vinyl and cd’s

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Phony iommi, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/vinyl-is-about-to-outsell-cds-for-the-first-time-since-1986/
    I have a ton of vinyl and personally prefer it over digital. I’m no audiophile snob, I just like what I like.
    My guess is the convenience of digital downloads have send cd’s to the back burner. This to me is interesting news in the audio world. Not sure if anyone else here cares about this. I’m old enough to remember when cds hit the scene. Cassettes and records were left in the dust, with the exception of the audiophiles and nostalgics who kept the flame burning long enough to see the reemergence.

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Optical devices were dead years ago...

3. Dblgun

Dblgun Member

Count me in on the vinyl..

jmp45 likes this.
  4. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

Dam, There go my eyes.

I miss the album covers. The best record I ever heard was Iron maiden Number of the beast. It was twice as thick as any record I ever had and just sounded so good. I remember laying on the floor with dads stereo speakers either side of me like ear phones focusing on the guitar sounds.

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was young but I can still remember my parents 8 Tracks!!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Member

I have plastic bags full of cassettes, when I was child, when a friend bought a original cassette all the crew recorded It and makes cover photocopys.

Albums bands that I listened milions of times, Kill 'em all, the number of the best, somewhere in time, reign in Blood, ...
    By the 90's Indecent and obsene album from Dismember blow my mind. The Song dreaming in red was his BEST ballad, I love It.

:headbanger::headbanger:

Mitchell Pearrow and Neil Skene like this.
  7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I never gave vinyl up,. Imo nothing sounds like vinyl, and I like the fact that you have to put the needle in the groove..makes it a more interactive and personal thing.

I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 l.p.s, some reissues but most original pressings, and with prices of records going up my stash is kinda like a mini retirement fund...lol. I bought alot of them for little or nothing when people were just throwing them away pretty much.

Try vinyl with a tube system and some good speakers with horn tweeters, you'll hear things you never knew where there.

I still have cds, but just for times when I want to crank the Carver system I have. (thats one drawback with vinyl..feedback through the sylus at high volume) and I have a 64 gig ipod for in the cars with all my favorite albums loaded on it just for convenience, but that format imo is not very good quality wise, and are worse than cds in that regard..But for me Vinyl is, was, and always will be top dog for serious listening.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM
  8. Gunner64

This morning it's 15684736012018697559096402335293.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow and Phony iommi like this.
  9. Gunner64

10. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

My most awesome upload_2019-9-15_7-30-15.jpeg

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I have purchased that album in 4 different formats 8 track, cassette, CD, vinyl was the first, and many more over the years, when we moved to our current home in 2001, I gave away all my vinyl, and cassettes!
    Cheers Mitch

Gunner64 likes this.
  12. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

What kind of players do you guys have? I've been into vinyl for a couple years, and I'm getting a lot of my favorite albums. My girlfriend bought me one of those all in one deals that looks like a vintage player.

[​IMG]

It sounds ok, but I've heard that players such as this isn't the best because the arm has too much weight on them.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Wouldn’t it be great to see vinyl come back? The only negative side to them is the lack of convenience.

14. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

I stream my music now, but if I really like something I track it down on vinyl.

I won’t sell my cd’s, but they never get played.

15. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

I got a Rega RP1 'table, with the upgrade Performance Pack and Rega preamp, lightly used, for a good price locally. Seller had gone higher-end, this rig sounds great thru a 20y.o. Technics power amp and speakers. No need for me to delve further yet :yesway:

JimiRules likes this.
  16. lespaul339

lespaul339 Active Member

The only formats I buy anymore are vinyl or digital downloads.

17. Gunner64

I would upgrade from that one...hard on the vinyl. I have several turntables but 3 I like and seem to switch in and out are a Pro ject Debut carbon dc, A Pro ject Elemental, and a older Rega Planar 2..

JimiRules likes this.
  18. JimiRules

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look into those. Any tips on receivers and speakers?

19. Gunner64

If I was just getting into vinyl I think i'd get a phono preamp, one with a volume control, and a pair of powered monitors. In fact I have a set up like this in the bedroom, although my monitors are not up to snuff, and I was going to replace them with some 8 inch Rockville powered monitors..here's the preamp I have, works great, sounds very good, and has a headphone out as well. ph01-shelf2_1024x1024.jpg

JimiRules likes this.
  20. JimiRules

I finally got some time to look up some preamps. I noticed this tube preamp. It's only $31, so I'm a bit skeptical. [​IMG]
    On these cheaper preamps do the tubes do anything, or are they just there for show?