What is Gain? Some asked me so here we go.!!

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by superleadfixer, Dec 8, 2006.

1. USAPatriot

USAPatriot New Member

Here's an interesting question. At least to me.
    I have an MXR-108 EQ that I run in the loop of my DSL40C. On one side of the pedal is a slider that says volume. On the other side there's one that says gain. I don't see how the two can be different. What's up with that? -Rod-

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

A volume control can be used to describe various types of signal level adjustment.
    A gain control is a type of volume control in that it controls the signal level more or less at the input prior to gain blocks. Lower levels will produce less gain which equates to a lower level signal at the output.

The M-108 from what I can tell has gain modules for input, each EQ band and output. So raising the dB of the input will increase overall gain of the unit, which may result in more distortion, whereas the volume slider will only affect what is being output post input and EQ gain blocks.

USAPatriot likes this.
  3. USAPatriot

USAPatriot New Member

That makes at least some sense to me. Could I assume that with the MXR's gain on max, the amount of gain would equal the amount of gain on the amp alone? Volume is basically dry signal pass-thru? -Rod-

4. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member