Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Lespaulnmarshall, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Lespaulnmarshall

Lespaulnmarshall Well-Known Member

Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone:

Must haves:

- Fender (USA) Strat
    - Fender custom shop 69' pickups
    - Marshall tube amp
    - Good cabinet

Stuff that can be handy:

- Good, all nickel, strings (e.g. John Pearce)
    - Quality cables (Monster, Bullet Cable coily ect...)
    - FuzzFace
    - (Vox or Dunlop JH-1) Wah pedal

First, lets talk about the must haves:

First off, you won't get a Hendrix type of tone with a Les Paul, or anything else that isn't a real Fender Strat you need to get a good one preferably made in the USA, but the Japanese Fenders are great guitars too, especially for the price. Then you have to install some good pickups, Fender Custom Shop 69's are great for a Hendrix type of tone. And of cource you need a Marshall all tube amp, a JTM45, Super lead or VM wich works great for Hendrix too what I recomend. You gotta' mess around a little bit to get settings that sound good for you. And your cab needs to have Greenback speakers in it, but V30's can give you a good Hendrix type clean sound too.

The other stuff:

The strings need to be all nickel if you wat to get as close as you can. (John Pearce sounds best to me) And good cables will help to get the optimal sound out of your guitar. Than, the FuzzFace, it is realy important to have one if you want to get realy close to Hendrix's lead tone. Finaly, the wah pedal, essential, if you realy want to nail the Voodoo Child intro.

That's all you need to know I think.

2. cudamax2343

cudamax2343 New Member

What about the fact that he used a regular right handed guitar restrung lefty that puts the strings in a different spot in relation to the pickup pole pieces and makes the usual strings longer and others shorter, ( it does make a difference ). It's always a good Idea to get those 69 pickups and flip-em. ( All the pole pieces are not flat on those ). And the fact that he ran a lot of 15" speaker cabs and that he played a lot of Bass notes with his thumb with those real long skinny fingers of his?
    [​IMG]

3. Lespaulnmarshall

That's what I forgot, thanks for helping me remember that stuff.
    BTW, 69' pickups should be called the Hendrix pickups.
    I've noutht them today, and they are extremely expencive, but you realy get what you pay for.

4. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

one element too is, in most live and many recording situations, he always kept the fuzz pedal on, and he used the guitars volume to clean up

case in point, the guitar is clean until 1:52-1:53 where the distortion comes in, but its not a sudden, stepping-on-a-pedal kind of transition
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGqPzrNypzw]YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Bold as Love[/ame]

5. DBI5

DBI5 New Member

Don't forget the Univox Uni-Vibe and the Roger Mayer Octavia.

6. cudamax2343

cudamax2343 New Member

And of course we all forgot that 'Famous Head-Ban-dana' Man:lol:
    Can't forget all that late 60's and Early 70's Blotter-Acid on paper with all those nice different designs:naughty: that he put on his head under those bandana's for that special juice to absorb into his blood stream and provide that style of play-in:hippie: I bet-cha that really helped:rock:

7. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I have also read in various intereview with bandmates and producers that Hendrix would sometimes rewind his pickups himself. Not every guitar pickup had this action performed, but who knows which recordings featured a guitar with this application.

Bottom line is that it's tough to go into a store and be 100% dead on (I've heard the claims and after viewing some evidence, sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't). Using a strat and marshall amp is a step in the right direction, but it takes some work. I have gotten over the whole "sound like a guitar hero" phase and just work on getting a good tone and a good song written. But IMHO, the only benefit I see in trying to get some else's sound is that it teaches you how to work the equipment and tweak amp and guitar controls to get a variety of sounds.

8. cudamax2343

cudamax2343 New Member

Is this the 69 style (the old yellowed staggered one in the back) next to the vintage noiseless one?
    [​IMG]

9. Mike_j

Mike_j Active Member

Complete fucking bullshit. Listing a great players gear as a key to capturing their tone is just bollocks. It only gets you to the start line.

IMO-The real key to Hendrix' tone, and that of all great players, was in their fingers, technique and spirit of playing. What we could do is take page out their books and try and pioneer our own sounds but that's a bit too hard isn't it?

Sorry...venting.

10. Lespaulnmarshall

Ohh yes it is a start line, but I can't explain you more cause you'll have to figure that ou your own.

BTW, tone is not all in the fingers, but I can agree if you say for 40-50%

11. Lespaulnmarshall

Don't know, but at least I'm sure it is a Custom Shop pickup because the magnets have different sizes.

12. Lespaulnmarshall

What you have said on the pickups can be true.

On the sound, I can agree. To be honest, I made this thread to help myself and other guys that are interedssed for Hendrix by reading your replys to what I've said to find a similar tone to Hendrixs to base my tone on for my 'tribute to Jimi' CD on. :)

BTW, most of the guys posted the replys I was expecting, but some of you like monstersofthemidway said something on the pickups or benjamin420 who told about the fuzz that was allways on. Those things help me a lot to make a tone for my CD.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  13. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

14. Lespaulnmarshall

:wtf:

15. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Bloody Right Dooley! cork A+ And LespaulMarshall! Just sounds a bit funny ehy, on about Jimi?

16. big dooley

dit soort topics noemen ze hier kurken ruiken... zoals bij wijn... snappie?

flauw geintje... ik weet het...:fingersx:

17. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

I love Google Translate!

"that they call cork smell ... As with wine ... savvy?

silly joke ... I know ..."

Wait... what?:lol:

18. Lespaulnmarshall

Begrijp het, t' was ook niet zo slim van mij om deze te maken, maar ik wil gewon zoveel mogelijk over het geluid van Jimi Hendrix te weten komen voor mijn CD. Maar het is helaas niet zo uitgepakt als ik had verwacht.

19. big dooley

ok, well here's the translation...

20. big dooley

ja, nou bezorg je me een schuldgevoel :(