Vintage Celestions Disappearing?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by tonefinder, Jul 13, 2018.

1. tonefinder

tonefinder New Member

About 3 years ago I wanted to try some different pairings with the creambacks in my '74 4x12. So I jumped on ebay and craigslist and found multiple sellers offering vintage greens, blacks, creams an everything in between. I chose a green and black from 2 of the myriad sellers. I paid $200-$250, and have been very happy with them.

Cut to now, and here's a single guy selling a blackback quad on ebay. He's also got them up on reverb for $50 less. Also on reverb is a pristine '70 greenback pair for $1500. Maybe there's 1 or 2 more blackbacks up as well on reverb, but then that's IT.

Am I missing something, or have we reached the point where, 45 years on, a '73 greenback like I easily found 3 years ago is finally getting out of reach?

2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

People are starting to hang on to them , but there's always the heritage series that are as near as damn it to the originals . Much cheaper aswell .

3. tonefinder

tonefinder New Member

Wow- thanks for the tip! I thought the consensus was nothing compares to the originals, but maybe that's selective hearing on my part!

4. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

They don't last forever. As time goes by it is inevitable there will be less and less of them.

This might sound a bit silly, but the amount of speakers getting "killed" by online selling must be quite high. Poorly packed by the seller or badly handled by the courier (whoever you want to blame). A few years ago when I was buying a lot of speakers on ebay, it was almost inevitable that they would turn up damaged unless I told the seller exactly how to pack them in advance.

5. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

A bit OT but how long do speaker cones last with continued pounding?

Russ

6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

If you have vintage speakers it's probably not the best idea to blast them every day , save them for recording etc . There are lots of cheaper copies / alternatives out there that are plenty good enough to abuse on a regular basis . If you had a pristine e-type jag you wouldn't use it as your daily run around would you .

7. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Exactly. We are talking about paper vibrating at all kinds of frequencies millions of times over their lifespan. If I'm afraid to push something with normal use I sell it.

Russ

8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Active Member

With my Fender amps, I am still finding lots of low wattage alnicos in old organs that sound KILLER with tweed and BF circuits...Browns too. They are delicate, though paper and glue age and get weak. Old speakers must be handled with care....no pressing on the cone! Sorry for going OT...

9. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

No idea sorry, maybe ask the scientists at Celestion. However I do not believe that "continued pounding" is the main reason most vintage speakers bite the dust.

They do deteriorate over time, but human error (people being idiots) is a big part of it too.

eg - people neglect them and store them in damp garages - then the glue becomes toast in no time. In severe cases they can get insects and rodents eating them and living in them. Neglected speakers are quite common so be careful of it when buying speakers online. A lot of people have the cheek to ask top dollar for them as if they were mint, after neglecting them for decades.

Torn cones happen because people put screwdrivers through the cone or speaker bolts or soldering irons. Just clumsiness. They can also tear when people try and pull stuck speakers out of the cab with brute force.

People mess about with them, do bad amateur repairs and mods - paint the cones etc, dont ask me why, but it can ruin the speaker for good.

Then there is the problem I mentioned previously of them getting trashed in the post.

Geeze likes this.
  10. eastsidecincy

eastsidecincy Member

I had some original GB's....they didn't last long before getting blown unfortunalely...:jam:

11. ampeq

ampeq Active Member

Everyone forgets about Eminence speakers, they are just as good as Celestion and less money. You just need to find the ones they make that match the ones you like. They made my favorite speaker years ago and they are very hard to find. They were made for Carvin and were called the British Series, and they are still the best guitar speakers I'v ever heard. I have a grand total of one, still working just fine, in an X-amp 100w combo. Of course nobody there even remembers what they were like so you can't get anything close to them.

Has anyone ever tried to send old speakers back to Cel. / Emin. to see if they can rebuild them? It may be worth a phone call......