update tommy chong jcm 800 2210 howling

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Exotic, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

so he says the caps need some time to form? and then i should be good how long does that take?

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

All the filter caps should be replaced including the bias caps. You may have issue down the road. It is not a bad job it works. The power supply is big part of these amps.

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The caps will form to the b voltage.

4. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Active Member

FYI: if your EQ pedal is the MXR 6 band pedal, they are noisy as heck when you move the top band(s) (3.2khz I believe, or maybe 1.8khz) above the middle position, and are noisy even if you don't. That's why I sold mine, I had 2 of the newer, black ones with the footswitch on them... Great way to get the Boston guitar sound without a Rockman device. I've never tried the blue one, but it's older, so I figure it has the same noise issue (correct me if I'm wrong though).
    Anyway, glad you got your amp back and working. :dude:

5. scott-colorado2016

Don't sweat the small stuff, no magic there, just play and enjoy!

6. scott-colorado2016

Oh, by the way, my opinion is this tech seems like a winner, I'd say he did well by you.

7. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

thanks, i think so too ,i'm thinking of taking my jcm 900 to him to check out the reverb it's being less than what i know it's supposed to be ,and to clean the pots they r a bit scratchy ,and to put white tolex on it ,still need a back cover for it .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  8. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

here's a photo of the new caps ,i can see from one of the ones in the back that they are jj brand? anyone have any experience with jj caps? are they any good ? as far as sound ,reliability? long life? etc. IMG_2058 (Mobile).JPG

9. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

makes me wonder about my jcm 900 4500 ,it still has the original caps ,only 2 for a 50 watt huh? i wonder how long before i have to change these out?
    s-l1600 (8) (Mobile).jpg IMG_2059 (Mobile).JPG

this is how it looks with the back panel from the jcm 800 .thinking of going to a hardware store to see if they can cut a piece metal panel? to size ,the real ones r kinda expensive,what do u think?