Tuning For Gigs

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Goochster, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

One is left in standard EADGBE and the other down a half step in EbAbDbGbBbEb for the songs that require it. G'n R - Sweet Child etc.

Don't tune 1/2 step down, that's ludicrous. Just keep the same tuning.

Drop D: takes about 15 seconds.

If you put the strings on right, you will never need a locking nut. Never needed it, never will.

2. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Trying any retuning with a Floyd is just dancing with the Devil. Pretty f'n stupid.

DannyB, parachute and crankyrayhanky like this.
  3. mtsv

mtsv Member

I would write the same thing but I saw your post :agreed: For just couple of songs, it should not be that hard to play by changing the position on the fretboard.

4. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

E to dropD should not be any problem with a standard bridge or DTuna

5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Just bring enough guitars to get the job done.....
    Basically,if you're gonna use different tunings, better to have designated guitars ...and even then the fckrs are gonna go outa tune

[​IMG]

My friend's band plays most of their standard tuned sh*t in Eb...because they can't fckn sing. But whenever I have to work with 'em ,I try to always have a designated Eb guitar

Myself, I never got into the habit ,probably because of the harmonicas

DannyB and johnfv like this.
  6. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I agree best to have dedicated guitars for specific tunings, even if it's just drop D. As for the various comments about singers and tuning down, I've sung lead in a lot of bands - you guys try singing 3 hours a night of high notes (AC/DC, Zep, Police, Yes, Journey, etc.) and maybe you'd decide that extra 1/2 step of headroom that Eb tuning provides is worthwhile. In particular, the notes I could hit comfortably in my 20s, not so easy to hit now. That said, I've never switched to Eb just for certain songs, that seems overly complicated. If we decide on Eb we stay in Eb. YMMV...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    royslead likes this.
  7. ampmadscientist

Then tune down 1/2 step for the whole show, and leave it there.

No professional musician tunes down 1/2 step in the middle of a show....it's not done that way.

8. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I said :yesway:

9. ampmadscientist

Then you said the right thing....I mean get real here.

I been playing w/ bands 40 years...and never witnessed anybody tuning down 1/2 step in the middle of a show.
    I mean, really?

10. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Nobody on a bar would give two shits if you tuned up or down during the gig. No one.

TubeStack likes this.
  11. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    That whole half step down thing just never made all that much sense to me. Really screwed me up one night. Some friends of mine's band had a guitar player that got hurt at work, so they hollered at me to come help them out. Never told me they were a 1/2 step flat in tuning...damnit. Found out real fast ....during the first song..lol...had to shift on the fly and play everything one fret down. Finally got to retune during the first break.

12. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

unless it takes 10 minutes... :ugh:

13. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Right now I’m half step down for everything, but i played with a singer for about 10 years who liked to sing most of the cover material in the same key as the recording. I tuned my guitars 1/2 step down and then put a capo on fret 1 and off to the races. When we did 1/2 step down, capo off, and when we needed dtune for something like VH unchained, i just retuned the low E to D while muted and back up the same way

Dmann likes this.
  14. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

If it does, then you should never leave the bedroom/basement!

TubeStack and Ghostman like this.
  15. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

To tune the E string down to D is very easy- I take it you use a tuner. Whats the problem?

We do Sweet Child sometimes, and a few others that are half a step down-thats why I have a Digitech Drop on my board.

16. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing Active Member

Personally I wouldnt adjust tuning during a show in that manner...only to check/retune occasionally when needed. Another guitar is the way to go I think.

Theoreticaly, yes, you can retune very quickly using a tuner. However some guitars have issues where adjusting one string that much (1/2 step or more) will throw the others out of whack so tuning down just one string still means tweaking all six. And my experience with several guitars is that you have to tweak it in multiple PASSES...tune down half step, retune six strings, retune them again, retune them again til everything stays consistent. So you can see how during a live set that would not be feasible unless someone’s covering your tuning break with banter or something.

17. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I gigged 6 guitars when doing covers, as we did everything the same key as the original.

3 ESP M's, 1 BC Rich V, 1 Les Paul, 1 Strat.

I checked tuning in between sets silently from the Axe FX midi controller display. Never really had to tune... maybe 2x in 3 years.

18. mtsv

mtsv Member

I am really missing here something.

I play in a cover band, where we sometimes change the key half or even a step (up or down) because of the singer’s range. But I never dealt with a different tuning, but instead I played in a different position on the fretboard or the transposed chord progression. Of course other tuning method like drop D or else is different and and probably treated differently but unless using a different gear or guitar (like SRV) for a purpose, I cannot justify myself changing the guitar or the tuning itself. I am really sorry if I sound too stupid :D

19. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

I've never been in a band that required multiple tunings. I suppose I wouldn't want to be in such a band. Either every song is in A440, or tuned down a half or whole step. Tuning in front of an audience is a loathsome thing.

20. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Sometimes it even happens to me . Guitars going from one environment to another, tuning turns to sh*t. I can remember a couple real doozies
    But nobody gets it . You just gotta plow through it ...make a decision, play in tune or rush it and play out of tune. On my band gigs I make the bass player talk to the audience. On the solo gigs, you're fckd. I try to do a little storytellin while tuning
    12 strings . mandolins, BANJOS ! Hot summer sun , you're fckd

Ever play a gig in a Louisiana cow pasture around 7:30pm ?
    Sonofabitch, EVERYTHING turns to sticky ,sweaty rubber.
    I don't even take my good sh*t to that gig anymore . I remember one night after a set,trying to dry off my SVT n Trem 50 with a towel that was already soaked ,nevermind the Les Paul ......

No, you don't sound stupid
    Yes , you might be missing something....
    For instance , does your cover band cover any Stones ?