Those with the SC20, 2525, or SV20 are you getting an Origin too?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Msharky67, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Those who have any of the three studio heads are you getting the Origin too? Can you tell me your thoughts between them? I am still torn on what to do about getting the SV20. Now I hear quality issues with the SV20 the tolex is pealing and the faceplate coming off. I am definitely not paying $1200 for it. I just scored a pair of 75 speakers to swap out of a 212 cab for my 1960. I may put the 1960 up for sale at some point. It is cheaper and now that the SV20 exist it would be a wise move to get it but I am still torn over the Origin 20 too. My 800 screams for sure. I put the PS-1 back on my Christmas list as it did work for the studio heads. I am not hearing enough clips from people about the Origin except from Mitch. It sounds good but I need more examples. AC/DC, Judas Priest etc...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I own all three studio heads. I have owned the SV20H since the end of January. I haven't had any problems with tolex or the faceplate. I had an Origin 20H for a while and directly compared it side by side with the SV20H. I bought an Origin 20H when they first came out but had to send it back due to the speaker jack problem. Later, I ended up picking a used one up for cheap. I had high hopes for it thinking it might do that AC/DC Judas Priest thing. It was in the ball park for sure but never nailing those tones. The SV20H nails those tones and a lot more. If the faceplate wrinkled up like a raisin and all the tolex came off I would still keep it over the Origin 20H. I sold the Origin 20H quickly after doing the side by side comparison. You would be able to get any tone the Origin 20H does with your existing amps like your, Mini Jubilee or even your DSL. That Plexi style gain is just not there in the Origin. Think of it more like a fender deluxe using pedals to achieve a "plexi" type tone. To be brutally honest, there is no comparison. The SV20H is way more capable of authentic "plexi" type tones. With 2 channels and 4 inputs, the variety of tones in the SV20H will smoke the Origin.

3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I only own the 2525 not the SC or the SV. I'm not gassing for an Origin.

One reason is that I don't need a pedal platform type amp because I hardly use pedals.

Another reason is that I own an a JTM45.

I can't see the Origin doing anything the clean channel on my Jubilee amps or my JTM45 can't do.

If there was a 100 watt version of the Origin I might be interested, though. I have my 50 watt and 20 watt needs covered and my next amp will be a 100 watt amp. I do occasionally play out door gigs. Either a 1959 or 2555x, or a 2466.

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Actually I have been thinking about it a bit. I’ve been watching GC online Marshall amps for sale to look for a nice deal.

I think if an Origin 20h showed up for around $300 I might take the plunge.

I’d really prefer to get an SV20 but it’s way beyond my budget. Oh, btw I have an SC20.

5. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have the 2525H, DSL20HR and Origin 20H. I will be getting the SV20H and SC20H.

Its hard to keep coming up with viable reasons to share with others the reason for ownership of more than one from any of the 20 watts. They all are what they are.

This is what i see for me in the foreseeable future. Once i get the SV and SC i will most likely move the Origin 20H and maybe even the DSL. Not because I don't like them. Only because i don't buy these heads for a nice collection to look at. If there's redundancy then i don't need it. Remember i also own all the 50th Anniversary Marshalls so tube amps are stacking up for me. Like so many have said, the SV is a scaled down 1959 period. I played one briefly and i concurr that is spot on. So in comparison what is the point of keeping the Origin. It is a nice sounding amp. I love the clean sounds it gets but it essentially only teases the Plexi thing. If you have a ton of pedals, which i do, and you base your tones off that exclusively and enjoy experimenting a lot with those boxes then the Origin is a great call. If you want as close to the real thing as is available from Marshall that is usable for most players then the SV is the $hit.

The DSL20HR i have the same feelings about. Great amp and i like both channels. But, for high gain purposes i give the nod to my 2525H and I cut my teeth on JCM 800s. I feel like the SC is going to hit that gain spot for me better than the DSL20HR. And, it should for the price. I'll tell anybody good things about any of the 3 i have but tossing voicings aside the Mini Jubilee 2525H is the better amp of the 3. Is it almost $1000 better? No. But, it's better and that is worth it to me.

I wouldn't let a couple of instances online of folks talking about face plates and tolex make your decision for you. There's no telling what caused that and it comes across as very isolated.

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Best scenario is get both and send the one back you don't want otherwise it will eat you alive wondering if you made the right choice and you'll end up getting them both eventually but wont have the luxury of getting a full refund on the one you don't want. This is exactly what I did with the ORI20 and DSL20 heads, neither one cut it for me and they both went back and I got an SC20 that went back for an SV20 which I've decided to keep. Its still gnawing at me how a full sized 1959 compares to my SV20 but not as badly since I've heard from enough people that have both and said they are comparable. :yesway:

So break out the credit card right now and stop torturing yourself! :yesway:

7. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I have the SV20H and consider getting the O20H as both a backup and the other side of my stereo rig (makes sense since it seems to be pretty much the same power amp section, and it's pretty cheap, at 300€-ish brand new).
    Honestly, as far as tone is concerned, which to me is very much the most important factor, the SV is stellar. By far one of if not the best amp I've ever owned or played. And, as I've mentioned several times, feel is amazing on that amp. To me, that's the most important factor on getting an amp, especially compared to cosmetics (but the SV also looks great).
    Tbh I don't expect the Origin to be as good as the SV, but then again, I mostly need its power amp. If it has good edge of breakup tones (which are my baseline for pretty much anything), that'd be a bonus, but as things stand right now, I don't expect anything to replace my SV anytime soon. It's that good.

8. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I am going to go with my gut and say keep saving for the SV20. I may end up unloading the Bugera 1960. I am waiting to get the speakers to see if that makes a difference. I may end up liking it and not get anything. But I highly doubt that. At least buy me some time to save up. I hate charging anything anymore. Its not worth it. I still owe a couple hundred on my 800 so I need to get that cleared first. It will be worth the wait and patience. Maybe see one for a great price too. Just have to watch.

9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I will also add to your question from my experience.

All Marshall fans had been anticipating something new for a couple of years but were disappointed when nothing came out tube wise. Then, the Origins and DSL's hit. I jumped on them thinking this may have been what we were overhearing.

In all honesty and this hopefully doesn't come across to Marshall or anybody else the wrong way. Those amps are a great bang for the buck but once i saw the Studios come out later my first thought was "They got me". Great marketing strategy if i may say so. As good as i speak of the 2 i have if i had known the Studio series was coming right behind them i wouldn't have bought the Origin or DSL. My "jump" would've been the SC and SV. That was what i thought was coming or something like that. I knew the MJ 2525 shouldn't sit long by itself. Straight honest truth.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I can see and understand this scenario for sure!

11. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

I have the SC20H. No interest in the Origins.

scozz, Ian Alderman and tce63 like this.
  12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

SC20 and SV20 here, never had any interest in the Origin. I got my SC20 used for $825 shipped and my SV20 for $925 shipped, both are perfect. For anyone passing on a SC or SV because of cost, I'd keep an eye on the used market.

scozz, LCW, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

Happy SC owner here, and I must say that I personally have no interest in the Origin. I'm very happy not to have bitten when the Origins and revamped DSLs came out, because the next amp I would like to get is the Studio Vintage, though I'm trying to find a use for the amp for my tastes and it may not happen for me (not knocking the amp, I may not have a legitimate use for the amp and want to avoid redundancy.). These things are definitely life amps, and I wouldn't let what seems to be a couple of isolated issues deter you from getting what it is that you're wanting. I'd just save up if it were me, and pull the trigger when you know the time is right. Life is WAY too short for should've, would've, could've.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow, LCW and 2 others like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Studio series all 3 are awesome!

15. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

'67 you still scratching your head over this!?
    You get the same answers every time you make a new post about it.
    Save your dineros and get the SV or SC.
    That's all she wrote!
    BP

16. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

No. Get an Origin when I have an SV20H? ROFL! :noway:

tce63 and BanditPanda like this.
  17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey! Stop humping my plexi!:rofl:
    BP

Trapland and tce63 like this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

If I hump my Origin- will it turn into a Plexi :eddie::fever::hmm:

19. charlysays

charlysays Member

I have a 2525h and an SV20h. I wasn't planning on getting the SV20h but I sold a lot of my big PA gear and had a voucher on ebay and got a new one for £650 / $845. Registered it for the 3 year warranty too.
    I've used marshall valve heads since the early 00s and on a couple of occasions they have gone up in smoke. Whilst this was annoying it never happened at a gig and the amps were cheap to repair. As such I think having a backup amp is important anyway. The studio heads are small and light enough to make it logistically easy to use both at the same time in most venues- run a stereo setup with an ABY switch. Backup amp and stereo/ lots more tones available in one fell swoop- what's not to like?
    I think watching a very thorough youtube comparison between the 2525h and SV20h by a brazillian guy also convinced me to get an SV20h. The SV20 is definitely more musical, harmonic and has a greater dynamic range than the 2525h but definitely requires you to somewhat play the amp as well as your guitar which is an interesting new challenge for me. If I was playing in a classic rock band I don't think this would apply as much though. The SV20 is harder to tame and use, the 2525h is more accessible.
    So in short I think having two heads is a good plan for reliability anyway as they can go pop on occasion (around every 10 years in my experience).

20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Yeah i have the mini jube combo and the SV 2, different flavors. Jube has more gain for the higher gain stuff or can use it for lower too:)