TUBE Facts and Info by MartyStrat54

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by MartyStrat54, May 6, 2011.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Short answer, yes.

2. TSLDanny

TSLDanny New Member

Tsl100 tube suggestions

Hi all this is my first post on this forum (new to marshalls) and I've recently bought a tsl100h, whoop whoop. When I opened it up I found the power tubes were mismatched (3 reissue Svetlana and 1 unbranded) and the preamp tubes were a mixture of Marshall ecc83 and other things (no print at all)...
    I thought it could do with a full retube and so I've scoured forums and tube sites for something that I would feel would solve my problems but I've got bogged down with all the choice and would like some solid suggestions for power and preamp if possible. I'm willing to try nos tubes as well as cp tubes. I find the amp to be lacking a bit in gain ( I know a tsl lacking in gain!?) And it feels too harsh and would like a warmer more rounded sound that would be nicer to the ears. I've got a budget of about £150 for both power and preamp tubes
    Any suggestions would be great!:applause:

Bear R. likes this.
  3. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

Hey TSLDanny..Marty's very good with these amps and knows what sounds best in them.

I have a TSL60. and this is what He recommended..and what I just purchased..

For the Power Tube section is a matched set of TAD EL34B big bottle power tubes..they kick butt..60 bucks..But for a set of 4 will cost around 120.?...For the pre amp stages, I went with the TAD 7025WA for the V1 spot..25.00..and next month im getting the Mullard RI 12ax7 for the V2 spot..23.00 and a set of JJ's ECC83's for V3 and V4 spots..25.00 for the set..but just with what I got so far, the amp sounds great..and i mean great..and this should be pretty close your price range too..maybe a little more..i dont know..but well worth it..

He would also recommend the EH 6CA7 power tubes...but I chose to go with the Tad's....Thank you Marty..

ps..I use the MXR Fullbore Metal on the Clean Channel..i just don't care for the other 2 channels..at least not with my amp anyway...but man, this amp now kicks major butt. esp. with these new tubes..

PS..Thanks Marty for your expertise and recommendations..the amp really came to life..I really Really Love it..i cant wait to get the Mullard RI and JJ's to finish it up..thanks bud...Barry..

4. LiveLoud

LiveLoud New Member

Hello everybody!

Does anybody here have any experiences with either the New Sensor made Svetlana/Tung-Sol/Mullard EL34 and 6L6 reissues? Looking to retube a friend's Egnater Renegade and my collection of NOS tubes is beginning to dwindle...

On the topic of NOS tubes. What sites are trusted sources for NOS tubes? I've found some =C= and some pre =C= Svet's for prices that seem a little bit too good to be true...

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. lordquilton

lordquilton Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with those power stage valves you listed, but the TAD EL34B-STR's are well worth a look-

http://www.marshallforum.com/showthread.php?t=59770

Off the top of my head, Brent Jesse has a good name for NOS.
    He's probably more expensive than some dealers, but word is his stuff is high quality and legit.

6. HogDad59

HogDad59 New Member

Sir,

I'm new to this forum (any for that matter) so please excuse any errant posts I may make.

My question: I just acquired a 1981 JCM800 2203 and it has JJ's 12AX7 in the pre and GE 6550A's in the power sections. Is there any creditable way of telling their age.

Thanks for your help....

Steve

7. mickeydg5

I am going to go with "not usually".

8. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Some GE power tubes have some codes on the plastic base or on the side of the tube, but it may just be the EIA number (188).

Got any pictures of any codes on the tubes?

9. HogDad59

HogDad59 New Member

Here's the only pic I have right now. No help I know. One tube has a stamp (93-15) that I've found since stands for the 15th week of 1993. The others just have the 188 EIA number.

I'm only wondering about this because I'm curious as to how "good" they may still be.

Think I may buy a tester.

Thanks for your time and input!

Steve (HogDad59)

Attached Files:

10. mickeydg5

Nice tubes; vintage 6550. Cannot see enough to even try to find a date.

Those tubes, if not abused, can last a lifetime.

11. HogDad59

HogDad59 New Member

Knowing the guy I got them from, they probably have very few hours on them. He's more of a "collector" of gear than user.
    Either way, they sound great right now. I do plan to roll some others through the pre-amp just to find what I like best....
    The cab I got is a 1982A (1977) with G12H 30w Blackbacks....diggin' them too.

12. MartyStrat54

That's a fine set of GE 6550 metal base tubes. From what I can see the tubes look to be in great shape. The getter flashing is nice and bright. If you are going to play a Marshall with 6550's you can't get much better than these. I don't know what you paid for them, but those are some pricey power tubes. The metal base GE 6550's run around $300 for a matched quad...if you can find a matched quad.

13. MartyStrat54

Oh and as far as tube life I would bet money if you tested those tubes they would still be in the 80+ percent range. I bet they still have lots of hours left on them. IIRC GE rated those as 5000 hour tubes if biased correctly.

I bought a 1979 Peavey MACE in 2010 with six Sylvania 6L6GC's that were the original tubes and they all tested 87-88. USA and European power tubes last 3 to 5 times longer than a CP power tube.

14. HogDad59

HogDad59 New Member

The tubes came with the amp, but I have seen where they are pretty expensive to replace. I simple got lucky on this one.
    Long cool story how I came about this set-up but the bottom line is I paid $400.00 for the head and cab. My job is to now make the most of it....

15. benoityip

benoityip New Member

Marty, Great article with a major myth busted !!!

This article should be sticked

That brings so much possibilities after realising power tubes play a smaller role

1. People think marshall Valvestate is a failure because no power tubes are involved. It might sound inferior but definitely not due to so much about the power tubes. I own one of them and they sound great after putting a great preamp tube.

2. Blackstar has preamp tube metal pedal. People thinks most sound coming from solid state inside. Wrong !!

3. We dont need atteunator anymore !!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  16. G the wildman

G the wildman Active Member

Hi Marty

I have new Tad finals in my DSL 40c and they are ok. But I can hear an unwanted chime when I play. I have no idea what causes this. Should I upgrade V1 to help improve this.

If I do upgrade I do not want to lose OD but would like a warmer sound.

Any ideas

G

17. EADGBE

EADGBE Active Member

I can hear a big difference with both.

18. YetiVanMarshall

YetiVanMarshall Member

Hello,
    DSL40-c . I have been using it on a small stand since new and recently the power tube directly above the speaker is vibrating annoyingly when i play any b chord or b string. I determined this by placing a cooking mitt against it gently against the bottom of the valve and it dampens the vibration. With the amp on the floor I sat on the amp and the vibration does not occur. I'm guessing the tube has become defective since I play loud a lot. I'm thinking about a tube dampner or 2 since the mitt silenced the vibration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

19. mickeydg5

It seems the vibration is caused by another source but dampers can or will help.

20. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member