Vintage 30 or Creamback?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Kolanti, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

Hi all,

So I wanna replace the stick speakers on my 1936 lead cab I have (it has g12t75).

What I’m looking for tone wise:
    1) more definition
    2) creamier saturation
    3) not harsh high frequencies
    4) the bottom end to be more tight and not loose and flabby.

I play with a mini jubilee and a 6100 anniversary. The styles I play is classic heavy metal and southern style rock

2. RobS

RobS Active Member

creamback m65, trust me

6550 likes this.
  3. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

G12-65 Heritage

4. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

5. RobS

RobS Active Member

G12M65 i should have specified

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Everything you describe I would think should be already gotten with your stock speakers? Not to your ears I suppose, have you spent more time tweaking your EQ? Any way, I'm not a fan of V30 but it doesnt mean you wont be, I do like creambacks and greenbacks and get good tone for the music you play. I dont know that I can recommend anything in particular other than you listen to alot of videos and see what sounds good to you and if possible try the speakers. Are your 75's broken in? If not you gotta put alot of loud hours on them to get them to sound their best. Good luck with your search for tonal bliss. :yesway:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    RobS likes this.
  7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Creamback G12M-65 hands down. I have them in my 2x12 and love them. IMO, its exactly what you are looking for based on you description!

Sustainium likes this.
  8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

In a 2-12" config the best all around sound I have got is with a blend of the V30 and a G12H-75 Creamback. (Not the 65w) I have all of these speakers and more, right now I'm going through them 1 at a time to see what works with what. Then I'll pair them up for 2-12" cab's. The 3 main 2-12" cabs I have are: 2-12" with Greenbacks, 2-12" with 1 each of the Creambacks 65w & 75w, and a 2-12" with a V30 and a 75w CB. So far that is the way to go, especially for hearing every note and much better high's. When I first did it I didn't like it very much, but once it broke in they were great. This is why it's so hard to test a speaker, if you just throw one in new it might sound shitty, but once broke in it could be great. I bought 1 of each I think I like and, now that they have some time on them, (not really enough yet) I'm starting to find out what works best for 1-12" open back for combo's, 1-12" closed back, and 2-12" closed back. Time will tell.

Sustainium and BanditPanda like this.
  9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Your mini Jubilee will like the V30 more than it will the CB by my experience. The 6100 may not.

A mix might be good? I just put a G12M20 and V30 mix in my 4x12 and my Jubilee amps like it better than all Greenback voiced speakers, which the CBs are.

V30s give tight bottom if that's a concern.

If you do get a V30 or two get it from Mesa Boogie if you can. Their version is warmer ...after break in.

BanditPanda likes this.
  10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

You might want to consider the BM75-LD 65w. It's basically a nicer version of the G12-65. Here's a couple of different clips showing it's available tones.

Hard rock:

Cleaner tones:

Michael Roe and BanditPanda like this.
  11. MarshallDog

"Nicer" is subjective...:shock:

12. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm not such a big fan of the V30. I love both the Greenback and the G12H65 Creamback and will probably load my 4x12s with two of each per cabinet.

I'd never put down the Scumbacks but after comparing them, I still prefer my speakers green or cream. Gotta go with what YOU like, though.

MarshallDog likes this.
  13. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

My 1960 A&B cabs have the G12T-75’s those speakers kick ass actually. They have a scooped kinda tone if you checkout YouTube comparisons. Anyway it’s funny reading this cause I literally just got off the phone and ordered a G12M 65 Creamback for my DSL40CR. I been reading and watching vids for weeks and was torn between the V30 and the Creamback.... and then which Creamback to choose, the M65 or H75. The M65 seemed way more common and got more reviews and better reviews, plus the 75 weighs wayyy more if that matters at all. The V30 I think is well mixed in a 2x12 or 4x12 with different speakers but I don’t think by itself in a combo. I read more people saying it’s not for them and not liking the mid spike over and over. Mine was a last minute decision to go with the Creamback over the V30 so hopefully I like it. Speakers are super hard to choose and so many opinions, just gotta bite the bullet and buy one and try it.

Kolanti and MarshallDog like this.
  14. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

15. MarshallDog

You will love the Creamback G12M-65 in the DSL 40C. Its what I used to use. The 75 is yes heavier and much louder a touch brighter also. It sounds good (my second favorite speaker) but the issue I have with it is that you can't crank the amp as much becasue the speaker so so much louder.

16. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member

Mix a V30 and a Creamback 65. Done.

Still trying to figure out why you can not get real close with the speakers you have according to what your looking for.

17. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I did a little comparison between a V30 and a Creamback. You can def hear the difference (especially on crunched parts):

MarshallDog likes this.
  18. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

Curious ... which exact Scumbacks have you tried? Blue or black frame?

19. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Well it’ll take 3 weeks before I get it the store said, there was none nearby. I hope I like it. I just played the 40CR right now cranked playing heavy metal and rock. It sounds great but it’s kinda a double edge sword when it comes to the stock V type. I find it sounds best with the presence at 3 o clock and resonance at noon and treble at 3 o clock and mid and bass at about 1 o clock but it bites your head off like that but at the same time sounds the best. If you turn the presence and treble down it doesn’t have that sizzle bite to it and sounds kinda loose and Flubby and dead. Does that make any sense? lol..... for metal I find it’s got a sharp bite, almost too much, that’s why I chose the creamback over the middy V30. I think the creamback will make the most difference.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  20. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

too much bottom end where it becomes flabby and muddy and the high frequencies make my ears hurt.

@Lukas i read that the dsl40 with a creamback is a match from heaven cause it takes out all the harsh and brittle sound of the dsl

tce63 and MarshallDog like this.
  21. MarshallDog

@Lukas i read that the dsl40 with a creamback is a match from heaven cause it takes out all the harsh and brittle sound of the dsl[/QUOTE]

It sure did in the one I once owned!

tce63 likes this.