what 4x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Exotic, May 28, 2019.

1. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

You found: a straight.
    You got: a 1960BV.
    You beat: me before I could find it.

Not just satisfied to playing "any old Celestion-loaded thing" like many fasdgety friends of my youth, you wisely chose Marshall.

This is the Eve to your Adam.
    The box to match the head designed to carry you to your next level: sireing several dozen RIAA-awards to adorn your future $4.6M Malibu Colony condo, which never, ever sees your presence due to endlessly touring the face of the earth.

I have advised many stupid people on gear for years, most of whom squirm and fidget on cost and cry "difficult-to-locate, why can't I use..."

No this aint you. Uh-uhh.

You bypassed the slant (coccoon beginers' first cab) and went not just for a straight, not just one that had a respectably decent grille, but you picked up The BV. King of all modern 4X12's.

You went for the throat and treated yourself to the best upfront!

Obviously you take your craft seriously, and its a pretty clear signal to others here about your character - that you wont be wasting time trying to get a good sound going.

Sure you could have found a BX (Queen of all modern blah blahh...) with some sweet greenbacks. Or some plain-Jane Lead 1960B with 75's but you went for The Metal with v30's.

Well done. You won this war but the battle for the airwaves still rages!

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  2. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

wow ,thank you ,thank you very much . now someone tell me where were my speakers made?

3. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

China. But do not let that detail bother you in the least.

It is a lengthy story why most Celestion products are produced and sourced in Asia, but the happy ending is that quality and production is higher than ever to supply global demands.

What I like most about it is, consistency.

Bust a cone, and an identical service replacement is available and shipping immediately, if not at a retailer locally.

I have some V30 made in UK including the original Blackback 55hz / T1871's but also many made in China. Id rather blow a common China V30 out in the field than a (now, today, Year 2019) handmade original.

Whats the difference in tone? Only an isolated mic placement can tell.

With a full band rehearsing or performing the subtleties are too minimal to differentiate SPL in human hearing really. Thats why I like and use them.

Enjoy that cab proudly.
    Learn to play loudly.

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

probably the bigger difference is if it's a 55hz vs a 75hz...

5. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

i must burn this multi ohm mono/stereo chinasaur dead with fire ,i will post again when this illness has remediate and a proper all uk made antique 1960 cab has taken root ,hahahaha j/k .
    this thing is huge for my room

Attached Files:

6. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

question : is it possible to wire a avt412 8 ohm cabinet to run in 16 ohms?

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

no...

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  8. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

so my only choices are run the jcm 800 with the 1960 cab at both set to either 4 ohms or 16 ohms .
    or replace the 8 ohm speakers in the avt with 16 ohm speakers ,and run both cabs at 16 ohms and the head at 8 .
    but getting 4 16 ohm speakers would be very expensive ? and ? which ones to get? . btw ,which do u prefer for a half stack if u were playing heavy metal? 4 ohms or 16 ohms ? and is 4 ohms safe for the head?

9. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Or you can ditch the JCM800 amplifier and get a newer 5-jack output Marshall and run both of your cabinets as is.

10. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

is that for real? what model marshall head has that ? just out of curiosity because i don't think i'll be ditching the jcm 800 .

11. mickeydg5

Did not you read the post?

It said a newer Marshall with the 5-Jack output.

Does it need to be explained any further?

Try google or just go to the Marshall website.

(pssst, I am giving you a hard time about it.)

12. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

talk about harshin my mellow . it's a toss up at this point between another 1960av ,or 4 16 ohm speakers in the avt412 . seventy 80 celestions any good? is it pretty easy to swap out speakers in a 4x12 cab?

13. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member Premium Member

Get the 1960AV. Send me the AVT to burn. I have a huge fire pit hand formed on an English wheel. It must burn.

14. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

hahaha that's funny i like that . it actually sounded ok when i used it (the avt4x12). i can buy 4 16 ohm speakers for 223 dollars shipped . i figure just label the 4 wires leading to the input jack on the back panel so i can take it off while i replace the speakers ,then just remove one at a time and replace with a 16 ohm one at a time ,no solder ,just disconnecting from the speaker tabs . use a dmm to make sure i come up with a 16 ohm load and i'm all set . of course i still have a smaller particle board cab . on the other hand a 1960av ,is gonna cost considerably more . unless of course i find one at the flea market . don't really need it though i'm all set with my half stack ,i just had my bubble burst of owning a full stack when all this went down . thanks for all ur help guys . u guys put me on the right track .

15. mickeydg5

@Exotic
    newer Marshall with the 5-Jack output

It is perfectly ok to plug a 16 ohm cabinet into the 8 ohm jack and a 8 ohm cabinet into the 4 ohm jack simultaneously.
    Do not worry about the math, just understand it works. It has been discussed many times.

JVM styles
    [​IMG]

2555X styles
    [​IMG]

DSL styles
    [​IMG]

2525 styles
    [​IMG]

SV styles
    [​IMG]

SC styles
    [​IMG]

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  16. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

well they solved that dilemma . thanks for the photos .
    but wouldn't it be best to plug the 16 ohm into the 16 ohm and the 8 ohm into the 8 ohm . or since ur using 2 mismatches ,u have to do it like u said? the 16 in the 8 and the 8 in the 4 ? oh i get it ,i guess .

17. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

18. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

This.

And make sure it’s over 180 watts handling if you ever plan to use the bottom cab alone.

But as others have said, I would replace all your cabs with a pair of Marshall A/B cabs. There rather cheap and available and won’t look stupid matched with some knockoff. Plus then you’ll actually have a Marshall full stack. Also 2 real Marshall cabs at 16ohms each let you run your amp at 8 ohms. Myself and many others believe the tone changes for the better when you use the highest impedance settings.