Tsl 100 Main Board Needed, Asap

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by thunderstruck507, Jul 20, 2018.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

My TSL took a dump and needs a main board replacement, the bias drift has become severe making the amp unusable for band practice.

I bought a board on ebay but was sold an old board, I'm awaiting a refund.

I placed an order with a company in the UK who was expecting a shipment but was just informed they have been alerted by Marshall it will be the end of August due to a manufacturing issue.

Does anyone out there know of a place with boards in stock or have one they would part with? I really can't afford another amp right now.

Please email me if so: kwshipp507@gmail.com

Thank you

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

3. thunderstruck507

I've looked into those as well but they still wouldn't solve the issue of the incorrect parts in the gridblocker circuit and other places where the wrong value resistors are installed (if I'm correct?)

Their site won't even let me add that product to a cart, it returns me to the home page.

I did send an email about it. If nothing else it could get the amp working until I can obtain a board and then I could move the bias mod board to the new board as well.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

still.. replacing a whole PCB for some wrong part values seems very inefficiƫnt time and money wize

5. thunderstruck507

I'm exploring all options, but having read of inferior quality of the board material and many of the components on it in addition to some of them being wrong values entirely has made it an appealing option for $156 shipped. I am obviously not an amp tech so plugging in a new board will most certainly be more efficient than desoldering and replacing components on the old board with no guarantee it won't have other issues in the future as it continues to deteriorate. The only problem is they are out of stock everywhere.

I'm awaiting a price on the bias board above from the vendor but it looks like it will end up being about $55 plus shipping from the Netherlands to the US.

6. J5684

J5684 Member

That bias board will fix the bias drift problem. You will still have to isolate pin#5 on each of the power tubes which means dremel or small hole saw for that, however ever this is a 100% fix. I've seen 3 amps with them installed and they work great..

I had a DSL100 that I did this but I didn't use the premade board I just took the circuit off the board & isolated all pin5.. Never had another problem. Wasn't as pretty as the premade mod though.. :D

tschrama likes this.
  7. thunderstruck507

Well I'm going to try that in between now and the new board. I'll order the bias board kit, be around $64.

I'm also going to get ballsy and try to replace the resistors in the grid. I found some 5.6k 1/2w metal film resistors at Radioshack. About to research and see if those are correct.

If all else fails I might look for a used JVM and sell this amp once the new board is installed and its working properly.

8. ampmadscientist

9. ampmadscientist

"I'm also going to get ballsy and try to replace the resistors in the grid."

You don't need to.
    The grid resistors are on the Dr Tube board already.

BUT: do order the hollow point drill bit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    thunderstruck507 likes this.
  10. thunderstruck507

Awesome, that's good news

I went looking for a JVM on reverb and ended up buying a JCM800 2203KK

Once I get this one fixed I can decide which one I want to keep. I got the 800 cheap so I could likely make money on it if I don't care for it.

11. ampmadscientist

Dr Tube is a pretty smart guy, he thinks of everything.

2203KK is a really killer amp. I'l keep that one if you don't want it.

12. thunderstruck507

I keep hearing good things, I can't wait to try it.

The TSL has been a good amp but it doesn't quite get that snarl/growl I really want. (think Accept, Iced Earth, Judas Priest). I may be chasing the unicorn for that tone I hear in my head but I think a JCM800 is my best bet.