Up grade of Strat pups

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by BanditPanda, Oct 7, 2019.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Up grading from stock and going noiseless.
    Pretty well settled on Di Marzio's with a 58 in the neck and a 67 in the middle, based on what I've heard and read.
    The bridge pup is a bit of an unknown though and actually I think the bridge pup on a Strat is unusable to begin with. In fact I almost exclusively use the neck pup.
    Definitely a single coil sized humbucker for the bridge and have looked and listened to Choppers and Cruisers and what have you.
    Looking for suggestions for a drop in Strat bridge pup keeping in mind that DiMarzio's go for 80 bucks a pop. Not looking to blow a wad on a Strat bridge pup which more than likely won;t get used much unless that humbucker sounds great.
    No hard rock or metal sounds required.
    Thanks
    BP

2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I'm really liking my V-Mod pups on my Am pro strat. I even like the bridge. I just roll the tone knob down to about 7 and she sings.
    I have noiseless on my MIM deluxe but I like these V-mods much better. They have a more rolled off treble to them but yet still retain that strat tone. I'm no Strat expert so take my opinion here lightly :)

BanditPanda likes this.
  3. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

A Carvin Twin blade, if you can find one, sounds good. A Hot Rails, wired in parallel also sounds good. Both are single spaced sized humbuckers, and the Hot Rails is definitely a rock pickup, but wired in parallel, it changes that personality a bit.

4. BanditPanda

Thank you guys, In lieu of a full set swap I am driving myself mental on YT looking for a noiseless Strat neck pup which could provide a Hendrix type vibe, reverse stagger or whatever.
    Rumpelstiltskin offers their Experience neck pup but is not noiseless.
    Duncan offers their full set Jimi Hendrix Signature set but is not available as a single and is not noiseless.
    I currently have in the neck the GFS "Jimi" Reverse Stagger Alnico Pickup and am looking to upgrade and noiseless..
    Your suggestions much appreciated.
    BP

5. BanditPanda

Roy, those are the Carvin TBH60's of which you speak?
    BP

6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I installed a Hot Rails in my friends Deluxe Strat and while he really likes it, it lost a lot of the quack you get in position 2. I put a DiMarzio Tone Zone (full humbucker) in my Strat and still have the quack - which I like. I don't know if it's a single coil sized humbucker vs full size, or if that's just the nature of the Hot Rails. Just something to check into/think about.

On a side note, while I'm no expert, I'm pretty familiar with Strat wiring - either the standard 5-position switch or the Super Switch, coil splitting automatically via the switch or installing a toggle switch or push/pull pot. I spent a lot of time going through wiring schematics so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

BanditPanda likes this.
  7. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

Yes, I've use them in a couple former Strat builds. It's been a few years since I've owned them. One Strat, an '89 MIJ with a Kahler Spyder, with these pickups, I really should have kept. The best I can describe them is "a very smooth" sound, they are not harsh or bitey. They are great for various types of music; and being that they are blade type, there is no drop out when bending notes. They are four conductor types, so you can wire them up in different ways, and since they are humbuckers, they are noiseless.

BanditPanda likes this.
  8. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Kinman is what you want my man

lordquilton, wakjob and BanditPanda like this.
  9. BanditPanda

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    royslead, pedecamp and KraftyBob like this.
  10. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I've bought recently a set of Dimarzio Injectors. I was hoping for a Paul Gilbert tone, but the thing is hendrix as hell. they're stacked, so there's no hum. You could try these, they're not expensive, but hard to find in local stores. I've bought from amazon.

11. South Park

South Park Active Member

My next Strat build is getting fender Tex mex . It sounds good with mex beer . The Hendrix tone is from custom strings sets.one string is down sized.

BanditPanda likes this.
  12. BanditPanda

Have you checked out the SD Red Devil pups.? Said to have a Billy G vibe about them.
    Yes one brand I know of makes a Jimi Hendrix Inspired set Pyramid / Nickel Classics created by Strings By Mail.
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/pyram...inspired-custom-set-10-38-full-set-15204.html

BP

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Good for you for picking out some new pickups! I was gonna offer you a good deal on a bunch of Strat pickups I have but it sounds like you already got some on the way.

BanditPanda likes this.
  14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Paul, PM me about your Strat pickup rejects :)

BanditPanda likes this.
  15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I just bought a Strat copy by Schecter and the pu’s turned out to be excellent. They are Nick Johnston USA Atomic, hand wound pu’s. Very pricey, $300 a set, but I really do like them a lot. Very good single coil sound with a touch of power, much better than I thought they would be.
    I also tried Suhr’s Strat with the noise canceling pu’s, great guitars but the noise canceling pu’s do not sound like a Strat should sound. Position 2 & 4 in mine are nc but position 1-3-5 sound “real”. (Twangier) The Suhr sounded great and was very quiet, but didn’t sound like a Strat should really sound. I have not played any Strat type single coil’s with nc that sound like a Strat should sound, at least to me. If you’re going for that sort of thing. I thought I was going to have to change mine for sure and was very happy to find out I didn’t.

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I gotta dig them up and see what I have, I'll let you know. :yesway:

Maybe you've got some pickups and we can do trades.

johnfv likes this.
  17. BanditPanda

I think it depends on what you're after. Going for the Clapton sound I'm told that the Fender Vintage Noiseless are excellent.
    BP

18. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

JBE Danny Gatton Pickups.

19. BanditPanda

Sure at 400 bucks a pop !!
    My post did say "....Not looking to blow a wad...." however thank you for the suggestion.
    BP

20. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I had Area 67’s in the neck and middle of my American Special Strat for a while. I thought the 67’s captured the vintage vibe extremely well. I use Injectors now, but only because I cover a range of styles and needed something a little thicker in the mids with higher output. If I were to go vintage again I wouldn’t hesitate to put 67’s back in. I’m a big fan of the DiMarzio Area pickups. The 58 is great too, but the 67 is more “Hendrix” to my ears.

johnfv and BanditPanda like this.