Unknown Vintage Amp....your Help Please

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Nigel Hall, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall New Member

Hi. I have recently inherited a vintage Marshall amp. The closest I can find to it is the JMP2144 but I think this is a little different. Unfortunately I know nothing about these amps, don't play an instrument and don't come across these type of things very often.

What I would like to know is if anybody can tell me what it is, and what it might be worth. I gather they are quite rare and my late father-in-law always waxed lyrical about how amazing the amp was and how sought after it would be.

I have read a couple of posts on this forum about similar amps so I'm hopeful somebody will know about it. I will post all the pics I have.

The amp may be available for sale, not sure what the forum rules are here about that. The amp is currently located in Paphos, Cyprus.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance. Nigel.
    IMG_8698.jpg IMG_8700.jpg IMG_8699.jpg IMG_8703.jpg IMG_5590.jpg

liontato likes this.
  2. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Nigel!

That is a beauty and in great cosmetic shape, nice inheritance!

It is basically a combo version of the famous JMP 2203. I want to say a 4104 model.
    And a nice pair of G12-65 Celestion speakers, should sound unreal! Probably 1979 or 1980.

liontato likes this.
  3. liontato

liontato Active Member

That is very special for sure!

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

This will be a very cool amp...

5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I think L suffix is 1979. How can you tell it is a 100w rather than 50w? Is it because the 50w usually has blackbacks?
    Looks in decent condition and the MV amps this era usually sound pretty good and still relevant as gigging amps nowadays.

6. eastwood6

eastwood6 Active Member

50-watt JMP 2104 from 1979.

7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Ah the amp chassis screw mounting spacing that is 50w size, doh!

8. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Ah, I was thinking about the vent and that might have meant being a 100 watter...good job!

Beautiful amp, regardless.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Look inside, does it have 2 or 4 power tubes? That will tell you how many watts it is.

10. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

It's a 50w, no question, the chassis bolt placement confirms it (plus if I recall the 100 tends to come in a deeper box, with 3 handles up top and burgundy red framed speakers - and is a lot less common).

Pretty standard 50w MV combo, not rare, not valuable (these tend to sell for less than the 50w head version!) but an excellent sounding amp. Both the 25w blackback and the later 65w equipped versions are equally good.

11. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall New Member

Thank you everybody for your replies. Very useful.
    I also contacted Marshall in the UK and they confirmed "The model number is the 2104, with the serial number provided it was manufactured in 1979."

Any advice on the best website to try and sell it?

Many thanks again for all your kind input.

12. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-best website to sell a Marshall, right here!! if it doesn't move fast enough, the usual suspects aka reverb, rig talk and last resort, evil bay

13. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Wouldn't have thought you would get a lot of interest for it in Paphos mate....Shame, I was staying near Limassol in May I could have given it the once over for you. There is. A music shop on the main drag through Limassol, they may be interested in taking it off your hands. Back in the UK you could probably get £500-600 or more for it.
    From where you are now shipping will probably kill any deal unless you drop on a local (maybe in the forces there) There are lots of working musicians out in Cyprus doing the hotel circuit, I doubt many would want to lug a vintage amp around though, but you never know.
    If I was you I would Google music shops in Cyprus and then make a few phone calls.