Thinking of joining the Marshall user family. Looking for opinions.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by HandsomeandHumble, Jan 30, 2020.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Take a good look at the 2202 HW 20w amp by Ceriatone. It’s a hand wired amp something like an 800 series Marshall amp but more versatile. It should work very well for the music you play, and you can buy one new for about $650. They also make other high end amps you might like. Mesa Boogie is another amp company you may like, the Fillmore series and Mark 25 & 35 would work great, but more money.
    Welcome to the forum!

HandsomeandHumble likes this.
  2. HandsomeandHumble

HandsomeandHumble New Member

Thank you all so much for the recommendations!! Looks like I have lots of research to do! It may be a while considering the fact that I’ll need to sell the fender first, but you all have given me lots to consider.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Most suggestions so far are pricey imo.
    Go to a music store and check out the Marshall Origin Series. Heads or combo's doesn't matter.
    I don't own one. Have heard many from YT and have read the praises of this amp from many many member owners.
    According to the music preferences that amp will nail it.
    No doubt.
    BP

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:welcome: To the forum of Marshall
    Please don’t dismiss the Dsl40c’s, they are great amps as well, and can be found on GC used all day long for $500 and under, the Origin is a great choice, I know because I have them both, and they are in your budget.
    Cheers Mitch

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, I missed that @HandsomeandHumble,...thanks for catching that Mitch! The Dsl40c is a great amp and a great value now. Mitch is absolutely correct, there are quite a few on GC website for $500, or even less if you bargain with them. You’d be hard pressed to find a better value for your money in a Marshall amplifier.

6. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@HandsomeandHumble
    A DSL20CR with a speaker upgrade or DSL20HR with a nice 2X12 is a total Deluxe Reverb Slayer and right in that same volume range. I might suggest a good attenuator to go with it, so that you can run that puppy wide open, right where it (and its player) are usually happiest! See this thread to build/learn about the best attenuator out there:

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/

And oh yeah, I would not recommend the Origin, but don't want to start a piddlin' match over why! Note that I've got a DSL20CR and DSL40CR and had an Origin 20 at the same time. Sent the Origin back and am looking to sell the DSL40CR! The DSL20 is much closer to Old School style response and tones!

Best To Ya & :welcome: To The Forum!
    Gene

7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Simply a matter of taste. The ratio of happy Origin owners vs. the unhappy Origin owners has got to be a hundred to one. ( not that I've counted )
    BP
    p.s. Needless to say however I am a happy owner and user of the DSL40.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Get a dsl40cr.
    They're cheap
    Powerful.
    Portable.
    And plenty versatile.

Just buy it new so you have a warranty.
    Most of the used recommendations will cost more than the new dsl.

9. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

The Studio Series would be a great choice if you’re willing to spend a little bit more...

11. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Happy DSL40CR user here.:uk:

12. Lance Chambers

You know! If I bought a DSL40CR my wife would say, "Why do you have all those big amps when that one is plenty? You need to sell those!" :erk:

13. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Ask your wife why she have needs to have 100 pairs of shoes in the closet that she would never use....

You may end up in the doghouse but you win the argument....

14. Lance Chambers

So true! :h5:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. ShredMojo

ShredMojo Member

The DSL/TSL series are based on the JCM 2000 you already had. The JVM was the next evolution of Marshall's high gain channel switchers. Theres kinda 2 sides of Marshall tone, the classic/vintage Marshall and the harder high gain Marshall tone. All of the channel switchers try to do both, but really they are made for higher gain. The JCM800 and SC20 probably fall in the middle of the 2 sides.

It sounds like you are more into the classic/vintage tone. The "Plexi" tone. The Origin and SV20 definately fit that category, There is also the Vintage Modern which would be my suggestion. It's an easily overlooked Marshall, but they can be had for $600-800 used. Even the 100 watt heads can be tame volume wise. You can probably even find a 2x12 combo for under $1k.

16. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Maybe I should modify my statement to:

Happy DSL40CR and VS65R user here.:uk:

Just one is never enough!

17. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

For what your describing OP I think you might like the Origin series. I love my Origin 20h's.

18. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: if you're still looking for a Marshall amp, the Vintage Modern 2266C is a good amp on the used market that produces some great tones. Designed as a 2x12 combo with power output of 50 watts, the 2266C comes loaded from the factory with Celestion G12C rated at 25 watts output, which I've used and was very impressed. Additionally, the 2266C is designed with a quad of KT66 power tubes, built-in serial effects loop, built-in reverb, and footswitch operation. Though the 2266C is a one channel amp, it has enough range to tweak a variety of tones for a variety of musical genres. Without question, the 2266C is one of the best combos I've ever heard (I played a few with a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe).

You should be able to find the Vintage Modern 2266C for well under $1K, but you'll also need to look at the details for each listing such as modifications, speaker changes, repair history, footswitch included, and hours of use for power tubes and preamp tubes; details like these might help you make an informed decision and guide you to the fairest price.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  19. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

The 2266C it's designed with a pair of KT66. The VM2466 it's designed with a quad of KT66.

I'm agree the VM it's a good amp. Also It's affordable on the used market.
    :cheers:

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I use my SC20 for Classic rock tones, (mostly from the 70s), sounds great! I keep the preamp volume a bit low, anywhere from 2 to 4 for the majority of the time with a clean boost, sometimes higher. It fits the genre perfectly imo.