To DSL40C or Not to DSL40C, That is The Question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Yanick Roy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Keep in mind that some, not all 40c's had issues with the switching ic's that would mute the amp. If you turn it off and back on it again comes back to life. The ic has to be replaced.

Don't buy one without giving it a proper testing, longer than 5 minutes. Make sure the thing doesn't cut out.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. lp1987x

lp1987x Well-Known Member

Other than your price point, the Studio amps check all of the boxes on your list. Unless you also want to buy an attenuator, I'd strongly suggest the Studio Classic. It can go from plexi-type tones to 80's hard rock with a twist of the volume knob on your guitar. I've posted some clips in other posts here of mine and I think it sounds great.

I also have the Studio Vintage head but I use a Bad Cat Unleash with it to keep the volume down. 5 watts is still really loud when you have to crank an amp to get to its sweet spot.

IMG_6655.JPG

3. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Active Member

Why would you buy a broken 40c when you can get a good one for the same price? I'd get the SC20. If cash is an issue try a Lead 20 or 30 and save even more. Unless of course you need tubes.

4. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Heads and cabs sound better, especiallyi in the case of the studio series because the combo has a 10" speaker. And most combos are open back.

Head and cab are also easier to move if using smaller cabs.

I don't dislike combos, I have several that I like very much. But if I had one amp only, it would be a super-good head and cab.

mcblink, tce63, Yanick Roy and 3 others like this.
  5. Mike Zatezalo

Mike Zatezalo New Member

I was in a similar boat until recently. Always liked Marshalls...never had one....have other amps and try to make them sound Marshall-y when needed,etc. etc. I picked up a new DSL40CR. I love it. It's my first Marshall that I've owned so I can't compare it to the older 40C and 401 but I'm pretty happy so far with the versatility. It takes pedals really well....Between the 2 channels, the boost on each, and using any overdrives...I can get almost any sound I want. I play a wide range of stuff, so that was important to me. I also have a Helix that I like to use in 4cm mode and having that Midi capability to control the amp is great...especially since Marshall wants me to shell out another $150 for the footswitch that controls everything. The half power switch is great, and the CR even has dual-master volumes which really help if you want to play at low volumes (I don't...;).

I also had a chance to try the Origin 20 Combo as well. I loved it. I think if you want that old-school 70's rock sound and a good pedal platform, you could do a lot worse. It's just not quite as versatile and gainy as I want to have on tap for my particular purposes.

I saw a guy the other night playing a studio series JCM 800 through a 1x12 cab. Sounded great. I honestly would recommend going to try each one...see what you like best, then find the best deal you can. If you really prefer the head/cab configuration, then maybe stick to the Studio Series or Origin heads. EDIT: I just went back and read your wishlist. I really think the Origin or Studio Series is probably more up your alley....not that you couldn't get good sounds out of the DSL40CR, but it might be overkill for you.

Trelwheen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. bujin1

bujin1 New Member

I have had the same DSL 40 for about 6 years now and really love it. I would recommend you change the speaker and get the bias set properly, other than that its a good all around tube amp that has great clean tones and well as dirty. for the money you have buy it and see what you think. There are a lot of individual preferences but for a reasonable price its the marshall sound you want. just my 2 cents worth.

BanditPanda and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

:welcome: to the forum, a great place, Cheers :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 New Member

I have a 2008 JCM 2000 DSL 401. This is from the original DSL Line and mine was made in England. I bought it used about eight years ago. I knew the previous owner. I jammed with a guy who had the DSL 40c. We both agreed that mine was the better sounding amp. With my Les Paul I can get Duane Allman tones. With my Strat I can get David Gilmour tones. I usually don’t use an overdrive pedal with this amp. Only issue I’ve had is replacing the solid state rectifier which was about a $40 fix. I also switched out the cheap Celestion speaker for an Eminence Govenour. Mine has a master volume that covers all the channels. Mine also does not have the overheating problems of some of the earlier models of this line. I’m not crazy about the effects loop but it sounds fine with my pedals going right into the amp. If you could find one, I would buy a JCM 2000 DSL 401 before the newer DSL 40 Cs.

tce63 likes this.
  9. jwoods986

jwoods986 Member

Instead of $400 for a used DSL40C that has issues, I would just shop around for the updated one (CR). You should be able to get a used one for only $100 more than the C that you're considering. (unless Canadian prices are way off from US)

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  10. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

You can get a used CR around 5-$600 in canada

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah run away from one thats so buggered up. Bide your time. One might come up. Wait for the CR model so you can switch modes. Or save up for one of the Classic SC20s.
    Its not worth buying, how do you know what else may be wrong?
    Try an Origin and Classic.

12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Please take a good look at these before buying, they can all be had in a combo and are 100% hand wired. They will all do fantastic Marshall tones and are very versatile. These are very well made amps that should last a lifetime. They are all 20w amps, you can get bigger if needed, but these things crank. If you want tone they are great, if it's the emblem you need.... oh well. I bought a hot-rodded Plexi from them, (Chupacabra 50w) and it's quite an amp, well worth some investigating. There is a 20w Chupa as well that is very sweet.
    http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone-son-of-yeti/
    http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/
    http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2525/
    Welcome to the forum!

BanditPanda likes this.
  13. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

You say you record. Don't rule out the DSL40C for your budget. I'm sure the new Studios are fantastic but they need to be cranked. It's classic channel 1 (Green) in the crunch mode can get your hard rock tones but Red 1 will get you there too, just at different settings. You're just using one extra gain stage in the preamp.

Is it a Plexi, a JCM800? No it's a DSL. All I can say is that the DSL40C at reasonable band volumes roars like a Marshall should.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's a really good point. Slightly different tonal balance but Channel 2 with low gain is very similar to Channel 1 Crunch. Not like it has to be too high a gain.

SkyMonkey likes this.