What are your thoughts on signature guitars/gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

So I was thinking the other day...

I really would never want to play someone elses guitar. Not talking about gigging with an instrument a buddy lent you or anything, I mean signature guitars.

I think I get the general idea behind it, however when I get an instrument I like to make it my own, throw in my pickups, customize it the way I want etc.

It would bother me to death having someone elses signature on it. Especially the instruments that are blaringly obvious from the front, custom inlays that resemble the band logo, the signature on the headstock etc.

Guitars that come to mind are the Dimebags, the Jeff Hanemann ESPs and LTDs, the Ibanez Mick Thompson signatures with the word "Seven" all over the fretboard and so on and so forth.

I think if I ever got to design my signature instrument I would spec it out the way I want it and then have them engrave my signature on the backplate, either the trem cover or the electronics cover and ship the guitar with a blank one too. That way someone who buys it could just remove a few screws, take off the cover with my signature, put the blank one in its place and make the guitar their own. I could gel with someone elses instrument that way and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way?

Signature amps, pedals and pickups don't bother me. If they sound great, that rules and they are not in the spotlight like you and your guitar anyway. EVH amps come to mind, the multitude of signature wah pedals by Dunlop, Bareknuckle Rebel Yell, Juggernaut pickups etc.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts, cheers!

mAx___ and Bartrant like this.
  2. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Active Member

I like them if they are cheap and the specs I want. Most are out of my price range. The Daisy Rock has the Bangles guitar. It is under 500 dolars. I love it. And love the Bangles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

[​IMG]

Just kidding! I love some signature models, others aren't done so well. If it looks cool, and you enjoy the way it plays/sounds, why not?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    MarshallDog likes this.
  4. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

So you don't like Gibson Les Pauls? If you do, then you do like signature guitars, it is just a question of where you draw the line.
    Technically most brands are someone's name. So if you don't want someone else's name on it, you can always change you name to be the same as the brand name.

(You should be able to tell by my response that I don't the subject is important one way or another.)

twangsta and Mr. Natural like this.
  5. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I don't like signatures Guitars, exept the Eric Clapton strat (It is in my wish list) and LP. I tryed many Steve Vai Ibanez, a bunch of models avalaible but it's not for me.
    I have the Satriani Boss SD pedal, I don't use pedals but time to time I play It with my JCM900. Also I have the JVM410HJS, It is the signatures gear that I use the most.

Mr. Natural likes this.
  6. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I've always liked The Bangles.:drool:

I have four signature guitars.:ohno:

bullhead likes this.
  7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

It's more fun when you really don't know who the person is
    I didn't know who TF Mike Dirnt was ...the funny thing is I MET the dude about 5-6 years before his sig bass came out

I got a Jerry Donahue Tele that is KILLER. I did know who Jerry was when I bought it . That's not why I bought it. I snaggd it because it was $350 bucks and awesome

How long have I been playin LES PAULS ??

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Nah Ivy you're just making sumtin outta nuttin.
    You're right though maybe in some instances the makers go to extremes with the identifiers but over all it's nothing to get your shorts in a knot about.
    So like you wouldn't want a Joe Bonamassa or Ritchie Kotzen Telecaster for example.?
    My Muddy Waters Tele has his signature on the back plate. Why would I want to remove it?
    So what is it an ego thing.? When you're playing the Super Bowl you don't want the whole world to see that your playing someone else's spec'd guitar.
    Kotzen's Tele is a beauty of a guitar spec'd with features that he wants a guitar to have, with neck size, fret size, pick ups etc., etc., that suit his preferences of form, feel and sound.
    If you love everything about it then what the heck you're gonna get it right.?
    They are more expensive and are considered to be a prestige item like driving an Escalade in stead of a Grand Caravan.( not saying all artist sig models are built to a higher standard, mind you and a Grand Caravan is nothing to sneeze at right lol?).
    And what do you mean "make it your own?" It's a chunk of wood. It's not going to form fit to you like a pair of good sneakers. And if you're going to mod it well you wouldn't be buying Joe's Tele in the first place right?
    Nah Ivy you're just making sumtin outta nuttin.:cool:
    :2c::cheers:
    BP

9. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I have some signature stuff and the first and only signature I ever wanted was the YJM strat

Currently: Peavey Vandemberg (ok... That one I wanted too), LTD Alex Skolnick, LTD Stephen Carpenter, Dean Demonator David Vincent, Jackson Rhoads (Ok... I love that one)

Most of these guitars were bought because spec wise they were amazing and that's enough for me. I hate deftones, but my SC500 kicks so much ass and I've paid nearly nothing for it.

Goldfinger likes this.
  10. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Well considering a Les Paul is signature model....I love playing my signature gear!

Mr. Natural and Goldfinger like this.
  11. Filipe Soares

KH2... I still have one too...

and the most unicorn guitar I ever wanted is a signature: ESP KAI HANSEN RV300

12. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

you pay a lot just for that sig alone in most cases and rarely is it even close to
    what the signed artist plays.
    around here we see a lot of autographed guitars for sell too and the prices are
    inflated to laughable numbers. will not buy these either. not only is the price inflated
    just like the sig models now i have the burden of trying to protect the damn sig's.
    if i got the sig myself thats a different ball game.

13. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Over hyped over priced marketing.

14. Filipe Soares

the main issue I have with signature guitars is: in my time just hot shots had signature guitars, like malmsteen, clapton.... nowadays any halfass youtuber have a signature. there are so many signature guitars that actually you can find nice stuff for a resonable price if you don't mind the "name" (like my stephen carpenter. boy... i hate deftones but its a nice guitar).

Mitchell Pearrow and Goldfinger like this.
  15. blue

blue Active Member

I have a few signature guitars, none of them are from artists I actually listen to, a couple I'd never even heard of before! I just liked the spec of the instrument. These one's are just unusually specced versions of standard guitars, I don't think I'd go for any of the custom graphic, name inlaid on fretboard kind of signature instruments.

16. Filipe Soares

I really like testament, but not enough to buy a signature guitar. But I did because what you've said: SPECS.

I Wanted a full thickess "Les Paul/Eclipse" with a floyd rose. and that's exactly what it is. I don't like how de SD JB sounds in that guitar, soon I'll swap it.

blue likes this.
  17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have no particular prejudice against "signature" guitars. I own several Les Pauls and probably wouldn't throw an Angus Young SG in the recycle bin. I have no desire to own an Yngvie, but wouldn't mind an EC strat. As long as they play slick and fast, I'm good!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

I can appreciate that, but it doesn't bother me. Out of the 9 guitars I own, I have 3:

Frampton LPC - Frampton's signature on th 12th fret
    Alex Lifeson "Inspired By" ES-355 - Lifeson's signature on the TR cover
    Wes Montgomery L-5 - Montgomery's name on the tail piece

19. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

slick and fast the Yngwie is your ticket. dont let the scalloped neck fool you.
    its a very shallow scallop. they really are damn nice to play on too.

Mitchell Pearrow and Biddlin like this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Maybe. I played with one a couple of years ago, but did not get a good feel for it. I like guitars that feel "familiar" at the first touch.