Unusual White 4x12 Cabinet. Can Anyone Identify It?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Rob Granville, Apr 5, 2019.

1. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Member

Very nice!

I see you went for the earlier style logo.

I always have blackbacks for sale if you need any.

2. Rob Granville

Rob Granville New Member

Park 4x12 1978 bass cabinet complete! Here are some observations for anyone trying to do the same:
    I really enjoyed this restoration. I learned all about Celestion Greenbacks/Blackbacks and how they work, more importantly how simple they are to repair if you want to save money. Because this was a Park and not a Marshall that I decided it was worth restoring (Not replacing where possible). There are loads of Marshalls but finding a Park was lucky. If you go back to the first few posts you will note in what poor condition this was in. It arrived in the rain with no plastic cover and I discovered that 3 of the 4 Greenbacks were not going to sound too good..What did help a great deal was this forum, firstly in identifying, what the customer relations people at Marshall seemed unable to, 2ndly 'Dogs of Doom's' great archive of info which helped nail down where I needed to start. Thank you sir.

The cabinet cleaned up really well. I was happy to leave the original Tolex as it was. The speakers took the bulk of the work. I have tried my best not to recone if possible but not at the expence of the sound of course. I had to replace one missing cone on 55hz blackback. The recone quality is Celestion so I was happy to use that. We will see when I test it in the studio.

On a side note. Regarding the speakers. I tapped through the 3 x 55hz Blackbacks and 1 x 75hz Greenback cone to see if I could hear any difference. To my surprise (not sure why) the 55hz, including the recone sounded deeper. The 75hz sounded higher pitch. The cone 'seems' a bit thinner then the 55hz. Other then that they seem exactly the same in the magnet and coil size. Any comments or info would be welcome.

The grill cloth is not exactly correct but it's good enough for me until I find a source for the small checkered cloth. The Park badge was fun to do. That was easy as I have the facility to produce the graphics. It has been very slightly patina'd.
    The white handles I managed to repair the cracked corners. To take the pressure off the corners I bonded them into the cab with a removable adhesive and reenforced using screws rather then rivets which tend to break these corners when force is applied. The rear panel I had to make. Unfortunately trying to find 16mm birch ply is tricky so I routered down an 18mm board of good quality birch ply and covered it with Levant Tolex which seemed to match correctly.

The sound post - Very little written about them that I can find. I cut it down 4 times so that it pressed against the back panel enough to make a tight fit. I did not want to fit any felt or rubber at this point until I hear what Jim Marshall had in mind. My understanding of this is - The transfer of vibration from the front to rear with wood-to-wood contact will now take place in a more direct, less ambient boxy way. The back and front ply panels need to be 'muted' in the centre to control the transients after the note is stopped as well as the colouration of the note when it is the sympathetic frequency of the cabinet. Its a bit like a guitar harmonic. The build up may or may not be what you want. I'll see for myself.

The rear plastic corner pieces are coming from China, unfortunately black as I can't find the correct white ones. The speakers where wired Series/parallel for my 16 ohm 60 watt Fender Prosonic. All in phase by checking with a 9v battery to see the movement of the cones. I hope one day to find a reasonably knackered Park Head that I can restore in the future to go with this lovely cabinet.
    Thanks again all for your help!
    IMG_1606.jpg IMG_1604.jpg IMG_1607.jpg

3. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Very nice looking cab.

4. Rob Granville

Rob Granville New Member

How many do you have Soundboy57??

Well.. I can confirm that the cab is every bit as good as I hoped. I took it down to the studio this am and started quietly and slowly built up the volume until it was cranked. The speakers are all great, no artifacts or cone rubbing from the repair and recone work. I am very pleased indeed! Its smooth and bass is all there from the Blackbacks. The treble is sweet from the 75. It is hard to explain that it feels very 'acoustic'. When I adjust my playing it changes in tone quite a bit. For me that is a dream setup. There speakers are played in which adds a smoothness like a good wine. Uncompressed and surprising variation of tone. Anyone have a Prosonic...OMG what an amp..

IMG_1615(1).jpg

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.