watch this guy make a fool of himself.....

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Michael Roe, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Then look at this thread I posted here a while ago.
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/epiphone-gibson-differences.107337/#post-1824742
    Is this guy right? or am I?

2. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Whew! I saw the title, and I thought you were re-posting one of my videos. :rolleyes:

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Me too lol;)

tce63 and Michael Roe like this.
  4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Both of you are right?

Yes, pickup spacing varies a little on different LP models and on different SGs.

But all SGs have the pickups closer to the bridge than LPs. (Except for mid/late '70s SGs.)

The fretboards on both are the same length. But LPs have the neck pickup butted up to the end of the fretboard and SGs have a big space between the fretboard and pickup.

There's less difference for the bridge pickups, but generally SG bridge pups are a little closer to the bridge.

That makes the neck position and middle position sound significantly brighter, and the bridge position a little brighter.

Pickup position is one of the biggest contributors to the difference in tone between LPs and SGs.

The other big contributor is the unsupported length of the necks. LPs are mounted to the body at the 16th fret, SGs are free all the way to the 19th. Plus the neck/body join is a lot weaker and more flexible. The "longer" SG neck is whippier -- the attack is a little softer, and some bass gets absorbed.

A lot of people attribute the tone difference to the thin body and lack of a maple cap. That does play some role (particularly because of the weaker neck joint) but most of the difference is the pup positioning and long neck.

South Park likes this.
  5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Great video . Explains a lot harmonics is a big part of all this

6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Visually misleading things -- many modern SGs have 24 fret fretboards where the fretboard does butt up to the neck pickup. But the pickup is in the normal SG place -- they just extended the fretboard to cover the normal gap where the neck tenon coverplate usually goes.

SGs with angel wing pickguards can look like their bridge pickups are positioned differently than on batwing SGs. But the lack of a pickup ring and lack of bare wood between the pup and bridge tricks the eye and makes the pup look farther from the bridge on batwings.
    (Force your eyes to focus on the length of the strings from the center of the saddles to the polepieces -- they're the same on batwings and angel wings.)
    ------------------
    There's some tolerance/slop-factor in pickup placement. The CNC routs the cavities precisely, but they just eyeball mounting the rings. So can be off by maybe 1/16" in any direction.

But the SG neck pickup is more than 1/2" closer to the bridge than a LP neck pup. No matter how the tolerance variations line up, SG neck pup is significantly closer to the bridge.

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The two guitars where never meant to be the same one is high end one is mid range. That is way the necks are different

8. junk notes

junk notes Active Member

Good for him, that he just found out about the wheel.
    Guess he did'nt watch the video...
    Lester Polsfuss / Seth Lover have made it easy for him.