Used Marshall Cab - 1960AX..opinions

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by noland0, Jul 27, 2010.

1. noland0

noland0 New Member

I'm wanting to get a 1960ax cab for my jtm45, and because i live in australia we have the most ridiculous prices for any sort of guitar related product. So i wanted to get one used.

this is the one i was looking at
    Marshall 1960AX Quad Box - eBay, Standard Amps, Amplifiers, Musical Instruments. (end time 05-Aug-10 18:55:58 AEST)

He's had it for ~15 years, and it seems fine, but he claims it's 'untouched' and what not. The grill is quite clear stained and there are few other minor cosmetics chips. So what do you reckon, should i fork out~$900 for it or are you seeing alarm bells.

Oh btw, i would go for a 1960a cab (they are cheaper on ebay, naturally) but they don't have the greenback speakers and from what i hear if you want that vintage, AC/DC, Hendrix, Zeppelin sound you gotta have the Greenbacks over the G12T-75. What are your opinions on that.

Thanks

2. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

Noland0 - welcome to the Forum.

I owned a new 1960A when I had my DSL-50. I now have the 1987XL Plexi Reissue. You are correct. If you are looking for the vintage AC/DC, Hendrix, Zeppelin tone, you will not get there with the G12T-75's. They are awesome for metal, palm muting, tight low end, mid-scooped applications, but they won't give you the classic rock sound.

The cab you are looking at would sound great with JTM-45. As far as the price, I paid about $950 (with shipping) for a slightly used 1960BX awhile back. Although it wasn't cheap, it was cosmetically perfect. Now, I've been seeing 1960BX's for $600 to $700 depending on the condition.

Best wishes and hope you find the cabinet you're looking for.

3. Dave666

Dave666 Well-Known Member

The 1960X cabs are great for classic rock, but if you are going to buy a 1960 with T75's, just turn the mids way up and you'll get close...

4. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

That is not a high price for Australia, so if you want one you better get on to it, because now half the world has seen it.
    If you were to buy 4 greenbacks it would cost you $780 just for the speakers.

But if theres a damaged speaker in the cab, then its not a good deal, so ask him through Ebay if hes sure all the speakers work. Then when you pick it up take a head with you to try it before you pay him.