this H&K amp is solid.

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ricksdisconnected, Dec 10, 2019.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

anybody here own one of these?

2. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Great concept but it seems to me to have an awfully lot that could go wrong. It is also pretty pricey, and it does sound like an H&K which some like, some don’t. I was close to pulling the trigger on one until I read about how hot they run—lots of heat plus lots of failure points equals a pass for me.

3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I saw this video too. I like a lot of what Darrel Braun does, but I'm not crazy about this amp. I thought the OD channel was too fuzzy, and for some reason I'm not crazy about having all the built-in effects on board. Also, this amp uses EL84's and not EL34's - which I thought was strange for a 40w amp.

Before I bought my DSL I looked at the H&K 36w and it didn't care for the format of it. Seemed more toy-like vs other amp heads.

4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine owns one, he loved it, I was more on the fence. It's a very handy amp to move around and works good with 1 & 2-12" cabs. The ultra channel is way over the top, fizzy to, kinda like my JVM was on the OD's. It will do a lot of different stuff and has a ton of power. They also make another 40w amp without some of the effects stuff I liked better. I think it was about $500 less to. He was going to sell it once, if your interested let me know because his is brand new and he never plays it. I can find out anything you want in any case.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

shoot im nowhere near in the market for said amp. thanks though.
    this company has a huge following.

6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It's a very complicated amp and will do just about anything. My only problem is it leans a little towards a modern sounding amp which is not my thing, although this one will do some vintage stuff too. It's funny, these amps are very complex but as long as I'v know about them I have never seen one go down. I guess they must be better made than I give them credit for. There are a ton of heavy hitters that use them to, but you never see them on stage. I guess I would say if you needed an amp that could cover a wide range and be easy to move around every other night, this would be a great choice. If you see one try it out, well worth the time.

ricksdisconnected likes this.