to refinish or not to refinish?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by ricksdisconnected, Dec 16, 2019.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i personally would have left it alone.

DaDoc likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

No way anybody in thier right mind would refinish a 58 stratocaster.
    Original is worth several times more than refinished.

3. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

I side with ampmadscientist on this, if its an original 58 leave it alone.

If its not got any value, doesn't matter.

Even old guns, and I believe knives and swords don't clean. Leave the natural patina. Cleaning can devalue them.

anitoli, ricksdisconnected and DaDoc like this.
  4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

It had been refinished at least twice before he got it. Opaque white over black over original white blonde.

You can see that early on when he was removing the flaking paint by pulling it off with masking tape, and then sanded the layers in the neck pocket.

This was more of a "restoration" than a "refinish". If it had just the original finish, it would have been a mistake to refinish, even if the original was in poor condition. But the refinish hit had been taken long ago. Removing the new layers and redoing it in the original color doesn't hurt the value.

If either of the previous refinishes were poly, the resto bumped the value up a little.

5. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Damn! Too bad. :facepalm:

At least they never put a Floyd Rose on it..

My '63 is a refin, but it was done at the Fender factory in '68..And it's Lake Placid Blue, on of my fav Fender finishes! Also, the refin made it affordable for my budget.. :D

6. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

I've tried to watch the kid talk, I can't.

stringtree and ricksdisconnected like this.
  7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Don't be the first guy to refinish it. But if it's already been refinished, no harm in getting it redone right.

8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i kinda feel ya on this one.

stringtree, MickeyJ and tce63 like this.
  9. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem listening to him myself..Seemed like a very dedicated vintage guitar guy who really wanted to do right by that cool old Strat!

And whoever did the refin/restore was blessed good..:cool:

Sometimes ya just got to fix what needs fixing on a vintage instrument. I just had my aforementioned Strat refretted..It's actually been sitting mostly unplayed because the frets were shot and I didn't want to put wear on the fretboard (Brazilian), I Shopped around for a couple of years and finally found a guy in Missoula who did a killer job on it, had him replace the thin vintage frets with medium jumbos..I can't believe how much better it plays, it's like I have a whole new instrument!

I'm sure there's those who would say I shouldn't have put bigger frets on it, some would even say I shouldn't have refretted it at all! But I bought it to play, not as an investment or an showpiece (Although it certainly is both of those!) and I'll likely keep it and play it until I either croak or can no longer play, which in either case I likely won't give a damn anymore! :spock:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  10. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

it's like the b-17 that recently crashed.
    what do you do?
    put em all in a museum or use em?
    I say fret them, paint them whatever , keep the ones that don't sound good original for trading, but the good ones gotta get played.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

still though, an old repaint, somewhat period correct, has more value that a repaint yesterday...

DaDoc and stringtree like this.
  12. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Fender did factory refinishes for customers in the '50s and '60s. Those are worth more than other refinishes.

But other than that, a refinish is pretty much a refinish -- doesn't really matter if it was yesterday or 30 years ago.

And that's assuming the previous refinishes were good refinishes with nitro. I worked at Veneman Music in '80/'81 and the repair shop refinished several '50s and '60s Strats with DuPont Imron (a poly/epoxy paint) while I was there. The customers and the staff knew they were vintage, and the shop could and did spray nitro. But the customers wanted a "better", more durable finish.

And as unbelievable as it may be nowadays, back when I was young people sometimes repainted old guitars with latex housepaint.

I haven't seen any of the kid's other vids, and his droning rambling made me skip through a lot of this vid. So I may have missed details about the previous refins.

But at worst, putting it back to the original white blonde is value-neutral. He's out the cost of the refin but didn't lower the selling price. But if the previous refins were poorly done he actually bumped the value up a bit.

And it looks really good now.

DaDoc and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  13. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Frets are wear items. When they're worn out and no longer do their job well, you refret. The alternative is to have a guitar that does not play satisfactorily.

"I have this '58 Flying V in my collection but the frets are so worn down it's totally unplayable." "Why don't you refret it?" "Blasphemer! Witch! Burn him!"

By that rationale, if you had a very old vintage car, would you simply NOT replace the tires that are dry rotted, cracked, and worn to the belts, just because they're the original ones that came on the car? That's equally silly.

What I'd really like to see is one of the companies that makes solder come up with a solder alloy that can be soldered to existing frets, and builds up the frets, and has the wear resistance and hardness of nickel silver. And is worked at a low temperature. It'd be nice to be able to just rebuild your existing frets for the sake of originality. No ripping frets out of the neck, adding a little damage to the fret slots every time you do it.