Vox ac30cc2

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by rmlevasseur, Sep 4, 2015.

1. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

Anybody played one of these? I see one local that has perked my interest. You-tube vids sound pretty nice. Don't have an el84 amp. Any idea of a good price? Looks like they were over 1k new, but I don't see much demand for these.

2. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

5 to 600 is a decent price I think...

I brought mine to "original vintage specs" per some online source that I cant think of atm...

replaced the ceramic caps with silver micas.

guys seem to either love or hate these amps. I enjoy mine. its not an amp that sounds great "on 10" imo...its got a sweet spot where it sings. pretty darn loud too. nice cleans, nice crunch.

the dials are not intuitive imo...but once you get used to the interactive nature of the controls, you can dial in some nice tones.

600 if its nice and clean is good.
    500 if its little more beat cosmetically.

price will depend on the speakers as well...those alnico blues are expensive.

3. rmlevasseur

Great info, Ty.

scat7s likes this.
  4. cornhusker86

cornhusker86 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love mine. The master volume comes in handy. Once the greenbacks are broken in, the top boost channel comes alive. The reverb and tremolo are also excellent.

dualampman and scat7s like this.
  5. scat7s

the trem is very good.

the reverb is pretty good. i gotta be honest mine isnt great...but very usable when set dark and more on the subtle side. when its brighter its got an annoying freq going on or something...

the effects loop is a nice feature, but i actually have never tried mine more than just making sure it worked when i bought it.

if i remember correctly there were certain production years where there were some complaints about the loop, but it was corrected in subsequent years...again if i remember right, it was a single component that was recommended to be changed in the loop circuit.

oh, and there is something funky about the way the standby switch is incorporated into the circuit where it will fry rectifier tubes prematurely. i dont know if they ever addressed this at the factory...but it is recommended that you leave standby on when you power up.

some guys will just remove it altogether from what ive read.

6. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

I've got an AC30cc1 which is kind of an odd beast. It is the same as the cc2 as far as the circuit goes but came in a slightly narrower cabinet and sported a single Celestion NEO 12" speaker. In this config it is nearly 20 lbs lighter than the full AC30 with 2x12s which makes a huge difference when lugging it around.

It really does sound great - it nailed the classic Top Boost VOX tone amazingly well with that speaker. I replaced the NEO with a Weber Blue Dog (either 30w or 50w, I can't remember) a number of years ago and have never looked back. I've also got an AC15cc1x with a Celestion Blue that sounds great as well.

The AC30 is a classic amp that can do a decent range of tones. However, the chimey cleans up near the edge of tube breakup is very unique to this amp and the "cc" version does it well. The combo of a Rickenbacker 360/6 or 660/12 with this amp will bring tears to your eyes.

dualampman and scat7s like this.
  7. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

Great amps, it's successor the c2 has a solid state rectifier, mdf cab and different speaker. Makes the cc2's more desirable. I'd grab it.

Peace

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Fantastic classic rock tones if youre into that, I've got an AC15.

9. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

I forgot about that. My buddy picked up an AC15c1 and we did a bunch of A-B testing with my AC15cc1x. In a blind A-B both of us could pick out my amp nearly every time. We even put a 15w Blue in his (replacing the Greenback) to try and eliminate that as a variable. We were still able to pick out the c1 vs cc1 most of the time with the cc1 being the preference.

The AC30cc2 comes with Warfdale speakers that don't get the credit that they deserve. They actually sound really nice in that amp. Very much a G12H kind of sound that works well. The newer c2 comes with Greenbacks - more popular but not really better sounding in that amp (in my opinion).

Söulcaster likes this.
  10. scat7s

so whats up rm? are you trying to work it out? or did you pass?

11. rmlevasseur

Just got back from playing it. Really like it. Much more gain than I anticipated too, but I liked it. I must be getting deaf, because everywhere I read said this amp didn't sound good at lower volumes, but I thought it sounded great. Of course I do tend to play a little louder than "bedroom", lol. My ATM limit wouldn't let me take what I needed so will pick it up tomorrow. He said he would hold it, but if he changes his mind I am fine with that too because half of me wants him to keep it for HIS benefit. Nice kid selling, but he wanted to move to a fender. Amp looks mint and I didn't detect any functional problems. I prolly could have dickered him lower, but the kid was so courteous I didn't have a problem reaching a price.

One question though....the "tone" switch next to the master volume. It appears to be a high cut, where you are cutting the presence as you turn it up, correct? Kinda the opposite of what I expect from a presence type pot. The tone knob had very little effect on the sound. Is it supposed to be so subtle? Was the only thing that made me wonder a little.

scat7s likes this.
  12. cornhusker86

cornhusker86 Well-Known Member

On my amp the tone cut is most effective w/ the top boost channel.

13. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

The tone cut next to the MV is very different than a Presence control. It is actually a treble cut control very similar to the tone control on your guitar but I think that is sits right after the MV in the circuit. It is definitely more pronounced in the top boost channel since there are more highs to cut. But it should affect the normal channel as well.

You should be happy with that amp.

I've experimented with new production tubes in mine - I tried Mullard RIs and Tung-Sol RIs as well as a set of TADs and even some old Groove Tubes EL84s. I think that I actually have the Tung-Sols in the power section. I can't remember the pre-amp tubes but I'm pretty sure that I have an older Blackburn Mullard ECC83 (12AX7) as the first stage preamp for the Top Boost Channel.

I do remember that JJs did not work in that amp at all for me. I think I ended up using EHs in critical positions (other than V1) and may have left a chinese tube in the trem oscillator position....

cornhusker86 likes this.
  14. scat7s

the tone cut to me, is more of a mid-cut...thats what i hear.

it is part of the power amp circuit. if you keep it on 0, fully counter clockwise, your more in marshall crunch-like territory imo....fully clockwise, 10, is sort of the classic glassy vox tone (again imo) YMMV.

15. rmlevasseur

Is the pot supposed to be so subtle? I could barely tell if it is working.

16. scat7s

did you link the channels?

i think like the other guys were saying, it will be more noticable with certain settings than others. it is subtle, but once you get acquainted with the amp i think youll hear it more.

all of the tones and volumes are interactive (with channels linked) and will either enhance or cancel each other out, depending on how dominant you set one knob to another...

with the tone cut on, i find the amp appears to "clean up" a bit. keep it off, there is more midrange crunch. i typically run about 3/4 on the tone cut knob.

17. scat7s

cornhusker86 likes this.
  18. rmlevasseur

[​IMG]

Got her home. Really like it! Been wanting another combo and was considering a DSL40c, but one listen to the cleans on this and I was hooked. Been wanting a crunch amp too, and this fits the bill nicely. Not a scratch on her. I paid $600, which I think is a great deal for an amp like this. I probably could have dickered lower, but seller was great and was such good condition. Asking was $700. It has the footswitch too.

I am very happy with the wharfdales. Not sure why they got so much hate. Reverb is kinda meh, and so far it doesn't seem to like a ts-9 or morning glory up front too much, but haven't had much time with it yet to tell for sure. I can tell the knobs and options will take quite a while to tweak.

The owner said the tubes are original. They sound good now but I think it is time for some new ones. It is my understanding AC30s can chew up EL84s pretty good. If you Vox owners have any recommendations for tubes and settings I'd love to try them. From what I have read, careful selection of the rectifier tube is also necessary. I think I am gonna stay away from the standby switch too, although the previous owner said he used it without issue.

dualampman, Swede, scat7s and 2 others like this.
  19. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

Very nice. That's a Mike Campbell rig you got there...

20. scat7s

thats a good price dude. congrats