V30 and G12-65 question

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by MK333, Jul 11, 2019.

1. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

My days of using the 2210/2205 heads have been over for about 6 years as where I play self modded, Cameron & Friedman 1987/1959/2203/2204 amps now all with 4 stages of analog tube gain.

If you are losing lows this is indicative of power tube wear out.

But to answer your ohms question I always put a speaker cable in the cab out and measure the ohms on the jack tip and sleeve.

For wiring a head to a cab think of it this way.

Always use a speaker cable as they are manufactured differently from instrument cables.

Think of the cab as a rain barrel. The head as a gutter pipe and signal as the water.

It is best to match 16 on 16. But a 8 ohm head load (8” pipe) into a 16 ohm cab (16” barrel will catch all of the water (signal).

Do Not use a 16 ohm head load into a 8 ohm cab. That is like a 16” pipe over a 8” barrel. It will overflow. Energy dissipates as HEAT and at any level you may destroy the amps Transformer(s) and or many other components.

I use English Celestion Vintage 30’s which are 70 watts each for a total of 280 watt rating. To my ears they have thick mids with nice tight lows without fatiguing highs. Just my $.02

These can be heard in my signature below.

Questions?

David

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    MK333 likes this.
  2. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

Interesting. I never heard spiky upper mids out of my English/UK Vintage 30 412 Marshall 1960AV/BV cabs. In fact before learning my way around a circuit I hate to think of the number of great amps I dumped due to the fatiguing 75’s.

Likely best to Retube then take your amp out to music stores and try different cabs with different speakers. Keep in mind the Vintage 30 came in 3 different makes for Marshall Proprietary (developed in 1986 to thicken it up for metal and gain), Mesa Proprietary (Covered blanket sound until adjusted then spiky highs IMO once dialed in) and Celestions own which is used in all other makes like Orange, Bogner, Carvin etc... The Steve Vai V30 cab sounds great and are inexpensive.

In addition many celestions are now manufactured in China. Yes I hear s difference I believe may be the wood pulp for the cones.

To each their own. Have fun.

David

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    MK333 and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I should have been a bit more clearer on that. I was not referring to an AV or BV with the G12 Vintage cab but a stock 1960 with Celestion V30s. The Marshall branded G12 Vintage do sound much better IMHO.

MK333 likes this.
  4. MK333

MK333 Active Member

Thanks a bunch guys, tonnes of knowledge and experience here and as a sorta newbie to the speaker and amp world I am learning alot. Like I said in another post about 100 watt amps I played through a stock 1960a cab and wasnt finding that low end. I have replaced the caps on my amp, which were close to retirement and I am going to try a stock 2012 1960a cab tomorrow.

pedecamp likes this.