Tone difference between a 1960 A & B cab?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Stratguy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Stratguy

Stratguy New Member

Is there much tone difference between these two cabs - they are both loaded with celestion 75's. I'm kinda thinking the B might be a little bassier only because of the straight front which obviously gives it a little more square footage / volume? Thanks

2. IbanezMark

IbanezMark Senior Member

I have an A and a B, both with essentially the same speakers.
    The B has more bass response, but the angle on the A makes it a little clearer/easier to hear when practicing.

When I have to choose between the two, I usually pick the B because it sounds a little fuller.

3. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

It only gives a small difference in the room. None when close miked

4. Led4thehed2

Led4thehed2 Active Member

In my humblest of opinions, the difference between these two cabs in IMMENSE! I found the A cabinet to be "bitey" and far too sharp for my tastes. I know they're something like the best selling guitar 4X12 in the world, or so it might seem, but the B cabs have a very different tone that plenty of metal heads prefer. Plenty of 'em play Bs exclusively.

The B cabinet offers smoother, creamier distortion that was less sharp and yes, different bass response. Your tastes might dictate otherwise, but I'd strongly suggest you try 'em both and see which you prefer. Whichever one you end up choosing, I think you'll find the differences to be considerable.

Now go, and rock.:dude:

5. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

I agree the B's have a much more pleasant tone as well as more bass....

6. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

"B" cabs are it.

7. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

I've had A's and B's. I only play B's now for the same reasons others have stated.

8. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

Well... I must just have a humdinger of an A cab... Although it is a Laney and it's loaded with WGS ET-65s. I run it with an 80s 1960B with original G12T-75s... and the B cab is thin which I attribute to the G12T-75s (even though they are orgininal 80s speakers and they are supposed to have a more aggressive mid range then the current ones), and is used strictly for tight bass responce. The Laney is the tone king with FAT mids, but the low end is not quite tight enough.

Just my experience.

9. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Angles work fine, i think there is too much emphasis on straight cabs.

10. TubeStack

TubeStack Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference in sound between the two.

I prefer B cabs, by far. As others have said - more bottom end, fuller sounding, chunkier, more "together" feeling.

I also don't like the way A cabs blast you in the face. And I found that in certain rooms, they shoot too much sound toward the ceiling and cause a lot of nasty, treble-laden reflections that exaggerate the upper-range characteristics of the tone.

11. Salsg

Salsg Well-Known Member

The B cab I used to own had less bass than my A cab, could have been the speakers.
    I prefer A cabs because I want a better sound dispersement.
    As an audience member, I prefer hearing A cabs because the guitarist usually hears him(her)self better. Instead of getting all the treble blast of icepick because the guitarist is only hearing off-axis tone, if they hear it at more ear level, it's usually better for the audience in the direct line of the speakers' beam.

12. T-Bird

T-Bird New Member

Hi.

^^THIS^^ times 100000.

Applies to us bass players as well ;).

It's the audience that always comes first, never forget that if You want to be succesful.

If You're just wanking, then it's your choice of course, but don't blame the audience for their lack of understanding.

Regards
    Sam

13. joemarshalljmp

joemarshalljmp New Member

Thats why when I play a half stack a or b I always bend down on sound checks to here what it sounds like in front of the speaker or stand out in the audience, I do agree that in my house my b cab is bassyer. A full stack is great But I have made myself about deaf because of the cab at my head and could not here myself sing, so sometimes I have been known to turn the top cab backwards just be careful of the angle because you can project too much sound at the drummer.

14. dread1

dread1 Well-Known Member

I dig the B cabs. Fuller

15. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

+1

The A is brighter, the B more resonant. Both together is really killer; you can't get that stage sound without using both. I use just the B more often than not, but if I had some roadies I'd use the full stack no matter how small the place!

Ken

16. TheLoudness!!

TheLoudness!! Active Member

I have both and I think the "B" cab sounds much fuller.

17. Frankie

Frankie Well-Known Member

The huge difference between the two is normally that nobody plays an A cabinet (see all the above posts) so the speakers are never broken in when you plug into one.

In the case of a JCM 800 1960A vs. B, they have totally different speakers, so yeah the A'll sound way different.

18. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

Frankie I dodn't know they have different speakers in the JCM 8oo A's & B's....I have a JCM 800 B cab with G12M-65's in it. I LOVE this cab. What did they use for speakers in the A Cabs? I think mine is from 81 or 82.

19. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of guys lay the top A cab on its side at gigs ;)

20. Frankie

Frankie Well-Known Member

Usually I see 65's in the A cabs and 75's in the B cabs. That's how Pop's '87 JCM800 cabs are. I guess Marshall was as inconsistent as always since your B cab has 65's in it.