Volume pedal as “attenuator” in JCM 800 4210 effects loop!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by WholeLottaGlove, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

IF you choose to use a 2nd amp (ex. stereo power amp), you can eliminate the tone change issue, by returning to the 2nd amp instead of the loop return in the head. ;)

Generally, when dealing with a line level signal (like from an fx loop), you want to use a low impedance volume pedal (same for expression pedals) ex. Boss FV-500L.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    WholeLottaGlove likes this.
  2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

e65741eaf102e62e0ec2e9ed93305539.jpg technically an attenuator is anything that does this. Doesn't necessarily have to be speaker to amp attenuation. I have hifi amps with what are called stepped attenuators for volume controls.

zachman likes this.
  3. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    So you're saying anyone looking for an attenuator for a tube amp should buy a volume pedal because there is no difference ?
    I digress. Until yesterday i had never heard anyone confuse a volume pedal & an attenuator for a tube amp.

4. geddy

geddy Active Member

Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you really not understand this conversation?
    A vol pedal will attenuate your signal before the amp or in the loop.
    It is not a power attenuator eg a Marshall Power Brake. These are installed between output transformer and speaker.
    Both will reduce your volume.

5. charveldan

We certainly wouldn't want to confuse anybody now would we ?

6. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Then call it a power attenuator. Not just attenuator.

charveldan likes this.
  7. charveldan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuator_(electronics)

This is interesting.

Audio attenuators[edit]
    A line-level attenuator in the preamp or a power attenuator after the power amplifier uses electrical resistance to reduce the amplitude of the signal that reaches the speaker, reducing the volume of the output. A line-level attenuator has lower power handling, such as a 1/2-watt potentiometer or voltage divider and controls preamp level signals, whereas a power attenuator has higher power handling capability, such as 10 watts or more, and is used between the power amplifier and the speaker.

I never knew the word "attenuator" applied to so many different applications.

8. zachman

He didn't confuse an attenuator device/Power attenuator with a volume pedal (Voltage attenuator).

'You' confused/failed to understand the definition of the term attenuator, and therefore misunderstood his correct grammatical use of the term in his description of his use and solution.

FogDweller and Gunner64 like this.
  9. charveldan

Yes thats true but im a product of my environment.
    Ive heard the word "attenuator" 15,000 times the last 15 years about 1000 times a year on multiple guitar forums so there's that.

10. zachman

I realized what he was talking about immediately. :shrug:

Then, no worries because it appeared to only be a matter of a reading comprehension deficit, not understanding how an effects loop works and why, and vocabulary limitations on your part, which has now been rectified, BUT-- on the positive side-- You learned something new, and now you know that the answers are only important when you ask the right questions, so if one assumes the person you're talking to knows something you don't, you increase the chances of learning more in future interactions.
    :cheers:

charveldan and WholeLottaGlove like this.
  11. echoplexi1974

echoplexi1974 Member

My god charveldan, stop the madness and change some filter caps or something.....

12. charveldan

[​IMG]
    This thread has inspired me to hook up the toaster to the lawn mower to see what happens ...

13. zachman

images.jpg

FogDweller and WholeLottaGlove like this.
  14. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have used devices in the loop to lower volume. This can work but you are likely to introduce a lot of noise. This is going to be more noticeable the lower the volume is lowered.

15. Davetheampguy

Davetheampguy New Member

Charvel Dan...sigh. First of all..the effects loop is between preamp and power amp. All a volume pedal does there is lower signal voltage from preamp before it hits poweramp. Common basic shit....to say it will hurt something shows your true lack of knowledge on amps.

Now...on to you just tossing insults...you are a pathetic fat loser...living in a shithole rental...on disability for schitzo effective disorder. The only thing you own of value in this life...you bought with settlement money from the governement. You have never earned a thing in your pathetic miserable life.

You ride a bicycle...because you have a million dwi's...the last one you went to prison for. Icing on the cake...a giagantic huge fat wife. He also has never been in a band...his timing is so far off its not even funny...he is a legend in his own mind.

Everything I have said is 100% fact and true....I know the dude...I had to damn near get a restraining order for him to stop stalking me...any admin with a brain would ban this guy...and rid the site of his constant trolling. He is genuinely froot loops...and should not have access to this site. I am a great amp tech...but dont ever post here...specifically because of him.

Check mate. Bitch.

zachman and WholeLottaGlove like this.
  16. charveldan

Food prep is vitally important.

17. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Dan is funny.

They should call those things before a speaker cabinet a power amplifier attenuator exclusively and never anything else or parts thereof.

The point being that in electronics there are all sorts of attenuators so lets be more discrete.

18. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Why are we all humoring @charveldan ? He clearly either misunderstood or didn’t carefully read the OP. Then he doubled down in his mistake. Then after everybody corrected him he chose to be deliberately obtuse. And now when it’s obvious he gets his mistake and is back pedaling he’s getting a pass. When a person stands corrected, they get the pass, not after being nasty to everyone trying to set the record straight.
    :io::io:

19. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I gave no pass. I know what he is doing. It is just that Dan is famous and famous people get away with lots of things.

Trapland likes this.
  20. charveldan

Imagine that taking text out of context, nobody does that.

I was up to no good just as you suspected.

Not to mention this thread has disclosed there are about 1000 different applications for attentuation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.