Trade Plexi for Kemper?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Trapland, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

It's an interesting contrast compared to Kemper's approach to things, that's for sure.

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I do think you will find that Fractal users do tend to love the product. It's a heck of a product that in my opinion really is something you have to have if you are on a Tone Quest but lack the time, money, or inclination to start collecting vast quantities of assorted amps, many of which will be quite expensive.

You can do things to the model you're playing with that if attempted on a real tube amp would result in fire, explosions, tears, or all the above.

Fractals are becoming a de facto standard for touring rigs, to some extent anyway. Eventually I could envision a day where road show production companies keep Fractals on hand for rental. The guitarist doesn't bring his own, he just brings a USB stick and loads his presets to it. If it goes down, grab another Fractal and load it from USB and you're back up and running with all your tones and settings agin, just like that.

That being said, much as I love my Fractal, I'd sell it before I sold one of my Marshalls. It's a great device but it's 100 percent replaceable.

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I had noted, in the other thread, that, w/ Kemper, this is already happening...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing—everything said there could be said about both Kemper and the Helix. IME more so seeing as the AXE III is by far the most cost prohibitive of the three. There has to be several dozen Helix units out in the wild for every AIII.

The main reason I switched was form factor. The A8 doesn’t have the capability of even the AII and has no exp pedal. Not to mention the proprietary and convoluted IR files needed on the Fractal. Plus no distributors for immediate replacement in case of an unplanned emergency. Great product, but not perfect by any means.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Not here to debate which would better for you (Fractal or Kemper), but I will offer my opinion. The Fractal models can be tweaked to your hearts content. I wanted an exact model of my 2203x, and my 4x12 cab with Helatone 60L's. I started with the Fractal JCM800 model, which was in the ballpark, and made the necessary adjustments to get the sound and feel of MY amp. I did the same with one of the 4x12 cab models to get the sound and feel of MY cab. I guess my point is, it's very possible you'd get closer to an exact match of your amp using all the available parameters in the Fractal. I don't know how much control, beyond the initial Kemper profiling, the user has over the various amp parameters (if any). Let's say you capture a profile of your amp, and it sounds similar, but doesn't "feel" anything like playing through your amp. Can parameters like damping, sag, transformer matching, speaker resonance... be tweaked, as they can with the Fractal, or are you limited to the results of the "profile"? I don't know, as I have never messed with a Kemper.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  6. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I did check out a friends Kemper this past weekend (thanks Chad). You may start with your own amp then tweak till your heart, hands and ears are content. Even things like tube bias. It’s pretty cool an rather easy, I figured out all the tweaks in minutes.

I liked it. I also like my plexi. I would probably get one then profile one of my amps. When I got it perfect I’d sell the amp. If I couldn’t get it perfect I’d return the Kemper and keep the amp.

tce63 and rick16v like this.
  7. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

I like my tube amp. I see it as a musical instrument!
    but hey sometimes I use a guitar app of some sort through my cell phone for late night noodling :)

8. tallcoolone

Can you post some clips of your tone? I'll see if I can't match it with one of my "cell phone apps" here...

tce63 likes this.
  9. Limeshack

Limeshack Member

Why not just gig the SV20H? It’s light, sounds great cranked, why bother with the keeper and the knobs?

I have the combo version and I can’t get over how great it sounds. Might need the head version too someday when I decide playing in a band is a priority again.

tce63 likes this.
  10. plexilespaul

you can probably duplicate it and I will prob enjoy listening to your duplication using your apps and state of the art computer...with a glass of wine at my hand...but....
    you will not duplicate my tone in a live scenario! and that's where I judge tone!!

11. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

98% of everyone else judges their tone at home, 1% in the studio. I don't know about the final 1%.

*Disclaimer these percentages are subject to change without prior warning and may be bollocks anyway.

Trapland and Nik Henville like this.
  12. tallcoolone

That’s the only place TO
    judge tone—are you going to show us or just tell stories lol?
    I’ll post this again since I already did earlier. I’ve played a LOT of Marshalls and this sounds like a good one to me:

tce63 likes this.
  13. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

Plexi for life! :uk: In my case, it's a Silver Jubilee. :slash:

tce63 likes this.
  14. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

On a side note how tall (or short) is your singer? I know by your forum name that you’re tall, but you look really, really tall in that still.

15. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

When the new Kemper comes out values will dump. A plexi is only going in one direction. Sorry to reduce it to finance when we're talking about art.

16. plexilespaul

sounds good! but what kind of interaction did you have with the amp/tone on stage? for me I need to feel the tone on stage to deliver not just letting the crowd hear it.

tce63 likes this.
  17. tallcoolone

Monitor, same as on a larger stage where the backline/mic'd amp is a ways away. Feedback works fine, with a little fine tuning even better and more controllable than pushed tubes.

This stuff isn't for everyone of course. Don't tell me it doesn't sound great though b/c it does. C'mon, your turn!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  18. plexilespaul

my own material recorded live with my les paul. not the best tone to show off with but I tried to find something raw and not refined in a studio.

tallcoolone likes this.
  19. tallcoolone

The life cycles of this hardware are much higher than most consumer electronics. That being said, sure it is disposable eventually. So am I; I'm 50--I'm prob not going to be playing many gigs in 25yrs anyway lol.
    6'5"...trust me--that's a long ass guitar strap lol

KraftyBob likes this.
  20. tallcoolone

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing man! Some really cool riffing in there--tbh, I think your guitar tone was a bit too compressed for my tastes. Esp with a Marshall, I'd like to hear it opened up a bit--little more KERRANG

If putting home studio stuff like that together is what you do, you should def give some of this newer modeling stuff a try...it's really made for that even more than it is for live performance.

plexilespaul likes this.