To DSL40C or Not to DSL40C, That is The Question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Yanick Roy, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:22 AM.

1. Yanick Roy

Yanick Roy New Member

Hello all,
    first day, first post.
    I have been playing guitar for 35 years, I have gigged, recorded, etc yet oddly, somehow my hands-on experience has been very limited with Marshalls. Nothing against them, just never happenned. I have never owned one and the few studios where I have worked either didn't have one or the tunes being recorded that day didn't call for that sound.
    That being said I have always loved the famous Marshall sound. Now in my late forties I have decided it's time to get myself one but with the vast array of models, which one is best for me?
    I have read and seeing great things about the DSL40C and I could get a used one for 400$ Canadian but I'm thinking the lead channel might be overkill for me and I will most probably never use the lead channel. Is there a better model for me out there in terms of value? (Will be looking to buy used so include discontinued models too in your suggestions.)
    Open to other brands too.

In short here's the question: As per my wishlist below is there a better value for my money than a 400$ DSL40C

Here's my wish list:

(I have other amps for other sounds, so versatility is pretty low on my list)
    -I want an all valve amp
    -Combo
    -10in+ speaker
    -15W-30W I know DSL40C is 40 but that's my absolute max (a low 5w or 1w switch would be a bonus)
    -Very typical plexi to JCM800 sound, I'm looking for an almost cliché, one trick pony hard rock Marshall sound à la AC/DC, GNR, Aerosmith (no high gain modern sound)
    -Will use it mainly with a 1976 SG
    -1 Channel or 1 channel with a foot switchable boost/crunch

Thanks for your suggestion!

2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

First :welcome: to the forum, a great place for information.

Have you looked at The Origin 50-series ? I know they selling them out in Europe.
    Origin is a great Amp for some 70 sounds like AC/DC and have a switch for 50, 20, or 5 watts.

Many Owners here on the forum that are very happy with them

Cheers :cheers: from Sweden

scozz and Yanick Roy like this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Marshall Forum @Yanick Roy :welcome:

It sounds like you need one of the Marshall Studio amps.
    https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio
    They come in combo or head versions and fit all your wish list demands, but.....

They are going to cost you far more than $400 Canadian.

They are also a relatively recent line, so even if you could find one 2nd hand, it would still be fairly expensive.

The next best option may be the DSL40C you cited.

4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The 40c does have a 40w/20w switch as well.

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hello my fellow Canuck and :welcome:.
    I have the DSL 40. It is an excellent amp. I do however stick to the Green Channel and run it clean, using pedals for whatever other effects I'm looking for.
    I will say that what you are describing leads me to believe that a Marshall Origin Series amp is what you need.
    Old school Marshall vintage tones or a very close approximation. You can get the 20w head or combo. It's a 10". Extremely well thought of on here and there is a dedicated thread for you to read thru.
    Not sure if you can find a used one around however spend the extra 200 bucks and get a new one. I am almost certain you will be extremely pleased with it.
    BP

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, many options for your needs, but you can’t go wrong with the Dsl40c’s.
    My two cents.
    Mitch

Trelwheen, Yanick Roy and tce63 like this.
  7. Yanick Roy

Yanick Roy New Member

Thanks all for your suggestions, great food for thoughts...
    More info on the used DSL40C I might be getting: Apparently the effects loop is damaged and doesn't switch easilly (won't be using it anyways) the mids button is missing. It's the black limited edition.
    I'm thinking at 400$ using only green channel might be a steal no?
    Is there a way to footswitch between clean and crunch on ch 1 or it's only between ch1 and 2

tce63 likes this.
  8. Gunner64

Where are you located?

9. Yanick Roy

Yanick Roy New Member

Montreal, Qc, Canada

10. Gunner64

I just thought I'd ask, as I have a mint 40c with the footswitch I'd sell you for that if you were close..but I'm in Iowa.

Mitchell Pearrow and Yanick Roy like this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

DSL40C is the correct answer for pretty much any amp situation.

If that shit is broken it's definitely not worth $400 USD though

tce63 likes this.
  12. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the nut hatch! :headbanger:

Any of the previous suggestions should work well for you and put a smile on your face. Marshall have really come through in recent years in expanding the choices and versatility of their product lines.

The DSL and Origin lines have proven to be pretty reliable workhorses with great features and sound, and at working man's prices.

The studio series bring the Plexi and JCM800 to the table with lower power, amazing tone and a much smaller price tag. These are built in England

You might consider buying new, since you would get a full warranty. Just a thought.

Since you mentioned you've never owned a marshall, I'm sure we are all curious what amps you have always used in the past.....?

tce63 likes this.
  13. Yanick Roy

Yanick Roy New Member

I've mainly used my trusted 1965 Gemini I Ampeg (a 15w "cleaner but not" similar but different sort of deluxe reverb with a twist) and mostly with an heavilly modified MIJ 87 Squier tele (OC Duff Buckaroos, Rutters bridge, Rothstein electronics)

When recording I've sometimes also used a Pro Junior I (great recording amp!)

tce63 and Trelwheen like this.
  14. Trelwheen

Wow yeah the Pro Junior is a force of nature...amazing little monster. I had one in a stereo rig with a Laney LC15. I regret selling them both.

Yanick Roy likes this.
  15. BanditPanda

Foot switch does not change within the same channel. Only from Green to Red. One of the complaints about that model was the fact that both channels are tied to the same EQ section.
    Is the stock Celestion 70/80 still in it.? Most of us swapped that out.
    There is a lot broken on that amp imo. I am not convinced it is worth CAD400.
    If you could get it for 350 then I'd say go for it but lets face it that amp has been mistreated and misused in order to have those functions broken. What's going to go next is the big question.
    BP

16. Yanick Roy

Yanick Roy New Member

17. Listogast

Listogast Member

I have yet to find something that my DSL40 can't do. For what you want, you'd probably be fine using the crunch mode the whole time.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Trelwheen

So true

I hate getting anything that already needs repair, and like @BanditPanda said it sounds like that amp hasn't been cared for very well.

Go for the gold, Yanick! You've played guitar for what, 35 years? Make getting your first Marshall an event. Grab an SV20 head, a 1x12 or 2x12 cab and a tube screamer. Then lock yourself in your jam room for awhile.

:cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. Yanick Roy

Yanick Roy New Member

I like that thought a lot... Not sure Mrs Roy would like that though... :)
    Excuse my ignorance but why would you favor head/cab format over combo?

20. BanditPanda