Tubes & speaker upgrade for DSL40c?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by BigGuitars, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Active Member

Is the speaker broken in?

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Try some lower output pickups . If you are looking for tone back off the gain . A 2204 with coil split pafs is what you want

3. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

Early VH, Nuno, 80s metal...

See, what are you talking about!? The treble at 9 o’clock is literally like throwing a thousand blankets over it. Forgive me, I just don’t get people. I NEVER understood most guitarists. Treble at 9 might sound fantastic in the alternate dimension every other guitarist besides me resides in, but to me it’s like you sat the speaker out back and closed the door. It takes all the tone away.

4. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

It does - but it reduces the piercing highs. Again I replaced the bright cap 470 pf wifh a lower value 100 pf cap and now am running the amp at a normal tone stack set up. Much better now.

5. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

People are trying to offer you advice here, I've read through the entire post and there are some good points being made.

I guess if you can't get a sound out of the amp that suits you after all the suggestions put forward, I would suggest the amp is not for you.

Probably best to off-load it and try something else, just sayin'.

6. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

If you wanna play hard rock or metal this amp kicks ass. Takes some tweaking and like I said time and time again an O.D pedal out front to tighten things up. Active pickups also help big time. This is a little heavier than VH or some 80’s metal but you get the idea.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  7. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

I’m not ready to give up on it yet. I believe it’s just missing one key ingredient. I’m not bashing the amp as a whole. I’m just saying that the stock sound of it without any changing or tweaking is lacking, and that I don’t see what blows people away about the stock tone. But I do hear underlying potential in this amp. I think it really is the right boost pedal away from being lethally awesome. It’s also got strong points that demolish other amps in its class. One of them being the fact that it cuts fantastically. It gets loud, and in your face. It would be heard anywhere no matter the gig. The Blackstar ht40 mkii I had was the opposite. It was dark sounding. Had no presence. It would have been lost in the mix.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

It took me a year to finally get my DSL 50 solid. Back and forth straight in or pedaled up. I couldn't afford what I really wanted. So I learned to tune an amp till I've found the good and bad.

Now I know exactly how to tune one to my liking in minutes whether it's mine or a buddies. Whatever model DSL. Sometimes Marshallz can be real finicky to set up. If I didn't get a pay off at some point I'd a kicked to the road. I don't play metal. Hard rock is aggressive as I get.

I thought my DSL 40C sounded good straight in to Lead 2(pinch of delay in loop)starting with guitar volume low and increasing as I go. Made some pick up changes along the vid...no pedals.

This is the Green clean channel with amp gain maxed boosted with a Bad Monkey.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  9. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear you are not getting what you expected from the DSL40CR.
    I can offer my settings and utilisation to compare to yours.
    Some are Boss GT-100 settings and are unlikely to be helpful (unless you own one too).

The only modifications I have made are swapping the internal speaker to a G12 Century Vintage 16 Ohm, and running a 112 cab underneath using the V-Type 16 Ohm. This means the DSL itself is approximately 20" off the floor (could be important?).
    Biased at approximately 33.
    Classic Clean: G 8, V 4.
    Ultra Gain: G 7.5, V 3.
    EQ: T 6, M 5, B 5, P 0, R 0.
    Reverbs: OFF.
    Masters: MV1 3, MV2 4.
    Connected in 4CM to BOSS GT-100 w/ MIDI control.
    GT-100: Reverbs, delays, choruses, overdrives.
    GT-100 Overdrives: Clean - Blues Driver, Crunch - Crunch, OD1 - Natural, OD2 - Natural.
    GT-100 EQ for OD1 & OD2: I have made some settings here but a screenshot is probably best (if still meaningless).

Capture.JPG

So I am not sure what else I can add.
    Any OD pedal will add some sort of tonal colour to your signal.
    Try to find a neutral OD. The Fulltone OCD is often praised as being fairly transparent.
    The OD2 channel can mush out above certain gain settings, depending on your pickups and boost options.
    I can't use the OD2 gain above 7.5, others will not even go that far.
    I always push OD2 with an overdrive to get better chug and harmonics for a metal tone that sounds amazing to me.

We are all different, and no one person is wrong in their opinion of how to get the perfect tone, and what that tone should be.
    Please don't get frustrated if others don't experience the same problems as you.
    Also there is the question of each's own unique level of Marshall induced hearing damage!

There is the possibility that your DSL40CR is faulty.
    If bought from new, take it back, if not at least go somewhere to compare to another 40CR to identify what the difference might be.
    That way a tech may be able to help fix any physical problems.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  10. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Member

Some things take time. If you feel it won't be worth it move on to another amp.

solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  11. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

You kinda opened a can of worms here, you will get opinions on just about everything now.
    From speaker upgrades to crock-pot recipes to moon-shot conspiracy theories.

The DSL is kinda voiced differently than other amps, you need to spend time adjusting it.
    It is a great amp, but any small single speaker combo will sound this way.

The pedals you mentioned are all great BOSS pedals, I have all three.
    The DS-1 is a distortion pedal, and sounds even better if you can mod it slightly.
    The SD-1 is an overdrive/boost that also can sound great with a little work.
    The ST-2 is a fuzz pedal (slightly different than a distortion pedal) that needs no mods.

Do what you want, ultimately it is your choice what to do.
    There are great, knowledgable people here are willing to help.

12. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

My 40CR sound amazing stock, tubes & speaker right out of the box. You have to take the time and try all different EQ, gain and volume settings. I learned that the presence control sounds best to me turned way down to about 9'oclock or else the sound gets to thin & ice picky, Also, I keep the resonance OFF otherwise it
    sounds too boomey and flubby. I keep my treble at around 10 oclock, mids a little shy of noon and bass about the same depending on the room I'm playing in.

I use this amp mostly for live use on the 40 watt setting and I adjust the volume accordingly.

solarburnDSL50, tce63 and EC Strat like this.
  13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Celestion Vintage 30's , to my ears the finest speaker !

Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  14. SlapHand

SlapHand Active Member Premium Member

Do you dial in your amp with the controls on your guitar wide open? If so, try turning down volume and/or tone. You might be surprised.

This will also give you more options at your fingertips mid song.

matttornado, solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  15. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

I’ve been messing with this amp for a little while now and have dialed in a pretty good rhythm tone. I stand corrected on the treble and presence issue. It does help it to bring them down to about 9 or 10. It sounded bad to my ears at first, but with fresh ears today it sounded great. It doesn’t completely eliminate the ice pickyness, but it does warm up the tone and make it sound richer and more pleasant. Overall I think the amp is good. Not great, but good. I like it more the more I mess with it. It’s probably breaking in the more I play it too, which makes it too early to tell. But it still is either lacking something, or needs something, can’t tell which. I’m thinking both actually. It’s still got this fuzzy buzzsaw sound to it that is more present when you crank it. It just kind of ruins it. I think perhaps an amp tech could go into the circuitry and remove some of the unnecessary resistors or whatnot to take that quality out of it. I think this would rescue this amp tremendously. I also think I will look into the creamback, or possibly an extension cab as recommended.

Mitchell Pearrow, SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

If you get an amp tech to poke around, be sure to have him mod C73 to a lower value cap. That’s the bright cap and it has a 470 pf cap on it which is super bright. I put a 100 pf on mine and now run my treble at 1-2 o’clock and presence at 12. Sounds great now!! And I did a Creamback and NOS tubes.

17. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Strange. That is where I set my treble (no presence!), and I haven't done any electronic mods. (see post #69)
    Is my hearing that knackered?

EC Strat and tce63 like this.
  18. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

Probably LOLOL
    Running your presence at 0 tames it I’m sure.

tce63 likes this.
  19. BigGuitars

BigGuitars Member

Well, thanks for all your guys’ help and support. With your advice I managed to dial in a good overall tone. I like the amp pretty good, and would recommend it as a good go-to gig-worthy rock amp for the average gig-ready player.

However, for reasons not related to my opinion of this amp, I’m getting ready to sell the amp, all my guitars, and all of my music gear. This is for personal reasons I won’t go into, but I’m getting out of playing entirely.

Again, thanks for all the good help with this amp.

20. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Been there, done that, but I am sure you comeback when your situation changes.

Cheers :cheers: