Whammy , Fill Me In Floyd / Kahler

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AlvisX, Feb 12, 2019.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Ive noticed that the bulk of you cats that lean toward the shred ,tend to prefer the Floyd over the Kahler
    Im a bit curious as to why y'all prefer one over the other
    ??

2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I'd like to know, too.

My guitars only ever had floyd style trems, so I don't even know what a kahler is like, just seen pics...

Also, this last year or two I've kinda moved away from the trems. Tuning in a group setting is kinda a bitch, and I was sorta feeling like I was beginning to rely on it too much for "noise".....squeals and divebombs and such. Sure, it's fun, but it's usually just wankery. Not exactly always "musical" IMO

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

My only qualification for this thread is I do own a Kahler that I had installed on a Hamer Prototype decades ago when locking systems became all the rage. The guitar was better without it for sure. It seems to me the stud mounted Kahler is more "isolated" from the guitar and some tone is lost, but I may just be making crap up :) I'm not really a Floyd fan either but I think it's better than Kahler. The vintage 6 hole Strat trems handle all my whammy needs. YMMV...

DaDoc, Jon C and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of the fender trem, just never got along with the Floyd! ymmv. :2c:

DaDoc and Jon C like this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I'm with Mitch …… I never took to the Floyd Rose , especially if it's not hard tailed …… I Palm Mute too hard … I do have a couple old favorite Washburn WonderBar (Shift 2000) Whammys …… ingenious Torsion Rod design !!

6. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I had a flat mounted Kahler floating system back in the '80s, that was the best trem I ever had.

To me, the mounting of Floyd's is important, as some I have work well, & some feel like I'm bottoming out, colliding into the body or cramped for space, so I don't hardly use the trem.

DaDoc and Jon C like this.
  8. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, I suspect the flat mount would be better than the stud mount version I have.

Jon C likes this.
  9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

IMO, stud mounted are an afterthought. Bigsby add-on trem's as well. IMO, the guitar should be designed w/ the trem & then you can do the best possible scenario. Not that everybody does the best possible scenario, even if given the chance...

For the most part, people are stuck w/ what's available. VH was Floyd's early endorsement, but, at one point, VH endorsed Steinberger. It seems that EVH guitars use some form of Floyd.

I'm not up on all the different Floyd's over the years. I just know that some seem just right, but others seem like they are installed wrong, where they feel cramped & limited in their downward motion. Feels like you'll collide w/ the body, if you get too radical.

Mitchell Pearrow and AlvisX like this.
  10. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    The "Original" Floyd Rose design had basically remained the same for decades [fine tuner model].
    Kahlers design changed alot, practically every year since the 80's.
    Some are great & some not so much.
    I like the Floyd locking nut better than a Kahler.

Mitchell Pearrow and AlvisX like this.
  11. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I'm a bar user, but definitely more as a way to accent phrases than a "my brain just froze, lets just wiggle the bar" thing. I've never had a preference though, guess that's weird because I can see where others like one form over another. For me, heh, as long as the guitar stays in tune when I do use it I don't care. Hell, my current sig tune uses at least three different types of whammy bars in places, and all used in different ways and I couldn't tell you one is a favorite or least fav. They all work about the same once you get used to them, at least that's been my experience.

EDIT: I guess I should add, I never owned a Khaler loaded guitar, Floyds were so readily avail when I was coming up that one never really crossed my path.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    AlvisX likes this.
  12. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Ive had one Kahler ,on a Flyin V about 30+ years ago
    One night in '88 I was at a gig playin I Shot The Sheriff ...broke my high E string during a solo.I go to quickly yank the string off ,to get it out of the way, only it ain comin off the gear ....because it's under a locking nut ....sliced right into my hand....blood everywhere ...I did it for ROCK !
    No more Kahler for me after that ....that's all it took

Ive heard that about the nuts , that people tend to like the Floyd nut better ,although I don't know why

flyinguitars, jmp45 and johnfv like this.
  13. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying the mental image of you playing "I Shot The Sheriff" with a Kahler equipped Flying V in 1988. Bonus points if the V was a loud color. EXTRA bonus points if you were wearing spandex! :lol:

DirtySteve likes this.
  14. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I had a Flying V Guild in the late 80's with a Kahler and also some other Japanese guitar ( Westone? ) that had a Kahler Floyd knock off. I didn't care for the Kahler design.
    The Floyd's were always better but today, there is no real contest. The Ibanez Edge smokes them both by leaps and bounds. The Ibanez is a very well thought out and designed piece of engineering. For a more vintage style, the PRS 6 screw works really well.

15. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:
    No sir , i was not wearin spandex

This woulda been the offending guitar though

[​IMG]

16. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

17. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

I like ibanez Edge and Lopro edge.

Edge
    1280px-Ibanez_Edge_view.jpg
    Lopro
    Lo-Pro_Edge_overhead.jpg
    ibanez-lo-pro-edge-03.png

Attached Files:

18. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Im still an Ibanez Edge fan. I dont use a bar much anymore but if i had to pick a system ide go with the Edge. Ive tried many in the 80s and 90s then once i got an edge i didnt try any others i kinda stuck to that one. Ive had a few Kahlers though

19. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not, but I've never even put my hands on a Kahler. I've had more FR equipped guitars over the years than I can count (3 at the moment), and they've always served me well, so I never thought about straying.

Alvin, I've noticed you taking a renewed interest in EVH lately (past several months at least) … is this why you're asking? Thinking about digging into a locking trem again? If so, I say go for it … they're a lot of fun!

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

When people say Kahler in a Kahler-vs-FR context, they mean the roller cam system... not Kahler-branded Floyd-type things

Original Edge / LoPro Edge do seem superior to OFR