What does it do?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Sep 8, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what this Boogie does? Cool amp in great shape but being a Boogie it could be for rock, jazz, country...... never seen one. Love to try it though.
    https://reverb.com/item/27570735-me...ch-original-owner-new-tubes-amp-just-serviced

*I see tremolo in it so it may be for country playing.

Trelwheen likes this.
  2. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

This guy runs it Through its paces, definitely does more than country. Seems a nice amp.

Deep Purple fan and Trelwheen like this.
  3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks! Wow, that was more than I was expecting. You could probably buy that amp for about $550 but he won't ship it anywhere, man I hate when people do that. Put it up for sale on Reverb for Christ sakes and only the people that live in his town can buy it. WTF!

4. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt want to ship that thing either. Anymore shipping is ridiculous and im sure they wouldnt handle it with care. By the time you got it ide bet one of the speakers would have fallout out or who know what.

Notice how it son a dolly just to roll it out of the storage for pictures? He may of moved it 10' and used a dolly for just that short distance.

5. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

It's one of the least Boogie-like of the Mesa line, which is not a bad thing - just different.

It is powered by four EL84s. There are four 12ax7s in the preamp section. There is a contour knob which scoops the tone the more you dial it in, and seems to give the amp more growl at the same time. These amps are related to the Subway series. They make nearly 50 Watts. They've got maybe just a little more gain than a 2203 or 2204, but nowhere near the bottom end. The sound blooms beautifully with a lot of harmonics.

I had the 1x12 version for a couple of years. I used it for recording Rock and blues solos and single note passages mostly. Made some pretty decent tracks with it and actually got more than a couple of compliments on its tone.

From time to time I miss it, and more than once I've almost replaced it with one of the 440s like you are looking at. For the right player and the right material I think they are a true Mesa sleeper.

Edit to add: I usually ran it with a Mess Bottle Rocket overdrive in front. That would send it over the edge and it would scream like a wildcat

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thank you. Do you know about those speakers in this one, are they any good, what size they are? The amp is in great shape and even has new tubes, I think it would be pretty nice for the right music.

Trelwheen likes this.
  7. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

4x10 Combo - Jensen Vintage Alnico Speakers

The 440 is the big brother to the 44 I had. Same head, different speakers. Mine had 1x 12" C90 black shadow. love the C90.

These things are loud as hell. Their sound is unique, gobs of harmonics. Their strong suit IMO is screaming, blistering leads/single note passages (and some blues and classic rock general use.) But for most heavy stuff and where FAT tone is called for they are outclassed by the JMP 2203, VM2466, JCM800s, TC100 etc....after all, they're EL84 beasties. They do have their place though, no doubt. As I've said before, I still miss my 44 and would like to have another one sometime.

Snag that bad bitch....if you don't want it I'll likely buy it from you:cheers:

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thats good to know. I like most Mesa stuff, other companies are very hit and miss for me. Most have 2-3 amps I like and thats it, but Mesa has a wide variety, even though I may not like them all for "my" amp I can still see their potential for other players and they do sound good. I would love to go to Mesa and play all these amp's, you never know when a deal pop's up on one and it would be nice to know them.
    I was going to buy it, but I just ordered a Ceriatone Plexi type. That puts me back up to 3 main amps as well as my '89 combo, need to chill and learn them well. Then I think I'll take $1000 for amps to come and go, great for playing around with different stuff and learning about them.

Trelwheen likes this.