Value Of A '70 White 4x12?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Medallion333, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

Hey everyone, I recently came into a May 1970 white 4x12 slant cabinet, all original in very good condition. The G12H30s all have matching date and 014 cone codes. The build quality is a step up from other Marshalls I own and have owned from this period. I'm more of a player than a collector, and have considered selling the cabinet to fund other projects. As you all know, custom colors from this period are pretty scarce in any condition. With no comps or even information available on the Internet, it's hard to find a baseline price to start at. So, I'm just looking for an idea of rarity and value, please advise. I'm in the US. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  2. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Thats all we get to see?

:(

3. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

If its as clean as it looks, and definitely 100% original, then you can probably name your price. Definitely upload more photos...

4. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

Sorry, yeah I don't want to put pics out there until I do the sale. It is stunning, even the handles are like newish. The bottom is kinda ripped up. I read the '70 castors were the big wheel ones that got ditched pretty early, and the bottoms on these tend to suffer more wear. Other than that, it's in very good condition. Certainly, in collectable condition. It also has the pin holes for the "100" logo (it was missing). I bought a repro, but the pin layout is different only one (top) pin is holding it in. It looks cool though!

5. BygoneTones

Do you want to PM me the photos? I won't try to lowball you or try to buy it, just interested. Hard to give a proper valuation without seeing it in full.

It is definitely very rare if it's as clean as it looks. A mint 100% original one would be very valuable in my opinion.

Has it got its original cover? The grill hardly seems to have aged at all.

6. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

Here are a couple more pics. Note the clean cut craftsmanship of the tolex. Also, the birch on the inside shows flame in the grain, it's really cool! No magnet covers, which is common for this period, they never had them. It's like a work of art.

Attached Files:

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  7. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

It does have the original cover as well.

8. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

A few more pics, one showing the flame birch sides, and speaker identification.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Dogs of Doom likes this.
  9. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Real world price with original casters, for a black one in near mint shape, about $3750-4500.
    I have sold them for that.
    How much the white will add is up to the buyer. I would say $1000 or so.
    The magnet covers are all but impossible to find.
    Curious how such a clean cab lost it's magnet covers, though, unless the speakers are from
    another cab.
    Beautiful condition, and the white in that shape is RARE.

Medallion333 and mAx___ like this.
  10. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll blacklight the speakers, pretty sure they never had covers.

11. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

If the cabinet has a repro logo, that does drop the desireability to someone willing
    to fork over big bucks.
    Casters in nice shape for those are well in the $500 range (or more), so there is that value to give or take.

Just throwing it out there, not picking it apart :)

I would guess that the magnets had covers, as you can see the signs of glue
    marks.
    The prices I was stating were for near mint cabs, including the bottom tolex, near mint casters, all magnet covers, and original logos. It all matters in that price range :)

On closer look, the grill DOES look original. The white is slightly grey from age, and looks nice :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

The magnets have no signs of glue whatsoever, but I'll blacklight to be sure. I've owned many of these transition era cabs, and have seen... covers w/no stickers, no covers, missing some covers with obvious glue etc.. It would be very odd to have had covers that were removed so clean as to not leave any sign? It doesn't make sense, but all good speculative commentary. As mentioned the logo is repro, the grill is 100% original, has some very slight staining, but I'll blacklight that as well.

13. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

I don't have the Marshall book anymore. Can anyone show the pages with the cover amp? Do they even show the speakers in that cab?

14. BygoneTones

Depends what glue they used. Some glue goes hard and brittle and you have to scrape it off, but there is another type that goes like rubber, and it will peel off in one piece and would leave the magnet looking clean. You can reheat that stuff to restick the magnet cover back on.

Those speakers likely had green plastic covers but no labels. That was standard for the T1281 model speaker at that time.

Great cab regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about the magnet covers. So long as the speakers work properly and sound good is all most people will care about.

soundboy57 likes this.
  15. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

^Thanks, yeah I have an April '70 straight with G12H30s, magnet covers no stickers. I guess they could have been on there. It's clean removal if so.

16. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

Covers were sometimes removed if they were loose and rattled a bit. I love the white. Very nice!

Medallion333 likes this.
  17. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

Very nice cab! Here is a sister cabinet I have... mine have a few scuff marks on the bottom.

71-white_cab_reverb_unit.JPG

plexi

18. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

^ That's awesome, nice to see another one. What's inside? Original speakers?

19. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

Greenbacks I donĀ“t remember more specific it was years ago since I opened it up. Must have bought it around 1998 or something. I think I paid about 400 dollars for it back then... :)

plexi

mAx___ likes this.
  20. Medallion333

Medallion333 New Member

cool, great deal, thanks for sharing!