What are your thoughts on signature guitars/gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

True, but there are those that come with upgrades that you don't get on a standard model. By example, I've always loved the binding on the Paul Stanley model Iceman. That binding is not available on any other Iceman. I don't remember them being insanely overpriced either. Even the new Prestige PS10 is competitively priced at $2999.99 USD. If the PS10 were a Gibson, I'm guessing... $7999.99 USD?

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I can't get a black and gold Explorer like the Lzzy Hale. So I got that cause I like it. Sounds great, plays great. Can't care if or whose name is on it.
    Except Slash. I would never get anything with that wankers name on it.

Oh and it was limited edition, $2400 CDN. Check out the all black Explorer on Gibby's site. $4000 US. Why? Who knows...

[​IMG]

3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Science shows that signature models are better.

4. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

I don't care what my favorite players use.
    I actually try to use the 'not popular' brands of gear...some however, can't be helped.

I do own the Bill Kelliher Les Paul...I know he's from Mastadon and switched to ESP...other than that, I never heard of him before seeing the guitar on Gibsons website back in 2014.
    I bought the guitar because it was a cool color...gold burst. And had better specs than the standards at that time. (I do wish I had the money for the custom classic light that was also available that year)
    There isn't much stock on that guitar, I promptly swapped the pickups, the cream plastics for Black...so Its not really a signature any more...it's mine.

As for the Lizzy Hale above...I almost picked that up...again, because of specs.

I wish I'd have been interested in Gibsons sooner, 2014 is when I finally made the move over....but then again...maybe I'd just have more guitars.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

My only sig ax is My Kiesel Jason Becker 7 string. But i didn't buy because of the signature part, i bought it because it was simply the best USA made 7 string for features and construction at a price point just slightly higher than the imported competition. It was a no brainer.

[​IMG]

6. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I’ll just admit I bought my Iommi SG cause I’m a HUGE Sabbath fan and have been since hearing Iron Man on the cafeteria jukebox first day of high school 1976.

7. RobS

RobS Active Member

i got the PS10 in my sig over 20 years ago and its an amazing guitar and well worth the $
    I always wanted one and when the opportunity came up I grabbed it
    It just stays in tune perfectly and sounds amazing, sustains for a long time and hasnt required a truss rod adjustment since I first set it up back in the early 90's.

stringtree likes this.
  8. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I've actually played some guitar with Bill!
    Cool dude.

20190624_152151.jpg

9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Don't really care one way or the other, unless it's a Silvertone Paul Stanley, then i need it.

stringtree likes this.
  10. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Seen those guys a couple times, badass mofo's.

Sustainium and mcblink like this.
  11. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

12. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

While the Les Paul is not the original signature guitar , it is THE signature guitar , as the man himself was greatly responsible for it's creation

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  13. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

I have a few signature Guitars but I bought them not because they were signature guitars but because I liked they way they looked and the way they played. Including "Les Pauls".. But EVH's and some others.. 3 Amigos.jpg

EVH Axis.jpg

stringtree and marshalltsl like this.
  14. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Priced more because they deleted L Hale :p

Attached Files:

15. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I'm one of those cats who thought "I'll never buy a signature guitar." Well, a bud of mine called me and said he wanted to sell his EC Strat "Blackie.". It wasn't the custom shop version but it was a Deluxe model. So I traded an Avatar cab and some cash. Turns out to be a good investment for me. The guitar sounds and plays great. I have had trouble changing the high "E" string because of the short tuners on the guitar but maybe that's just the Ernie Ball strings I use. Definitely a quality instrument! ...but I probably wouldn't buy another if I had to pay list price...

16. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

I have a 96 Clapton Strat which I have relegated to #2 position now that I have an Elite. Bought it new and love it still but it could use a fret job soon. I just did my own setup on it - first time ever lol and it actually plays really nice now - I used the Elite as a kind of reference for action etc etc

Sacalait likes this.
  17. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Well-Known Member

This may have already been said, but using signature amps guitars and pedals used by a particular guitarist isn't all it's cracked up to be. A guy I used to practise with had the full Slash rig. AFD Les Paul, AFD100, JCM800 2203 reissue re tubed with 6550's, two vintage 30 loaded 4x12's, his signature wah and octave fuzz, a Boss DD3 and TU3 plus the MXR analogue chorus, a boost pedal and monster rock cables. All set up in his sound proof recording studio it sounded amazing as a few of us found out the night he set everything up. Regardless of playing ability and or skill level it sounded just like the album/recording/live gigs. It was shocking how accurate the sound/tone was. But as soon as you try to play anything other than riffs licks and solos by Slash which is possible obviously, the harder you had to try and the more work it would be to sound like anyone else. Which is why I just stick with standard gear. The closest I will ever get to slash is my 2013 traditional with Seymour Duncan alnico pro II pickups and a Marshall SL5. Which is more than good enough for my liking.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I dont buy stuff that is signature unless it is supreme quality and best of the best

19. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Only if Les Paul's name is on the headstock for me .

Adieu likes this.
  20. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I Love the photo that says "Dime your amp, otherwise the terrorist wins !" I love that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biddlin likes this.