Used 900 SL-X 100 watt pricing help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by benmelby, May 17, 2014.

1. benmelby

benmelby New Member

Hi, it has been quite a while since I have looked into pricing on these things. I am looking at picking up a used 900 SL-X 100 watt head. It currently isn't working. With that being the case, would anyone have an idea what it would be worth? Visually, the head looks great. If anyone could help with a rough idea of what a price for this would be, that would be greatly appreciated!

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Depending on condition, new or old tubes, whether the amp has been serviced i/e filter cap replacement anywhere from $400 in old condition to $700 in serviced condition.

Now the amp doesn't work. Are they willing to get it working or want to sell it broken? Do they know what is wrong? A bad OT or PT can run you over $200 a pop so you need to know this before jumping on it. Or is it just a bad set of tubes? Or is it more than that?

Remember a new set of tubes will run you more than $150 and if you don't bias them yourself youll need to pay someone to do it if you don't know someone that can. A cap job would be a couple hundred for caps and labor.

Find out what is the issue then figure out what it will cost to repair and go from there.

BrentD likes this.
  3. benmelby

benmelby New Member

Thanks for the info Anitoli. I'm off to do some more research to gather more info on the amp. Thanks again!

4. rensklaassen

rensklaassen Active Member

Anitoli is right, if they don't know what's wrong with it, I'd say you maybe have to be patience and just wait till you can pick one up for < $500 in good condition...
    I live in holland and here's one for € 350... I've had one, which also was only €400 in MINT condition

5. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

I only paid $400 for a 6100 AND a cab in non-working order. Even at that price, I believe the risk was mine.

Anitoli gives great advice.

rensklaassen likes this.
  6. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Only a tech should buy a $500-600 amp that isn't working. Maybe if you paid $100 it would be worth a chance, if you have to have a tech fix it. Personally I'd pay $150 since I'd like the challenge of fixing it.

Ken

7. Roadburn

Roadburn New Member

Seen refurbished one, cosmetically near mint, for €600 (also in The Netherlands, @ Big One Music in Zwolle, but the shop is dead...).