TRAYNOR Custom 100

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by MartyStrat54, Apr 26, 2009.

1. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Besides all of my Marshalls, I was able to get a smoking deal on a Custom 100. This is Traynor's approach to a TSL100. However, it has some refinements that my TSL100 does not have. A biggie is DC power for the heater filaments. This makes it a very quiet amp. It can also be switched to Class A Triode power that will handle a two ohm load! It is also capable of using a bevy of tubes. Anything from a 6L6/5881 up to an EL34/KT77.

The amp is laid out in a real easy to use format. Comes with a large footswitch to make the necessary channel changes and also effects, reverb and solo boost.

I think it's a great amp for what I paid for it, $550. Has anyone else played or owned one of these amps? If so, I'd like to hear your comments whether good or bad.

Marty

2. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I had an old Traynor bass amp from the 1970's. It looked like a toaster! No master volume. People say these sound like a plexi but I was never happy with it. Way too clean, although full out it was okay. When it was stolen I was pissed but I don't miss it. This amp is completely different from yours though!

Ken

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

How does this amp sound Marty? I was looking at another guys 50 watter and it even biases the tubes automatically. You don't even need matching power tubes for it. It will readjust as the tubes wear out so you get the most out of them before its time to change them. It is DC powered too.

Pretty slick set up.

Here is the model I looked at:

Buy Traynor Custom Valve 50BLUE YCV50BLUE 50W All Tube 1x12 Combo Amp with Celestion Speaker | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Edit: There are a number of bad reviews on the 50/20 watt models mixed in with the good ones. Just enough to make me go somewhere else if I was wanting one. I'd have to demo it for awhile before the final purchase period is up to see how they work out.

4. Doomhawk

Doomhawk New Member

haven't tried any of the newer models but i got a yba-1 and yba-1a - both are amazing amps. plenty enough gain for me. they will smoke most other amps you put them against. and you can get them on the CHEAP. picked one up for 175 bucks on craigs. it was missing a pre amp tube. popped one in - sounded amazing. never looked back. heres one of them

[​IMG]

5. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

nm

6. D.Dailey

D.Dailey New Member

The Beer Tent Capital of the World (Muskegon , Mic
    Mine come with 6CA7's in it..
    They got at one time nearly impossible to find..
    Flipped them over for decent EL-34's 20 years ago..
    Mines a 45 Watt Reverb Master, I bought new in 1971.. :eek:
    It Adds Tremelo and Intencity.. :D

[​IMG]
    I have never had to change anything other than tubes..
    All origional caps, sockets, and pots..
    I have had to clean the sockets and pots a couple of times,, usually do today whenever I do a tube change. ;)

7. MartyStrat54

Hey you guys have got some great Traynor's! I love mine (maybe even more than my TSL100...Shhh!). It just is so quiet all that tube tone comes pouring out. I also found out from viewing Major Nut's 800 Amp Build thread, that he borrows a technique from Traynor in how he wires the power valves. Pretty cool. Of course, the YCS100 is different over the older big tube Traynor's. It has some more exotic circuitry to accommodate the triode mode on the power tubes. What blows my mind is that this amp will run a 2 ohm load in triode mode. That's a lot of 4 x 12 cabs.

8. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

OMG!!! Blast from my past!! I had that amp with two 4x10 bottoms. Being into metal, it just wasn't my cup of tea but these days I wish I still had it.

Ken

9. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Never owned that particular amp, but I owned a YBA-3.

10. bro blue

bro blue New Member

Traynors are awesome amps. I have played on a bunch of them but have never had once close when I had cash. I really would like one, though.

11. MartyStrat54

If you look at what they have put out in the past, there are some killer amps to choose from. I'm sure you could find one for less than a Marshall. I'm really happy with the price I paid for my amp. The guy retubed it as well and put some nice tubes in it. I left the power tubes, but I put in all NOS preamp tubes.

12. MartyStrat54

Damn...a spammer got me. I hate this stuff.:eek2: