What is the point of owning 25+ watt amps?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Minor, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Minor

Minor New Member

Rubbish, do you think Eddie V H got his tone for example by cranking up his volume on 1?

2. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

No because he didn't use an amp with a Master volume.

Dharma66 likes this.
  3. Minor

Minor New Member

This

4. Minor

Minor New Member

We're not talking about Master Volume, we are talking about VOLUME, which needs to be cranked up, though I would argue Master Volume also impacts tone to an extent

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

You're comical kid. I doubt you'll still be here in the morning though...

Did EVH ever use a 25 watt amp? In the early days, he'd probably laugh at you for the mention. What does EVH do these days to get "his" sound?

6. Redstone

Most amps nowadays have a Master volume. Not many people buy amps without a master volume and when they do, they usually buy an attenuator or live somewhere that they don't require one.

7. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

8. Minor

Minor New Member

JCM's don't have a master volume, nor do Plexi's, and I would argue they are the best

9. Minor

Minor New Member

You can bet EVH cranked up a 100 watter to volume 10, that's how he got his good tone

10. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:cool: I just read this entire thread. About 5 or 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.

You are all psychos. Says the man with the Robot in a Dog suit riding a Flying Pig Avatar.

:lol::lol: TWIN

MaxFrames and poeman33 like this.
  11. Dogs of Doom

A NMV amp is like having the volume on 10 all the time. You use the pre-amp to control the volume. There comes a point where the amp growls. You get a few notches of saturation, then it simply turns into compression.

Back in the days of VHI & Boston, compression wasn't widely used & it became the new effect. Makes for an always hotter signal & add a little verb, sounds huge. Nowdays, compression is so overused that people are starting to hate it. Getting tubes to saturate, while still letting them breathe is where it's at...

SteveGangi likes this.
  12. Redstone

What is this knob doing on my JCM800 2204 then?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Yes, I know Plexis don't have a MV, thats why you use an attenuator or install a PPIMV. You should hear MichaelRTs 200W Major with a PPIMV. One of the best sounding amps ever in my opinion.

13. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

yeah, i get that. i know lots of guys that use a lot of clean sound, particularly the chicken pickers, and none of them need or use 100w to get their tone.

i think the point he's making is that isn't lower wattage stuff used more than not.

for example, if a true poll were taken of this board and other groups, more time of total playing will be devoted to lower wattage. throw in noodling, practicing, rehearsal, gigs, recording, whatever. i'll bet that the low power outnumbers all.

at one time i did lots of studio stuff for radio ads and tv music for local broadcasters. we used some damn fine studios and they were used for numerous bands. and as legend has it, most recording, including mine, was done on the small stuff. [edit: i'm not legend].

14. Dogs of Doom

not a very good troll...

zachman and marshall1967 like this.
  15. Minor

Minor New Member

Dude you're an idiot, that's not a traditional master volume. Its just the volume control titled as MASTER. I had the same thing on my JCM1 and it affected the tone immensely. Master volumes should be separate from the VOLUME control to have any effect

16. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Probably won't be here much longer...

marshallman116 likes this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

Quoted for posterity...

SteveGangi likes this.
  18. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:D Uuuuhhmmmmmm.... You joined a Marshall Forum to complain about loud amps?

:scratch::scratch: TWIN

19. Redstone

I'm stupid now am I? Oh well.

P.S. It is the Pre-amp Volume that dramatically alters the sound, not the master, even on a 2204. You aught to get your JCM1 checked out, mine acts exactly as my 2204 does and pretty much any other master volume I've ever used does.

I think you are trying to describe a Plexi, where the volume does have an tremendous effect on the tone.

Fuzz2203 likes this.
  20. Dizzyg12

Dizzyg12 Active Member

I often test this theory by cranking my dsl40 or my blackstar ht60 when I see the neighbors walking around the neighborhood. The street is 20-25ft from my living room where I play. There's a Big bay window that Looks out to the street. The amp sits right next to that window. Never do I see anyone even remotely looking around to see where the noise is coming from. I do have some elderly neighbors, but I could easily go deaf with it cranked for extended periods.....and nobody has looked up from walking heir dog....not once.

My wife says she can hear me when she opens the Garage but she has ears like a bat. She can hear the DVR box recording....I think she's got voices in her head!.