Uber is everything our parents told us not to do.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by mtm105, Jun 13, 2019.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

$20 is like one adult dollar.

ATM fees are you just buying your own money.

Ceiling fans seem to have universal settings, first setting you can’t feel anything, second setting is its almost there, third setting is shaking your house and going to fly off and kill you in your sleep.

So many people from your past know a version of you that doesn’t exist anymore.

Your past self is both old you, and young you.

Homo-sapiens are monkeys with anxiety.

When someone tells a “man walking into a bar” joke, you always imagine the same bar.

It’s weird that we, as a society, have just decided to wear blue pants most of the time.

I wish there was a way to be naked but also have pockets.

A dream always makes sense until you wake up.

Home is where you trust the toilet seat.

You’re waterproof, it’s your clothes that aren't.

Growing up in a poor family is like starting a game on hard mode.

[​IMG]

2. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Uber & Lyft rates are 1/2 that of other cabs in town.
    Ive used them several years no issues.
    They are an asset.

ricksconnected likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm taking my dad's car away the end of the month, I found out senior rates for the local cab is $3 anywhere you want to go in town and about $6-8 in the neighboring towns. I have no idea what Uber or Lyft charge but I cant imagine it being cheaper than this.

4. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Uber and Lyft drivers usually speak English and don't ask for directions, or get angry when you don't know how to get where you want to go. Or try and charge you double because they wasted time being lost. I avoid hiring a cab in this country, maybe it's just California but it's almost always a disaster.

My wife caught one in San Diego to take her to a work related convention and the guy was lost, tried to dump her near a freeway ramp in a dodgy looking neighbourhood. She locked the door and called the cab firm and threatened to call the police if he didn't finish his job. Uber and Lyft have been no problem whatsoever.

Mitchell Pearrow and charveldan like this.
  5. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    And with Uber & Lyft you can see reatime GPS where the car is, estimated arrival, car make, model, tag number & a pic of the driver.

With regular cabs you could wait up to an hour never knowing if or when who will show up.
    Then you get reamed on the price.

6. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

running cab companies out of ATL.

7. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

I saw a story on the news that Uber is getting some flying things:wtf:

8. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

As if... it's a frikkin scam

Uber/Lyft business model is based on a churn and burn rate fast enough to let your average driver never learn the game and subsidize the corporation and the passenger out of pocket until he goes broke, ragequits, or gets fired. They only want wide-eyed noobs lining up to invest money (vehicle equity, car loans) in the pyramid.

The abuse and intimidation and labor issues bs is also straight out of some Victorian novel.

New ones are just too scared and confused to relax and act like a taxi driver

PS also, nobody wants you and your 3 or 8 or 15 dollar ride.... EVER. Between expenses and dead miles and sh!t, they need to average 20 to 75 bucks per customer (~= $35 - 120 paid on your end, before U/L take their cuts) to make ends meet.. ditto cabbies, who gotta kick a flat ~$100 per shift to their bosses.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  9. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I guess that is why those Uber owned Zip bikes and scooters are becoming so popular. A lot of people just need basic public transport to get from A-B. They know exactly how to get there, 3-5 miles but don't want the inconvenience of parking fees etc.

Cab drivers are supposed to be providing a service not be grumpy difficult sods who act like they are doing you a favour. If they don't know the city they are driving in, they have no place being there. Lyft and Uber drivers usually put them to shame in communication skills and professionalism.

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"It’s weird that we, as a society, have just decided to wear blue pants most of the time."

You're right, it is kinda weird. I have blue pants on right now.
    I'm going to go along with you on that one.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

It's a natural response to attempts to regulate the industry to force unfavorable and unwanted business on them

If you call a roofer and tell them you want to pay 1/500th of a roofing job to replace one roof tile, he can just laugh at you and hang up... or tell you that climbing onto your roof alone costs a $150 minimum (or something)

Cabbies usually have some regulations preventing them from blatantly ignoring you if you're bad for business... THEY *ARE* DOING YOU A FAVOR, UNLESS YOU'RE TAKING THE INTERSTATE INTO THE NEXT COUNTY OVER YOU'RE ALL RISK AND NO REWARD. LIKE A $5 ROOF TILING JOB.

12. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

You're as good as your last paycheck.

Antmax and Mitchell Pearrow like this.