Using A Tuner In Your Effects Loop?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by nedcronin, Jun 10, 2010.

1. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

Hey everybody, I need to incorporate a tuner into my rig that I can use while jamming.....do any of you guys run a tuner in your effects loop? If so what kind do you use and does it color the sound at all having it in the loop?
    Recommendations Please.........

2. LesPaulopolis

LesPaulopolis New Member

I do. I have the Boss TU-2 and it has a 'bypass' out so you're tuner can always be on, but won't cut your signal. I'd say the tone loss via the 'bypass' out is significantly less than the regular out, though there still will be nuanced tone loss.

3. MM54

MM54 New Member

I use a cheap Korg tuner, when I go to tune I plug it into the line out. If I were in a band scenario, I'd have to get something else though.

4. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

Yeah I have a cheap tuner but it isn't accurate and you can't calibrate it, and I can't ask everyone else to be quiet while I tune, so time for a better product more for a gig situation.......
    The tuner I use at home from Guitar toolkit for iphone is actually pretty good but you can't plug into it...

5. plankbadger

plankbadger New Member

I put mine not in the FX loop but before going into the amp. Lot's of good pedals will
    suck tone in the FX loop even if they don't going just before the amp.

6. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Why do you want the tuner in the loop? I can almost guarantee it'll work better in front of the amp. You're better off sending the tuner a pure undistorted signal straight from the guitar.

mirrorman likes this.
  7. dugger

dugger New Member

I'm with Adwex...no need for it in the loop. Somewhere first, if not first in chain after guitar. Boss TU-2 has always worked perfectly for me. Our other guitar player uses his in the loop of his 900 and he's always saying "my tuner is acting funny?" As far as it being on while you're playing...what's the point, silent tuning is what you want.

8. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

I don't really care if it's on while I'm playing, I just want to be able to use it between songs without alot of aggravation. I just assumed the loop would be quiter and not suck tone as bad as if it were out front....

9. Michael1987xl

Michael1987xl New Member

+1. Tuner is the first thing on my board; no other pedals to screw the signal up and wreck the tuning.

10. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

+1 on the tuner in front of the amp. No reason to put it in the loop.

11. nikininja

nikininja New Member

The added harmonic content of the amps input will impair the tuners ability to measure the notes correctly.

Best way to use any tuner is on the neck pickup, with your tone control set to zero, before anything else. It helps stop all that sharp attack/flat fade out business.

After all you want the guitar intune, not all the effects and eq'ing.

12. DBI5

DBI5 New Member

I've got a TU-2 which is the industry standard of course (The TU-3 is now available).

If you can afford it - get a BOSS LS-2 Line Selector (or something similar) and run the tuner on a different loop.

I'm using the Korg DT10 more these days (I don't use a line selector with this pedal) - They do one in black too, which looks really nice.

KORG Tuners : DT10 Chromatic Digital Floor Tuner

13. dugger

dugger New Member

Pedals like the BOSS tuner are not going to affect your tone noticeably like a wah or non true bypass pedal. If you want "aggravation" free tuning. best to go directly to it first after guitar. OH yeah the other guitar player I mentioned can hear bleed through when it's in the loop. Never have understood why he does it.

14. Jesstaa

Jesstaa New Member

If you're not using a tuner pedal, I find it easy to just plug it into the compensated line out, that way it's not affecting the signal, and then I just have to switch my amp to clean to tune. Even after being run through the amp it's really accurate.

15. dugger

dugger New Member

I absolutely agree with DB15...a true bypass loop pedal is great if you're worried about tone suck from any pedal. Then it's only in signal path when your using it. I have a Radial I use for my wah and phase 90.

16. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

Thanks Team Marshall.....I appreciate the input

17. pinto79

pinto79 Active Member

I run my tuner off the "Dry" output of my Whammy pedal. Keeps it out of the signal path that way.

I'm having a kill switch made that "Kill" mode routes to a Tuner out.

18. PRSCustom24

PRSCustom24 New Member

I've got a very reliable Korg Tuner and I have it as second of four in my effect loop (I didn't find out any difference where it is in the line, so I just put where it fitted best on my pedalboard).
    I haven't put it in bypass mode, because I mainly use it for muting between the songs, not so much for tuning.
    Cheers
    Peter

19. 5er driver

5er driver New Member

I go like this: guitar > tuner > wah > front of amp. Anything else, in the loop.

20. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    I put my TU-2 in the loop. I also run it first in the effects chain. The buffer helps to push signal through the entire chain.