Tsl100 Head For My '89 2205

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by stilllifer, Mar 11, 2017.

1. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Hi all. I am searching for a 100w head to replace my 2205 for gigging. Been offered a deal for a TSL100 head for my 2205. Never played one - read about footswitch issues, general reliability issues. Not getting a good vibe, although I like the "true" clean channel and independent controls for each channel.
    Someone school me on the TSL100 please.
    Cheers!

2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a TSL 60 head that's been maintenance free, and have been using it for rehearsal and gigs for the past 4 years without issues -- I let another guitarist use it in the band, as I use either my JVM or JCM 900. The foot switch works fine on mine, but I have heard there were issues with the plug on the combos.

stilllifer likes this.
  3. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I gigged with one for 14 years, along with a DSL.
    I was lucky....mine had only minor bias drift, which was fixed with replacement metal film resistors in the bias section.

Quite a different sound and tone from the 2205.
    The clean is incredible, IMHO. The crunch is very mid focused, and not as open/organic as a DSL.
    The lead is great.

Although mine was a 1998, first year, I had 2 others from the same period with no issues.

Doing it all over, I would stay away from older than 2003 or so, IMHO, because it is a crap shoot. Unless you can
    verify the bias doesn't run away before you buy it, and can play it thoroghly for a period of time.

The stock TSL was too compressed for me, and I did the following, which made it
    so much nicer for a classic rock cover band kinda amp:

Mercury output transformer and choke
    NOS tubes in V1, sometimes V2 as well.
    Replaced grid block resistors. Some had 220K from factory, and they should be 5.6K
    Biased at around 82 to 85, not 90 like the factory recommended.

I just used JJ power tubes, E34L, and oh yeah....I removed the 470pf bright caps
    on both the crunch and lead gain pots, so the gain could be used at 4 or 5 on the dial without
    sounding thin and bright.

With all that, the DSL still sounded more the like the taste of the older Marshalls.

But the TSL wasn't bad. I needed the channel switching.

If you like the overall sound, get it. They can sound pretty good even stock, with the right tubes.

If it says anything...I still have the DSL...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. soundboy57

The 2205 is worth substantially more, as well. Check prices on the usual sites.

stilllifer and Gunner64 like this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Correct, I would not do an even trade of your 2205 for a TSL. You'd be better off selling the 2205, buying a TSL (or DSL, JVM...), and having cash left over.

Gunner64 likes this.
  6. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Thanks Pete! Great detailed info! I will likely entertain at least checking it out.

7. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Yep def not doing a straight up trade. Would be plus cash or I would sell the 2205 outright as you mentioned. Cheers Marshalled!

8. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Pete. So would you say the TSL is conpressed in a way that a Jub is? I was also approached about a trade for a JVM410. Thoughts?

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

The TSL100 is loud. I have two TSL60 amps and I like them better.

dreyn77 and stilllifer like this.
  10. soundboy57

I can't compare the JVM410, but my buddy has a Satriani JVM, and it simply smokes the TSL in every way
    you could compare. Less compressed in every mode, nicer more vintage tone, more dynamics, etc.

11. soundboy57

Honestly, I did briefly play a TSL60, and I did like the tones a bit better, but it has been many years, so....

The TSL doesn't suck, but there are so many other Marshalls that have nicer tone.
    The reason I played it so long is the variety of music we covered.

I eventually put a 3 channel mod in the DSL100 and never looked back :)

stilllifer likes this.
  12. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Yeah the more I listen to the JVM410, the more I like it. Lots of tonal flexibility for sure. Will check it out. Thx again Pete!

Matt_Krush likes this.
  13. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

The TSL 100 was a very popular amp back in the day. It had a distinctive mid range tone, and now we all know, cleaner than clean sounds.
    I know the TSL 60 went into a further location than what the TSL 100 was.
    Guys should celebrate the differences cause in the end, that's all there is. Slight variations on a theme, which is what these companies are doing.

If you look at the new jubilee and compare the colour of the vinyl with the original, then you can know that marshall is telling you about what the new amp is offering the user.
    It's vinyl has more colour in the silver look. So this should indicate to you that the amps sound has more tone, more sound colour too!

So when you look at a TSL, you should be looking for MORE than before! Not an inferior sound to old amps, NOT for a cheaper amp than old amps!

You guys are putting your own views onto these things which isn't a view that compares products from the items of the past.
    You don't seem to be guys who are searching for upgrades.

These amps are full of upgrades!
    But if you're comparing a JVM with the TSL, you should be looking at the JVM as if its got all the upgrades from the TSL model.

To run the 100 watt marshall in its FULL sound range, then the sound is MASSIVE loud!
    It's the EQ section which is causing the big volume effect.
    All of those Marshall combos are an excellent option!

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you have a chance for a 410, it's newer and more versatile than a TSL. That said, I really like my TSL. Keep the gain below 8 on Crunch channel and it gets from slight breakup to flat out old school metal with guitar volume. I do not find mine that compressed, likely less so than the Jubilee. Certainly less than the high gain monsters out there today. It is less compressed than the DSL on Lead 2 certainly.
    You will need a noise gate with the JVM. If you like the more vintage tones of the 2205, you may find some of the JVM to be too much gain wise.

stilllifer likes this.
  15. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Thanks Jethro. I love the old school Maiden and Priest tones - those are my go-to with the 2205. I am not a gain-hound and would control the gain on the JVM channels for sure. I do have an NS-2 to gate the JVM. I could look at a DSL and mod it as Soundboy mentioned. Lots of decisions.

16. medicjg

medicjg Well-Known Member

Financially you would be losing big time. Sell the 2205 if you dont like it. Stock TSL wont make a pimple on the 800s ass!!!!

17. marshalled

marshalled Active Member

Don't do it !

Think how many TLS have you seen on stage ? How many 2205 have you seen on stage?

The answer is your decision !

stilllifer likes this.
  18. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

It wouldn't be a straight trade - cash from the other end would be required. I've officially taken a TSL off the list!

medicjg likes this.