Tubes & speaker upgrade for DSL40c?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by BigGuitars, Jan 14, 2020.

1. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

best wishes! If playing is out hope you find other fun things to do.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That sucks, but I have done the same , twice and yet here I am again, just not going to sell it all this time, trying to keep plugging forward.
    I hope all works out for you brother.
    Mitch

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  3. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

Well, I went through one last time and tried to dial in a good tone. I’ve been trying to convince myself it sounds good, but it’s no use. I hate to break it to you guys, but the DSL is a crap amp. It’s cheap plastic, and the sound you get out of it is cheap plastic. It’s like when you crank the radio in a cheap vehicle with cheap speakers. You can tell the audio system in the car is cheap. It sounds cheap. Same with the DSL. I don’t get it. It’s like Marshall deliberately tries to make crappy-sounding gear that is unusable. I would love to stick with Marshall, and don the classic Marshall logo, but they don’t really offer anything that actually sounds good. The DSL, again, just has this harsh, unpleasant buzzy, fizzy sound that overpowers everything. You try to play something more dynamic, like maybe trying to pinch harmonic a chord, and you just get this overpowering buzzsaw, fizzy chime out of it that is unwanted and obnoxious. Just cheap and awful sounding. I will try to upload some clips of the tone I’ve dialed in so you guys can hear what I’m working with.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  4. i3oosted

i3oosted Member

While not the highest construction quality, if you can’t get a good tone out of a dsl40, it’s either the player or malfunctioning amp.

I do agree with you though that it will fizz if not setup right and the bass can get flubby... it did this with mine. I also agree you are taking away a lot from an amp if you gotta dial the treble back to tame the ice pick. A overdrive pedal will tighten up the low end and boost the mids and uppers as you already know.

I use stock tubes and have tube rolled NOS and new stock tubes as well. A speaker will have the biggest impact and I played a few through mine along with my 2x12 cab.

Greenbacks got rid of the flub but it can still be a bit bright but with volume it will round out. V type is not a bad speaker in fact I like it a lot. I put in my Warehouse ET65 and that made the bass flub even worse. I put in my Warehouse Retro 30 and absolutely zero fizz and zero flub. No ice pick highs either and bass was tight. I’ve also heard great things about the creamback with these amps, that speaker is made to tame brightness.

So a speaker that can tame the brightness, overdrive pedal, also an EQ pedal will do wonders but honestly don’t force yourself to like something cause everyone else does, move on. Life’s too short, there are so many great amps out there.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Or maybe youre just a Fender guy. Good luck.............

tce63 likes this.
  6. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago, nirvana. Today, it's crap. Well alrighty then. Peace, love and happiness my friend.

7. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

As stated in my “selling everything” thread, I’ve had a change of heart. I’ve decided to cancel my plans of selling my possessions.

I also discovered today that my DSL only sounded bad because of the room I had it in. When I brought it into my drummer’s studio today, which has treated walls and optimized acoustics, oh buddy, was it good! It did EVH and Nuno tones for days, and wasn’t ice picky in the slightest.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Good to hear

tce63 likes this.
  9. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

:coffee:

CraigP likes this.
  10. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

So after establishing that the amp just doesn't sound any good, followed by numerous posts helping with your tone you decided that the amp is great and gig-worthy.

You then let us know that it's complete garbage and you're selling all your gear for personal reasons. All good.

However it's now been established that it's the room that you are playing in which is causing the amp to sound so bad, now the amp is fantastic again!

That's a lot to absorb. I guess all that can be established is that the amp has always sounded pretty good? This leads me to the conclusion that it's operator error.

Yamariv, Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  11. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

Hey man, I’ve got a new thread in “the tone zone” section about building a mini pedal board http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/mini-pedal-board.111550/#post-1921571. If you’re interested in giving your help/advice on a new topic instead of beating a dead horse and berating me here, then you’re more than welcome to head over there. That thread definitely needs more engagement.

Seriously, I got it, man. I no longer require being told how ridiculous I am. At least 4 people in this thread have already informed me. I got it.

tce63 likes this.