Using MG250DFX as a 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by phawk54, Sep 9, 2019.

1. phawk54

phawk54 New Member

I have an old MG250DFX combo from when I was a kid that I'd like to use as a cabinet (bypassing the head) with a JCM2000 TSL60. Looks like the MG has two 8 ohm speakers that are in stereo, does that mean I could use the TSL60 with a mono output with the impedance switch set to 8ohms, basically just using it as a 1x12 with the other speaker left unused? If I connect both speakers to the TSL60 and use it in stereo, should I keep the switch to 8 or flip it to 16ohms?

2. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I have an older line 6 AX212 and it has 2 8ohm Eminence legand 128 speakers. I wire them i series which = 16ohms and i use em that way.

Hook speaker 1 + to the amp, - from speaker 1 to the + to speaker 2 then the - from speaker 2 to the amp that is a series speaker connection and will run both drivers together the amp will get a 16 ohm load.

Set the TSL60 to 16 ohms

3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

As BowerR64 said I would rewire the speakers in series and go 16 ohms mono. I don’t know how you would use the cabinet in stereo since the TSL is a mono amp? Here’s how to wire it - and do yourself a favor and solder the connections - no spade terminals.

C5DBAF9F-8194-4DED-ACCA-BAAC13B0FEBC.jpeg

If you want to go 1x12 there’s no reason to leave a second speaker in there as the only thing it’s doing is adding more weight. I converted this exact amp to a 1x12 speaker cab.

I was looking for a 1x12 cab to go with my DSL40C and found an MG250DFX online that some guy pulled the head and was using it as a 2x12 cab. Since I wanted a 1x12 I made a new baffle, added piping to match my amp, cleaned it up and it’s working out great. Here’s the thread if your interested.

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/1x12-cab-rebuild-project.103392/#post-1745746

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. phawk54

phawk54 New Member

Thanks guys, that looks easy enough. Pretty cool project there KraftyBob, looks like that worked out pretty well.

So, in the original 250dfx wiring, are the two 50w speakers connected at all? This may be a dumb question, but if I connected one of the speakers to the tsl60 (set to 8ohms) with changes to the 250dfx at all, would it basically work as a 1x12 with the other speaker just not doing anything with no risk of damaging the 60? Eventually I'd like to overhaul this 250 as a cab the way you did, but it's be a quick fix for me to practice until I get the time to do some surgery on the 250

5. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

The head was already out when I bought mine so I don't know for sure how it was wired, however, as it's a stereo amp the speakers have to be independent from each other so there should be two sets of wires. If I remember correctly I think there are two speaker outs on the back of the amp head - one for each speaker. I have a Vox stereo amp and it also has two sets of wires.

Yes, you can connect one of the speakers to your TSL60 (I'm assuming you have the head?), however, you have a 60w amp and a 50w speaker so you're at risk of blowing the speaker. The speaker(s) at the very least should be 1.5x's the wattage of your amp - 2x's is even better. You're at .83 You may want to reconsider holding off on re-wiring it due to the power difference. It really is easy to do.