Valuation, out of interest

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Steve Smith, Dec 3, 2019.

1. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

I'm no Marshall expert but if that amp is legit it's worth a lot more than 1500 pounds.

Steve Smith likes this.
  2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

That is really cool...

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm assuming its a 2203 with a plexi head shell.

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The first iteration of the 2203 came in 75 just as the amp you see above. Vertical inputs stock pcb but old style head cab with elephant vinyl no corners (think they appeared late 76 with the thicker side panels and white piping.

Trapland likes this.
  5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's a transitional 2203. Everything looks correct for an early production master volume model before they changed the head shell and changed the chassis.
    1975, almost certainly.

6. boola1

boola1 Active Member

You can check similar sold amps on ebay or reverb. Yes, the small logo 2203s are less common but I don't think they really command a premium over a later 70s amp.

£750 - £1200 depending on how lucky you get.

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Great amp you can never replace . Keep it original and in working order.

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

You haven't posted photos with the back off it but it looks like the filter capacitors (blue cylinders) are original.

You DON'T want to keep those in there much longer. They're overdue to be replaced. They go bad with age. It's unavoidable. If one should fail completely, it can do much worse damage. Like destroy a power transformer.

But if you aren't using the amp much, you might wait a few months to get it recapped. Original spec brand new Daly capacitors could be coming to the market soon. (That's the original brand.) The owner of the Daly capacitor brand is evaluating the idea of reissuing the original Dalys. That'd be perfect. New production, original brand, specifications, and appearance.

Steve Smith likes this.
  9. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Wow thats a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I guess I'm used to 3-4k marshall heads.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Active Member

It is completely legit my friend. Busted to fuck from 20 years on the road. But completely lovingly restored by Martin, a local lad from my place Newcastle about 10 years ago who trained at Milton Keynes in the 90's and a certified Marshall tech. He has his own business now building bespoke handmade handwired amps to the buyers spec in the 60's Marshall tradition. Everything Mart sourced was as close as possible to original parts. All of the fascia is completely original apart from the plastic knobs, he even took the POTs apart and restored them.
    Thanks for the compliment but a 76 JMP transition model is not such a desirable amp sadly, a bit of a Frankenstein cobbled together from the Marshall parts bin. £1500 is about its value, but it it is priceless to me :):):)

KR's ;););)

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Active Member

I think Marti replaced the capacitors for the resto, it was running stupid hot with the bias voltage all wrong. I could have cooked burgers on it and sold them as a sideline at gigs, LOL.

But the transformer or valves never blew in 20 years, just shows how robust they made things back in the day :):):):)