Understanding DSL40CR speaker outs

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dave J, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Dave J

Dave J New Member

I have DSL40CR and am trying to nail down what I want to use for speakers. I actually like the V type in the combo. I tried a Gold and it didn't do it for me. I have had 2x 8 ohm V30's wired series in a cab which I believe gives me 16 ohms out. I liked it okay but again actually prefer the V type. I was going to get 2 8 ohm V types for the cab, but I might end up selling the 2x12 cab, and using the combo and getting a 2nd 16 ohm V type or maybe a E-65 WGS and running a 1x12 ext cab instead. Background info aside:

The speaker inputs on the DSL40CR are
    1 jack = 1x16 - 2 jacks = 1x8 or 2x16 and 2 jacks = 1x4 or 2x8

If I use 2 16 ohm speakers in the 1x8 / 2x16 jacks they would have to be in series, right?

I have read some stuff about 8 ohm speakers have a different sound than a 16 ohm, most say no diff as long as impedances are matched, but a couple things I have read say 8 ohms sounds more mid aggressive and 16 ohms sounds more vintage.
    So does series or parallel change the sound? If a 16 ohm speaker has a " certain " sound does two wired in parallel make it sound like the more mid aggression, or does it keep its supposedly "more vintage" sound. Does it really matter?
    I play clean to fairly heavy gain, but not metal and like the way the V Type sounds compared to the more modern V30's mid hump.
    The V30 was supposed to be a high watt version of a greenback I believe but the V type is more like a Greenback to my ears.
    Thanks for any input.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Tone change is negligible …
    2 16 ohm in Parallel is 8 ohm…
    All of 2x jack sets on the CR are Parallel …
    Wire the 2/12 cab with 2 8ohm In Series for 16ohm…
    If you run the 16ohm in Cab simultaneously with the 16ohm cab , plug into 2x16 …… Just stock 16ohm in Combo should be in 1x16

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    More knowledgeable members here will come along with answers to your questions.
    Cheers Mitch

Jon C likes this.
  4. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

I've never heard of any tone difference between 8 ohms and 16 ohms. I doubt you would be able to hear much of a difference anyway. It sounds like you really like the V Type so I would suggest just using that in the 1x12 or 2x12 cabs. Or you could try a creamback.

5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

The speaker inputs on the DSL40CR are
    1 jack = 1x16 - 2 jacks = 1x8 or 2x16 and 2 jacks = 1x4 or 2x8

Plug a single 16 ohm load into the 1x16 jack

Plug 2 -16 ohm load cabs into each of the 1x8/2x16 jacks (or) 1 cab connected to the other and a single cord to the 1x8...depending on your cab configurations

Plug a single 8ohm load into the 1x8 jack

Plug 2 -8 ohm load cabs into the 1x4/2x8 jacks (or) 1 cab connected to the other and a single cord to the 1x4...depending on your cab configurations

Plug a single 4 ohm load into 1x4 jack

Series vs parallel wiring for speakers won't by itself change or alter the tone.
    Under or over powering the speakers due to impedance mis-matching may have a difference in tone.

Being 1 impedance mis-match isn't a damaging strain to the gear (4-8 or 8-16), but being at the extreme ends or further will.

6. Dave J

Dave J New Member

Thanks for the posts ! I'll check out a Creamback for sure. One of my 1x12's is a Mesa 3/4 closed oversized that sounds pretty huge for a 1x12, and a Stage Craft Black Jack studio that is closed with the option to make it 3/4 closed. It just hit me that I never did try the Celestion Gold in either cab, just the combo. I liked it in the combo but not as much as I like the V type. Maybe in the bigger cab I'll like it more.
    Thanks for clearing up the electronic stuff !!