V30’s - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by KraftyBob, Sep 18, 2018.

1. eastsidecincy

eastsidecincy Active Member

I am not a fan of V30's either....too much mid range for me...I am sure somebody will take those off your hands...may be good for a metal amp...

2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Im curious about pairing my greenie with the G12T75.

3. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

4. Blues'n'Booze

Blues'n'Booze Member

A spanner-in-The-works, after all your costings and time, Eminence HempDogs. If you’re strong enough !
    I’ve never cared for Celestion other than their AlNiCo since standing in front of twin stacks back in the 60’s-70’s
    They have punch and warmth

5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I've come back around to liking Vintage 30s. A few days ago I tried a 87 G12T75 in a 1x12 cab. Took it back out right away. Put in a V30 and all things the same except for the speaker, the tone was much richer with more detailed mids. The 75 sounded so one dimensional, while the V30 was 3D.

I do understand where people who just don't get along with V30s are coming from. I have been there too. Maybe its that all my v30s are at least 20 years old now. Some are 30 years old now. There is no question about them being broke in at this point. They need to age.

6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I’ve settled on with the G12M-65 Creamback in my DSL and G12T-75 in a 1x12 closed back cab. The Creamback fills in the mids that the T75 lacks (but not over the top like the V30’s), and the T75 gives me that nice low end punch.

I still have the V30’s sitting around and will probably just put them online cheap - noting that they need to be recoded.

Thanks for all your replies.