Top 10 Loudest Amps Ever

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ricksdisconnected, Dec 26, 2019.

1. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Guy that cuts my hair has a super twin, claims it's loud as well. In the 70s I set my twin on an old table for a stand or a bud beer box. So directional, you didn't want to be in front of the beam from it. It has the same coffee can SROs in it that Keaggy used in the early 70s. He gigged with two in those days, tilted back, mic'd and sometimes moving blankets over the top.

[​IMG]

2. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    what is going on inside?

long azzed extension outlet?

jmp45 likes this.
  3. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Yep, not a real long cord. Did that in the 70s to power other gear running power to a couple pedals. Early 90s I had some rack gear on top jacked in. The amp has been modded and de-modded to some degree. Twin power cord needs replaced, I think it's been like that since the 70s. Still sounds great. I think I have winged cs in it now. Marshalls get the most play.

Ruster1 and CoyotesGator like this.
  4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You had to bring up bedroom amps?

5. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I have a 1969 Twin. It's loud as shit. But the loudest amp I ever heard was the HiWatt that Tony Iommi played with Black Sabbath on the tour of the first big album. I was around 19 or so then, about 10-person deep from the stage, and remember it being louder than I thought was possible.

jmp45 likes this.
  6. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

I have a Diezel Herbert and a Mesa Boogie iic+ Coliseum both running six 6L6's. Both insanely loud but sound surprisingly good at low volumes.

7. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

the early 70's traynor ygl-3 is the loudest motherf@#$%# I had to play...it kills my 1959 easy....mine has 2x12 eminence man o war in it...and the tone is deep,3-d sounding ..love these amp

colchar likes this.
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Yes, SRO rules the day.

jmp45 likes this.
  9. Doug Taylor

Doug Taylor New Member

Speaking of LOUD, BIG, HUGE, HEAVY AMPS long forgotten...
    Maybe many of you folks have not been around long enough to remember these. But in 1968-69 there was a solid state amp introduced to the music industry to compete with the new solid state wave of amps known as "KUSTOM" or "KUSTOM by ROSS" (build in his garage originally).
    However, the amplifier I am talking about was actually named... "The KILOWATT", yes 1000 watts RMS of solid state power, huge speaker cabinet and very heavy head back in ancient 1968-69. I think Three Dog Night's bassist used one.
    And don't forget those solid state original "ACOUSTIC" solid state amps that were being introduced in 1969-70, I believe The WHO used those way back when.
    But then my unforgettable, unforgivable, relentless original 1972 AMPEG SVT bass amp which was (6) tubes 300 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 100lb head approx., with a huge fan that sounded like an airplane taking off sitting on top of 16-10" Altec Lansing speakers in (2) acoustic suspension cabinets that you kicked back and rolled. Combined total weight for moving it all... was around 300lbs! Definitely a 2 person piece of gear to move. But it could sure rattle the teeth and shake the pant legs. Just some memories of "back in the day". And for you techie's, the AMPEG SVT monster tubes, well the anodes ran at 660volts DC back then and it knocked me across the shop when I forgot to discharge those huge caps before working on it! LOL

10. Ruster1

Ruster1 New Member

I have my trusty 1970 Major that was just too loud and too clean for realistic play. I sent her away to be switched to a super lead with a split bias running 2 x KT88 and 2 x El34..the guy who did the conversion sent me a sound clip before shipping it out with the note " this is the loudest f*ing amp he ever worked on"..sounds awesome now..new circuit and tranny's..kept the original parts.. can't play it unless all the neighbors are gone for holiday..
    20190129_210456_resized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    delirium likes this.
  11. ronald a aguiar

ronald a aguiar New Member

Mesa D180 that had the 6- 6l6 power tubes replaced with 6- 6550's, so roughly 300 tube watts, I sold it with a pair of EVM12Ls in a cabinet and the amp took them out 20 seconds into the second song , LOL !! I bought the amp back and used it as a bass amp til I sold to ( thank God) another bass player. That amp was designed as either a bass or a guitar amp

12. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Vox AC30
    ROFL!!! Thats at least a 15k ac

13. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Three loudest amps ihave ownd

Vox ac30
    Fender Twin 120 watter
    Music Man HD 150

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  14. timmfun

timmfun New Member

That guy's video in the first post is pretty much worthless, being that he said he has not played them all and is just going by the usual net info, much of which is wrong and/or biased yet still gets thrown around as accurate. For instance he says Hiwatts stay clean when turned up. No they don't. Cleaner than most other amps of the era, but not like he guesses. Yes I owned 2 hiwatt DR103. Still have one. Same thing with twins and showmans and bassman 100 heads, and even the Fender PS400 he shows at the end he says he never played or saw. Well I owned all those including the PS400 and even it too did not stay clean loud enough either. No fenders stay pure or clean for long, they break up and when they do can get harsh and sloppy in the highs and lows unless dealt with in other ways. After the PS400 failed to be loud enough, I used 70s era Ampeg V4 or V9 heads, and those stayed cleaner louder and cut thru more than the fenders, but still no tube amp will stay clean and very loud. When you get into distortion amps, that is also a debate, as different freq ranges can sound louder but not appear to. For instance many amps that are not as powerful as others can sound louder just because they may have lots of treble and high mids, and conversely one more powerful with a huge low end louder in the lows but shy in the highs may sound quieter than the lowered powered trebley amp. That is all going by ear. And we all have different ears, and bands and rooms, poor memories of what we thought was really loud 30 years ago w a certain amp, etc so really cant fairly compare. On the flip side, you cant go by pure power rating specs either, as makers often skew those, or use different standards to rate them, ie watts at different percent of thd, at certain freqs but not full bandwidth, at peak vs rms, etc. or they straight up either lie or just estimate off the top of their head. Also different speakers can have spl ratings that make one sound twice as loud on same amp, so depends on what you use, as well as open or closed back etc. So really it is all just heresay.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Dogs of Doom and Crikey like this.
  15. Paul Redmond

Paul Redmond New Member

I used a Fender Super Six which was the same as a Twin Reverb but it had 6x10"s, few times had I turned it up all the way (what for?).. The bass player used a early 70's Ampeg V4 4x12 cab and a head of some sort I can't remember (Maybe also Ampeg)..Anyway, short story is that when he was away, I tried it out for guitar, the thing made my Fender Super Six sound like a plastic toy. I think it could be heard up to 5 miles away. It's the cab, didn't really matter so much as to what head was used, anything over 50 watts and we're talking volume, think of the intro to the Car's "My best friend's girl friend", now magnify that by about 10x. Later in life experiments proved it was the cab, for clean they are great, but as for the tone, notso. I personally owned an Ampeg SVT 300 watt tube head and the matching 8x10 cab, whew that thing could vibrate very heavy lamps off of tables at 1/20th it's full volume. Great for bass but as I found out, not for guitar, I thought an 8x10 cab would be as good as the V2 which had 4x12's (not).

Ampegs in general, the Recreation center on the Army post I was at had a V2 head and 2x15 cab I'd play thru sometimes. The method of the build on their cabs was so air tight, you could press on one speaker and the others would protrude forward. They had that special locking plug on the back of most of them so it would not pop out like a normal 1/4" speaker jack, they did that because that is what was happening and sometimes the amp would get damaged from it.

Many have said of the Jet City 100's that they are very loud, and that they sure did not skimp on the transformers. I agree, and I'm very impressed by my JCA 100 HDM, JCA 100 LTD and a JCA50H. The 50H should be more than loud enough for any live gig, but the 100's turn the air into cottage cheese. I use a Moreley ABC switcher with them each thru their own 4x12 and I do that not so much as to raise the volume but to make the sound very, very thick....it's sick sounding! I think two half stacks are enough, the third or 4th just makes it become overwhelming. Whenever I hit the buttons for the 2nd or 3rd amp, sometimes 4th, I have to turn them down as it doubles the sound level. So one 1/2 stack set at comfortable volume and another set the same become 2x as loud when they are both on, there's probably volume pedals which could fix that if I were to need quick changes. A swivel stereo volume pedal could do interesting panning effects.

16. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Same story- marshalls and stacks. Glory days

17. guzzis3

guzzis3 Well-Known Member

SS ratings don't equate to valve ratings because they are taken at very low distortion levels, so a SS amps rating might be at 97% of it's output while a valve amp might be at 50%.

Watts don't matter anyway, it's sound pressure you should be looking at. You could run a quad of fender champs into high sensitivity speakers and get more volume for a rated 20W or something than you could haul out of 1000W of SS stack into low sensitivity speakers (caveat I didn't do the calcs on that, just a rough guess).

It's not loud until your ears start bleeding...

18. The Tone Doctor

The Tone Doctor New Member

Mesa Strategy 500

Attached Files:

19. Totenamp

Totenamp New Member

I think the V9 Ampeg is pretty loud as are Sunn Model Ts but only when they have been changed to 240 volts and mismatched with ohms..a common error found in their transformer windings 8 ohm into 16 ohm cab produced a level 200 watts clean, it was half of that on when standard. But the loudest old amp out there is the West Labs West Filmore 200 watt guitar amp, has little saturation and just gets louder and louder as you turn it up, there is a good reason for why it is called the "ear splitter". The mark 1 found in this attachment was limited to 300 in 1970 so not necessarily the easiest amp to find. There was a mark 2 black face version that followed but again production numbers were low.
    http://www.chambonino.com/work/west-fillmore/west-fillmore.html

20. sinner 13

sinner 13 Well-Known Member

Twins, Supers, and Bassmans are all brutal amps, the secret sauce is the 4 x 10 IMO.
    once fenders start moving large quantities of air that's where they smoke Half stacks.
    This is why I swear by open mid back cabinets, and strongly dislike sealed backs.