Volume Pedal Vs Guitar Controls

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by CraigP, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:26 PM.

1. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Is the volume pedal effect the same as manipulating the guitar volume controls for controlling gain/attack? I have not tried a volume pedal yet but am recently thinking it would be good to place inline with my tuner, wah, flang, dist and delay. Also, I run the mod effects in the loop so of course if I got the pedal I would try it in the loop and out front but I am curious to how y'all are running the setup.

Also considering an ISO power supply. Found a leaking battery corroding the contacts in the pack of 9v I have in storage! I would assume that this could run the pedals and amp from the same outlet with no ground issues?

2. geddy

geddy Member

With vol pedal watch out for impedance difference s in loop and in front of amp

CraigP likes this.
  3. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Not familiar with that scenario. What would the issue be with a mismatch and how can I determine proper configuration?

4. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

The only volume pedal I had was on my Boss GT 10 Processor.

To me, it just adjusted the volume from full on, anywhere in between, and to off, thats about it.

The guitar volume pot rolled down, can at least clean up the signal depending on what pickups are being used.
    A volume pedal, to my knowledge won't do this.

I think it depends on ones rig being used, if one requires a volume pedal.
    I think one would want the volume pedal to be first.

What are you trying to achieve with using one..?

jmp45, mirrorman and CraigP like this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"Is the volume pedal effect the same as manipulating the guitar volume controls for controlling gain/attack?"

Yes, listen to many Jeff Beck albums.

stringtree likes this.
  6. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

To be able to roll off into clean territory. I kind of figured it was as you experienced, that it would just adjust volume and not affect the dirt. Thanks for the info.

stringtree likes this.
  7. stringtree

Thats just my experience.
    I never tried, or even thought of using a volume pedal as how I use the volume pot on my guitar.

I would think they would be different. One is rolling the volume down at the source of the pickup, and the other is in the chain of pedals after. Which has no effect on the pickup, no...........

I'd like to see more people speak on this...
    This is turning out to be interesting! :dude:

Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  8. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

One difference id expect (though I haven't tried it), is that a simple passive volume pedal straight after the guitar could dull the tone a bit, due to it loading the pickups. If its anywhere else (eg after a buffer, or a tuner with a buffer, or in the loop), that wouldn't happen.

CraigP and stringtree like this.
  9. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

I have only used mine in a send/return loop.
    Used in that manner, it is similar to what @stringtree described; it works the same as a master volume on an amp with the difference that I can control it with my foot rather than having to use my hand (don't have to stop playing to tweak the volume).
    I have not noticed any increase or decrease in gain or overdrive like when rolling off guitar volume.
    My volume pedal is a Dunlop DVP1, but I noticed a similar reaction from the POD XT Live that I previously owned when using the pedal for volume instead of wah.

stringtree and CraigP like this.
  10. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think it depends on how you play.
    Beck is one method, but Knopfler is yet another.
    If your fingers are busy picking the strings, it is difficult at best to manipulate a guitar control as well.

If you listen to some of Knopflers stuff, especially the slower stuff such as Brothers In Arms you can hear how it really makes a difference.

11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I don't have any loops, I use a EB volume pedal at the end of the chain just for levels. Guitar v pots for swells and rolling back.

12. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

If you want the volume pedal strictly to clean up your signal then one of these may help.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...sor-evolution-orange-underdrive-effects-pedal

I was looking for a volume pedal and a fellow forum member turned me onto it. I use it to clean up my Vintage Modern and it works pretty well. Another cool thing about it is that you can EQ it to bring back some of the frequencies you lose when you cut the volume to clean up your sound.

CraigP likes this.
  13. stringtree

Thanks for sharing this! Major Cool! :dude:
    How can this clean up the amp that is set for dirty tones....this pedal sits in front of the amp, no...

From Musiciansfriend,
    With EOU you can tailor your cleaner tone with the four pots. The Evolution Orange Underdrive works by lowering the midrange as that is where the overdrive mostly is. You can dampen the amplifier input with the EOU’s Volume control and then set the Bass and Treble to tailor your clean tone. EOU can also be used to boost mids by settings the Midrange and Volume up.

It does work!!:metal:

Found a youtube clip...

pedecamp, JimiRules and CraigP like this.
  14. chromeboy

chromeboy Active Member

I use a morely Mini volume pedal and it's first in my effects chain. In my experience my volume pedal will clean up the signal but only when really turned almost all the way down. The way I use my pedal is when I'm playing dirty with some really good crunch and even solo type of distortion I will use the pedal for turning down the volume for saturated rhythm then just turn it all the way up for solos. I do use the volume pot on my guitar as well when I'm away from my pedalboard. I have never used mine in the loop as someone else said so I have no experience with that. I would see if you can find one you can try out and see if it's something that you might use.
    Good luck

CraigP and stringtree like this.
  15. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

No problem! The key is to put it early in your chain. I have my guitar running into my tuner first then the underdrive.

Yes, it works really well. I was using my volume knob to clean up my sound, and it did work, but there were times when I needed to be able to go from clean to dirty quickly without having to stop strumming, and this does the trick. @pedecamp is the one who told me about it and he has experimented with different settings and sounds. I pretty much just stick to having it clean up my already dirty sound. I've found that with my Les Paul and SG I can go from full overdrive to a gritty clean on my bridge pickup just by stepping on the pedal. If I step on the pedal and switch to the middle or neck setting I get a more lush clean.

CraigP, pedecamp and stringtree like this.
  16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I don't know how but this thing really works, well enough I decided not to get a Bat Cat Unleash and better than any other pedal I tried, its the best $80 I ever spent to do what this thing does. :yesway: