WARNING, buying old Valves

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Seanxk, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Does it work, yes, does it sound good, yes = it's a good tube. No to either of these questions = a bad tube.

Amadeus91 likes this.
  2. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

They were one of the top valve companies back in the old days. I think they invented the KT88.

You can tell a lot about a valve with a visual inspection, assuming you know what you are looking at and your eyes still work with the aid of both reading glasses and magnifying glass... (posting for a friend)..

3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Lions are in many countries. Why associate with China?

upload_2019-10-5_23-41-48.jpeg

DaDoc and Peter McAteer like this.
  4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Tubes made in "the good old days" by the likes of Mullard, Amperex, GE, Tung-Sol, Telefunken, Siemens, Philips, Sylvania, etc. were built to a very high quality standard and they rejected and crushed any tubes not meeting their rigid quality control standards. Mullard in particular was known for pulling a REALLY hard vacuum which contributed greatly to enhanced tube life.

All tube factories still in existence today will ship tubes that any of the old manufacturers would never let get out the door. The Russian Reflektor factory and the Chinese Shuguang factory both have a practice of shipping anything out the door that looks and acts sort of like the tube it's supposed to be. Quality control is questionable at best, and at worst, when it happens, it's a happy accident.

Today, you can get good tubes but you pay a premium for tight tolerance matching and extended burn-in period. Things that weren't considered necessary back in the golden age, because the manufacturing quality was so high and acceptance standards were high and rigid.

Yes, there IS something about vintage/NOS tubes. It's the quality standards that went into them, in addition to a level of tube buildlng expertise that hasn't been seen since the Sylvania-Philips and Mullard factories shut their doors.

That doesn't mean there aren't some good new built tubes to be had these days. But the odds of any given one of them being built to Mullard or Sylvania quality standards are not particularly good. If you do find some good ones, they should sound like some NOS classic examples. They might even last as long, if their vacuum is as as hard.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. Seanxk

Seanxk Member

Well they did sell for £29.00 ( perhaps ), anyway my concern apart from that I originally posted, was, the Mullard EL34 production evolution numbers went from x f 1 up to x f 5, starting in the 50's and ending production in the 80's ( guessing ), now that ''Mullard'' logo is 1970's and on, yet all three valves have the same codes ( even that's odd/rare ) all dating from 62 which is correct for x f 2 but not for that logo which is x f 4 and 5.

6. Seanxk

Seanxk Member

Personally I would have kept a few.

I do like to buy New and NOS and I will buy some New current EL34's for my SB mk2 which is thrashed regularly.
    But those of us who own a JTM45/100 and especially the one with the RS choke which is running 580V on the plates with some even higher, new production KT66 will not stand up for very long, but she's happy with 4 x GEC KT66.
    Ratings for China/Russian are around 500V max, GEC 550V ( and the rest ).
    I'd be too nervous to gig it with new ones to be honest.

7. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

i have always thought this , if like me you know nothing about tube recognition -is it good , is it just old shite that that should have been binned along time ago , I've read lots about nos tubes , and no thx i'll just buy new and miss out on the expensive nos tubes experience
    and vintage speakers is another roll of the dice .i'd rather buy new and know what I have

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Gold Lions didn't come sealed in plastic bags from the factory. Somebody put the plastic on long after the fact.
    Which just goes to show you that what you are buying is so questionable.
    It's convenient that you can't look inside at what you are buying until the plastic is removed...:rolleyes:
    It's a fabrication.

If you are buying "NOS" tubes:
    make sure you can see the whole tube insides, top to bottom before you shell out your cash.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019 at 7:01 AM
  9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If those are fakes then someone went to a great deal of effort to duplicate the details of originals. I would be inclined to believe that they are real and original.
    Of course I could be wrong.

I just bought an apex matched quad of Chinese KT-66's with a one year guarantee, issued by the seller, good for any failure other than broken glass.

For just a hundred bucks for the brand new set, I didn't have to struggle to make the decision to buy them.