Was the cause of the rustling noise in a lot of new DSL40CR amps identified/fixed?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by patrick2099, Jul 17, 2019.

1. patrick2099

patrick2099 New Member

I tried a few Marshall DSL40CR amps, when they first came out. Several of them had an odd, windy, or rustling sound when I wasn't playing. Other than that, I really liked the amp.

Does anyone know if Marshall identified a cause for this, and if the more recently produced models exhibit the same behavior? I'm kinda hoping to find a floor model, that isn't making the noise, and just buy that one, rather than ordering online or getting a boxed one at a shop.

Thanks.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I thought it was the 20cr that had that problem

CraigP likes this.
  3. patrick2099

patrick2099 New Member

I didn't try any of the 20crs out -- only 40s. Not all of them had it, and I should have just grabbed one of the floor models that didn't, when I had a chance.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Any of the 40cr’s I have ever plugged into did not have the symptoms you described, but this is also on the floor of GC, so not much volume, sorry I am of no help!
    Mitch

5. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I had a bit of that with my 100HR but it has calmed down a bunch …… I think it just needed to blast a bit !!!

Mitchell Pearrow and matttornado like this.
  6. Javimart1212

Javimart1212 Member

Well, I had originally believed that the sound was fixed with a change of tubes on my DSL20CR, but the sound was there after about an hour of playing. I looked for a fix as it has to be something on the PCB.

Major props to Sixstring63, a forum contributor, who traced the sound to a faulty C4 cap. heres his post:

"Finally got it figured out. Cap C4 (10nf) coupling cap from V1b to V2a was the culprit....The DC voltage at V2a was very high at about 11v and that kept telling me something was goofy..."

So I recommend any DSl20 owners try this.... as for the 40 owners, maybe you should look for the equivalent in your model. Its worth a shot...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

i have a 40CR too. just had it in for service. the volume faded out occasionally and then one night at rehearsal, it died permanently.
    The Marshall service center could not replicate the problem so Marshall told them to replace the mother board. so far so good but it still has the original JJ tubes.
    I should replace soon I had it since April 2018.

Mitchell Pearrow and Musicmaniac like this.
  8. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Active Member

I just ironically posted a nad for Dsl20cr and only noise I had was high end noise from V1 JJ tube. Changed out all tubes because the tubes themselves were rattling and amp is silent and sounds amazing. Love it

Sorry never heard a 40cr that was noisy

9. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You mite have box cars in the signal . It is frequency spikes in the signal . A problem with high gain circuits . Try to change preamp tubes

Bull Rock and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Active Member

I could literally hear my tubes not only making an unpleasant high frequency noise they also rattled. I would change em out, mine were dated 2017 on tube.

11. Tomm

Tomm New Member

Just got dsl40cr 2 weeks ago. Love the sound but at medium to high volumes there is definitely a noticeable hum when guitar volume is off and amp sitting idle and not on stand by. It’s only when gain is all the way up. So far not the end of the world loving the amp.

12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Mine is pretty much silent, just the expected levels of hiss inherent to all-tube amps at high volume.

I think the most cited problems with the 40CR were to do with switching anomalies.
    Front panel and footswitch (2-button and 6-button).
    6-button switching faults seem to be fixed on the most part by using a TRS cable instead of the supplied TS.

Mine has a minor switching error at startup, were FX loop on/off settings are forgotten and have to be reset.

As for whether Marshall has fixed 40CR problems at source is hard to gauge, as they never really admitted there were problems in the first place.

Bull Rock and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would make any difference if amp manufacturers shipped the amps with the tubes removed? Then when the end consumer buys it they would have the option of having the seller install them, or for most of us here, let us do it ourselves when we get the amp. I have a hard time with the idea of having to change tubes on a brand new amp. If you prefer a different set that’s one thing, but a brand new amp should work out of the box.

These heavy amps have to be getting bounced around during shipping which can’t be ideal for the tubes. And even if the seller installs the tubes at least they would only be in during the final leg of the journey.

And for those that think someone shouldn’t buy a tube amp if they don’t know how to install tubes, I don’t think that’s necessarily fair. I have a friend that’s a really good guitarist, but is technically challenged. He would prefer to pay someone to change tubes, bias, etc. That shouldn’t prevent him from owning a tube amp.

14. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

That noice could be a lot of things . Changing tubes sometimes helps.no two amps play the same you should test the amp you will take home

15. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

First one I tried had the rustling. 2nd fine so far. Don't think its tubes because it doesn't get any louder when you turn the volume up.

matttornado and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. SkyMonkey

The power amp on an MV combo is essentially fully open?
    The MV is before the power amp, only attenuating the incoming preamp signal?
    Therefore any inherent noise from the power amp isn't attenuated by the MV?

17. i3oosted

i3oosted Member

Mine does this but haven’t taken it to be repaired yet. Changed all tubes to known good working ones but still same problem.

18. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

I too am cautious about the CR line.

You could go for a used mint DSL40C. All the so-called problems with it, resulting in the CR line, are due to low volume players wanting to use it as a channel switcher for solos when there is a shared EQ

I use mine as a two channel amp i.e. clean amp Green 2 and dirty amp Red 1 (which doesn't have EQ mismatch problems) and I then use a boost pedal in the loop for solos. Any OD pedal set as a clean boost will do. In a band context the stock speaker is fine and makes for lighter lifting.

The DSL40C represents a very economical route to some fantastic live tones.

19. SkyMonkey

I think the OP has already said the best approach to buying any tube amp.
    It is quite an investment in something you want to bond with, not fight against.
    Try a 40CR at a local shop, from the floor display, tested for at least 1/2 an hour, with your own guitar, and a list of issues to look for.
    If the shop sells one boxed, ask to unbox and test as above. Don't leave the shop with an untested amp.
    Not practically possible for all, but the best advice I can give.
    I am lucky that my LGS is a Marshall stockist and within walking distance (but not carrying a DSL40CR!).

20. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

I agree, try the floor model and take that one if it sounds great. I played mine in the store about 45 mins and took that one. It’s been over a year and hasn’t skipped a beat. It’s mouse quiet when on high volume and gain not playing and I’ve never experienced any of these FX LOOP memory issues when first starting up the amp. The way I left it is the way it is when I start it up. I play hard rock and Heavy Metal on mine so I use clean crunch green and OD red with gain knob at noon boosted with a TS9. I did change the power tubes about a month after purchase but that was just out of my curiosity, I thought the stock JJ’s sounded great and they’re my spare set now. I don’t really like buying floor model anything, I look at the floor model and try it whether it’s an amp, bike, guitar, gun, chair at IKEA etc and then i say “cool I’ll take it go to the back and get me a new one in a box”...... sometimes you just gotta take the model you know works, as long as there’s no dings or tears or blemishes take a floor model. I might be speaking out of my ass but I think the 40CR just might be the best Marshall combo amp produced yet, but that might start some fights lol. I find myself plugging in to this amp over my JVM 210 even when no ones home to play loud now. Perhaps they sorted out some of these glitches on the later models, or they do need to be shipped without tubes and maybe packaged better. I believe mine is a late 2018 model but I’d have to check again.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.