Waza Tube Amp Expander into cabinet

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by AllenK, Nov 21, 2019.

1. AllenK

AllenK New Member

Hey folks,

I’ve had a waza TAE for a bit now and I love it. Although I do “feel” it in front of my amp, I’m able to dial in great tones that most importantly to me, are relatively consistent.

But I have a question about playing though a cabinet and speaker ohms. I primarily play a 20 watt Marshall studio vintage and a Vox AC15. Both Amp’s have variable ohm outputs. I play the marshall through a 16 ohm cab with a creamback and the Vox through a 16ohm alnico gold.

Playing through the TAE, I run out the 16ohm output of the amp into the TAE (set at 16ohm) and out the TEA to my 16ohm speaker. There’s a second speaker output on the TAE. If I run a second 16 ohm speaker, do I need to adjust the ohm to 8? For instance run out the 8ohm of the amp, adjust the TAE to 8 and out to two 16ohm speakers?

I know this is the case running directly from the amp (two 16ohm speakers out of two 8ohms outputs), but since the TAE is essentially a solid state power amp do I need to worry about it? Any harm doing either... staying at 16 with two 16 speakers or running two 16 speakers at 8ohms? Not sure how the TAE changes any of these standard protocols.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

This crossed my mind too (I have the TAE). The manual only states that it has to match the impedance of the amp. I do not think you need to change the impedance switch on the TAE when linking up two speaker cabs.

upload_2019-11-21_10-10-15.png

Attached Files:

3. AllenK

AllenK New Member

Thanks! That has kind of been my inclination. The unit is a reactive load box so it’s showing the amp what it needs to see to have it operate properly. The speakers seem irrelevant in that equation, especially since it can go to headphones and/or a recording interface or mixer. Seems like it wouldn’t matter.

I’ve plugged in a second speaker and it seemed to work fine. Just got worried that maybe I was just getting lucky

Kutt likes this.