What are your thoughts on signature guitars/gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

After 50+ years of playing, I just don't see the need or desire for a "signature" guitar. I owned and played a number of 50's Les Pauls duriing the 70's and what most of us did was immediately rip out the guts and replace them with higher quality pickups such as Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncans. How does one have an accurate "reissue" of say Paul Kossoff's Les Paul when those were hand made guitars using 1950's components that are not available today? You can't build a brand new 60 year old guitar. Like the saying goes, "there's a sucker born every minute".

2. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Well-Known Member

What have you got against Slash?
    He may think you are a wanker too, but would he say that on a public forum?

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  3. KISS NATION

You also have to wonder if the pots caps and pickups in a signature guitar is the same as a particular guitarist uses.
    We can only take their word for it really.

4. KISS NATION

When you really think about it, signature gear is a scam when you consider what you get for your money.
    You can buy a Les Paul standard or traditional depending on whether you like the 50s or 60s neck. Have it fitted with 500k CTS pots and orange drop capacitors if it hasn't got them already and have it fitted with a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups and have the nut cut for 11s. What you end up with is a guitar that sounds almost identical to the official Gibson Slash AFD Les Paul for less than half the price. Plus you get to pick a burst you like in a colour you like instead of sticking with trans amber. You could then spend the money you just saved on a nice amp and a few pedals.

5. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Never personally been a fan of sig gear, don't believe I own any, although I do have a fairly stock Les Paul, but I've always seen those as their own thing and not quite a guitar made to some famous artists exact specs/looks, etc. Not knocking the stuff of course, to each their own, there's some killer pieces to be had for sure, that idea just never interested me enough to be an owner. I'd much rather buy something more on the unique/rare/collectable side and then personalize it somehow to further make it say "me" a little more than someone else.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  6. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

IMG_6254.JPG

Out of five electrics, three are signature models. I've switched pickups on all of them but otherwise, they are great.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, nice arsenal of instruments you have there.
    Cheers Mitch

stringtree and lp1987x like this.
  8. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I just added some sig gear to my stuff: 800KK. couldn't be happier with the amp.

9. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

Thank you. Over the years, I've continued to upgrade. Right now, I'm totally content with the guitars I have, but that could all change when the next bout of GAS hits.

I've been a Les Paul player for 30 years. However, I needed a guitar with a tremelo bar for the 80's cover band I'm in. The Tremonti is great because it plays as good, if not better, than my LP's but adds the bar.

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want a copy of someone else's quirky guitar, no matter how famous. But I could see appeal in having some features inspired by a famous player. E.g., Neil Young is a hero, and a black LP with a bigsby would get a lot of play time from me.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Active Member

Signature guitars have someone elses name on them. Yours is the name that matters, yours.
    It's ok I guess if you don't have to pay extra for the neck or component that has someone elses name on it, but paying for the privilege, to me, is more than slightly absurd.

12. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

Seems like "the same old" discussion everywhere with 3 basic answers.
    Like 'em
    They are stupid, hate 'em
    I'll buy 'em if they're good.

Far as I can tell, they're just another variable. They are not all the same, so why generalize? They are what they are and are subject to preference.

And to those that don't want someone else's name on their axe, I hope you don't have a Gibson, Fender, or countless other brands where the brand name is a person!

Sustainium likes this.
  13. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It’s just another sales gimmick . What are you really paying for here .

14. wmachine

Exactly the generalization I am talking about. Would you care to explain how a Johnny Mars Fender Jaguar is a gimmick, and how they are charging more for this gimmick? I fail to see how it is either.

15. KISS NATION

Probably because you could buy a new Fender Jaguar and have it fitted with Johnny Mars signature pickups/pots/capacitors/tuners/bridge and or tailpiece for a lot less money than his signature Jaguar.

16. sellen

sellen Active Member

Did a crazy thing 10 years ago, boughy the Gibson CS Angus Young Standard aged and signed NR20. Over 3000 Euro in 2009 - Crazy !!!
    To be Honest beside the value, it's not on my Top 3 of my Own Guitars- Got 7
    But the money would have been gone anyway, and it's kinda cool to have as a AC-DC Fan
    Play in a band, we play 4-5 gigs a year. Will never play the Angus sg . Maybe if i suddenly get a whole lot better :) You have to play like a god with those lightning bolt inlays. LOL

450px-Gibson_Sg_Custom_Shop_Angus_Young_Aged_and_signed (450x600) (2).jpg

17. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

My daughter has the Kurt cobain roadworn Jag and that sounds huge. Really great guitar

stringtree and rick16v like this.
  18. wmachine

That's exactly where you are wrong. If you'd look at exactly what it is, with all features considered, it is not just a "regular" Jaguar. It is more comparable to American Vintage model which sold new for a lot more. So your "probably" is a hard "no".
    That's why one shouldn't generalize.

Sustainium likes this.
  19. dro

dro Well-Known Member

How's this for a signature ?
    asat headstock.JPG asat headstock.JPG

20. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

I love certain signature guitars. Unless you get a guitar made with what you specifically want ie: pickups, inlays, neck profile, paint job etc your playing what someone else already has and probably made it famous playing. I own a Gibson hummingbird, I believe Keith Richards played one for years but I don’t listen to the stones and don’t really care if he played it or not I just love the sound of it. I also own an ESP James Hetfield Truckster. It’s a Les Paul shape but a slim neck not a baseball bat neck and doesn’t weigh a ton. Sorry but in experienced hands I think that guitar would play circles around your average Les Paul. Whoahhhh that statement might piss people off haha. But I also look at that guitar kinda like an investment. I didn’t when I bought it at all I just wanted it cause James is one of the best Rythm players that lived. Paid $2400 for it in 2009 and today it lists for around $6000. It’s discontinued of course that’s why. But damn those japs make a beautiful quality guitar. Bone nut, Sperzel locking tuners which is so nice, locking tailpiece so if you choose to remove all the strings to oil the board the tail piece doesn’t fall off. All the other things like premium hardware, EMG 81/60, premium woods etc etc. I mean I love my Gibson’s I own 3 but sometimes wish they had the cool user friendly things like a locking tail piece. My Gibson’s are harder to set up also and way more finicky but I still love them. Point of the story is I don’t really look at it as someone else’s guitar I look at it as mine and it kicks serious ass, it’s good at everything. When I do see him play it tho I always say to my wife “look he’s playing my guitar”. Its whatever you like and have fun playing. If you don’t like them just don’t buy them. Some are cheaper and maybe a ripoff but some like the ESP are pretty high quality beautiful sounding and playing guitars.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019