What do you use as a back up in case your amp goes down at a gig?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bogmonster, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

my main rig is a JVM...I always have spare tubes, fuses and a screw driver to get it running if its simple tube blowout.

Once we get to the point where we're playing full shows and if I ever decide to do multiple weekends, I'll carry the dsl20h as emergency reserve.
    For now we're only doing an hour long occasional single weekend nights.

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Transtube versions sound lots better IMO. Tank like for sure but it wasnt tonally the TSL.

3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not even a string? Man, play harder!! :applause:. Spare guitars, spare everything.

marshalltsl and Bogmonster like this.
  4. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I always carry spare fuses and tubes myself. It'll get you out of trouble for long enough to get you through a gig. A spare amp is always a must as well, or some form of backup.

I've narrowed my search down to a DSL1 head or the Bugera G5. Both can be had very reasonable and I can re-amp these through the Fryette to have them running at 50W. And both are tiny so they'll easily fit in my gig bag.

I've been fortunate enough to not have any major disaster before. I did have my MXR 10 band EQ die mid gig and once in practice. It left me down twice so I had to ditch it. I even brought it back to where I bought it, still under warranty and they checked it out and said it was fine. Then the same thing happened again. I've always been turned off the MXR EQ after that. Boss GE-7 is a far better unit.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

At the risk of going off topic......You are basing your opinion on the MXR on ONE faulty unit! Any device can be faulty, and yours clearly had an intermittent fault...

I sold my Boss GE7 and bought an MXR, which is tons better for these reasons:

1) Quieter! Less than half the level of hiss from the MXR unit
    2) 10 band instead of 7
    3) More usable. I tried to use the GE7 to take a little off the top of a bright Tele (is there any other kind?) - but the top band took out mids as well...MXR does exactly what I want.
    4) Better build quality - better sliders
    5) Arguably more head room, meaning it could be used in the amps effect loop if desired

The only advantages the GE7 has is being slightly cheaper, and not needing an 18V power supply!

Mitchell Pearrow and Bogmonster like this.
  6. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

Valid point. I meant that for my own application. I probably should have mentioned that. But you're totally right, MXR build quality is top notch. I've had my phase 90 on the board since forever and it's taken a pounding and still keeps on kicking.

KraftyBob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I usually replace my strings every month. If I were rich I replaced It every day, I like play with new strings. (D'addario strings). In a gig I play with strings that I replaced two or three days ago.

I've sometimes replaced strings 5 times in a month to just one guitar, my gig guitar it's a Gibson LP, sometimes I use a '12 standard or I use '18 classic.

When I was a little kid I loved broken strings in my first classic guitar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Jethro Rocker and Bogmonster like this.
  8. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

The bars and small clubs we play don't pay me enough to bring a back up.
    20 years ago you could make a meager living playing 3-4 nights a week, now you get a burger and 2 beers, so I play for my own enjoyment. If it breaks down, the show is over... if the bar owner expect me to be more professional, I expect to get payed like one.... but then.. I'm going on 50 and I don't care anymore...
    J

9. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

:applause::applause: I love your honesty and logic! You are an absolute hero. This is probably my favorite answer. Only downside is it doesn't result in me getting a new piece of gear.

tce63 likes this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Couldn't say it better myself :applause:

Bogmonster likes this.
  11. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Always had a Rockman Sustainer with me just in case but never used it !.......was lucky I guess!

Bogmonster and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. donwagar

donwagar Member

Years ago we used to carry a Traynor YBA-1 with us. It would work for guitar or bass if needed. I did have to use it one night when my old JTM60 overheated and died. Through an attenuator it worked great. But it was a tank to carry around.

Now I have a Boss ME-80, it'll work in a pinch. You have to remember to plug in the speaker sim or they sound real thin. The other guys have Sansamps just in case (I prefer the ME-80 to a Sansamp).

13. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I have carried my Quilter 101 as a backup and even used it once when the small tube amp I had wasn't cutting it (not enough headroom for the gig). It's *very* portable and sounds surprisingly good. I bought it mostly for a "grab and go" rehearsal amp but it's super easy to bring along to gigs... so I do :)

14. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

For big shows I bring a backup head or heads. Small shows I use a Zoom 505 into the PA for a backup and I make a sad face.

15. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

??? If you are playing for your own enjoyment you won't bring a backup of any kind because you don't get paid enough? Why even bother to show up then?

Bogmonster and John BNY like this.
  16. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I understand the sentiment if the sole goal is to make money. I frankly play only because I enjoy playing with the band and performing in front of an audience. We did two outdoor fundraiser gigs for free this past summer, and we loved it. For me, where the focus is on performing, I will bring a backup so that I don't have to cut my performance short, irrespective of whether I get paid.

17. Panda

Panda New Member

Small and light 100w Boss Katana head as backup for my trusty JVM410. I actually use it for rehearsals with a 1*12 Orange cab so it’s all set up. I keep it behind my cab just in case so I can swop it in mid-set if ever needed.

18. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If i am going to expend enough energy to bring a few axe's, pedal board, cab, and an amp i am committed to the gig regardless of whether i make money or not. There is no point in not bringing one backup head. To only bring one head seems like a real waste of time. This would be the same as taking off on a 1500 mile road trip with no spare tire...................

Bogmonster likes this.
  19. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

My Amps are in top condition. I take care of them and after 30 years of giging, I've had 1 tube failure on stage.....1.... I'll take the chance. There is a bigger risk MrVocal steps on my pedal board and break cables or drummerboy knocking his cymbal stand over and they fall into something

Bogmonster, Kookaburra and tce63 like this.
  20. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Pro Junior or Lead 12 Jacked into my cab

The PJ is my harmonica amp . The Lead 12 ia generally for if I have to play rock in a coffee house, but it's actually quite alright thru the cab n mic'd up